Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Teen Murder Mystery Party

Anyone out there done a murder mystery party for their teen? I have one coming up. "Death by chocolate" is the title. Just looking for a heads up for any complications that might arise. We have a dinner party planned with french food to go along with the theme. Hoping this will pull off smoothly!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I don't have any suggestions yet, I just wanted to say that I bet that this is going to be so much fun!

Please share details with us as you plan the party and let us know how it turns out!

What a great theme!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have done several Mystery nights at the Library I work at. We have used several different formats, but since I have a bit younger group (tweens---middle school age) the best format for my group has been more of a mock trial with the kids being the jury.
I did do a murder mystery program similar to what you are planning where the kids were the characters of the mystery and had to solve the crime. It was fun with the older kids.
Did you buy a kit that provides everything you need for the mystery? I know I find being prepared ahead of time is work ,but helps make the evening go smoothly.
Give yourself plenty of time. It is surprising how fast the time goes.
Sometimes the kids seemed to need a nudge in the right direction once in a while. Depending on your group they can get distracted. Some of the kids can be a bit leary at first, but they all seem to have fun once they get started.
Of course you have the main item of attraction for any group that age---Food!!
I think your teens will have a great time. My groups always want to know when we are having the next Mystery night.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes I did buy a kit. The kit works for 8 characters. My son's list was 9, so he is going to play the detective. I will be there as a waitress at this french restraunt that we are trying to pull off!

I am in hopes the kids will get into the costuming etc. of their character, including accents, and step out of their own person. I think one of the girls definately will and between her & I speaking with french accents and what not hopefully they'll all get into it.

The kit came with a DVD which I would like to use, but at the same point their are times the guys accent makes it hard to understand.

This will be interesting! We wanted to do something unique since this is my son's last year (8th) with this group of kids as a whole. Next year they all have to choose highschools to attend and they won't all be together again. His choice of schools their will only be at most 4 of them headed to.

I've enjoyed watching these kids grow up together. I plan to take lots of photos that night!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

I don't have any suggestions for the party mystery itself, but maybe you should make "Death by Chocolate" for dessert! Here is my recipe:

I prepared box of chocolate cake mix (use any type of baking pan)

2 boxes of cooked chocolate pudding made according to directions

1 1/2 large tub of Cool Whip topping

8 Nestle Crunch bars (regular size bars or use 2 super jumbo bars) crumbled/chopped

Prepare the cake mix and the pudding according to directions on the boxes. After cooling, divide the cake into 3 even portions. Using a LARGE trifle bowl, crumble 1 portion (1/3 of the cake) of the cake into the bottom of the bowl. Next, layer it with 1/3 of the pudding. Next, layer the pudding with 1/3 of the whipped topping. Next, sprinkle a layer of crumbled Nestle Crunch Bars (using 1/3 of the total crumbles). Continue to layer the cake, pudding, whipped topping, and Nestle Crunch bars until you have completed 3 full layers (the top layer should be the Cool Whip with Nestle Crunch Bar Crumbles). It easily serves 20 people (maybe less if you are chocoholics like my family are!!).

Have fun at the party!!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We did one a few years back. I found by reading through the whole thing beforehand, I was prepared. It is important to keep an eye on timing and an ear on the times when they need to divulge information.
Our guys all had a great night and all got into it well. They were 14 I think.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I was thinking I should read it complete prior without letting my son know "who did it". I've been testing our recipes to make sure the kids will like them, today I made beef carbonnade. It was pretty tasty, not the most attractive dish though. Still browsing.
I will definately have to try that triffle Sue, it sounds delicious!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Let us know how it all turns out and post some photos if you like.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

this idea sounds SO kewl! Even for adults! Thanks

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The count down begins...I took chocolates and put them individually into those see thru wedding favor boxes and put a "gift tag" onto them with each of the "characters" names on them for place cards at the table. I made matchbook style notepads for each attendee to keep note of "who did it".

Since this is suppose to be at a fine french restraunt I made a menu since all kids tastes aren't the same. I gave them 4 appetizers to choose from; salad, shrimp ****tail & shrimp scampi. 2 Entrees - Chicken Cordon Bleu & Beef Carbonnade, with mashed potatoes & honeyed carrots. 4 desserts; Chocolate mousse, cheesecake, molten choc. cake, and fruit w/choc. fondue. Of course I worded the menu very frenchy and included high-end prices. I plan to serve it very frilly, like they were at a high end restraunt as well.

I believe all the kids have figured out what they are wearing based on their character. My other kids are all taking "parts" to assist. My daughter will take coats, youngest son will be the "murderee" and he doesn't need to speak just lie there after the event for a brief time until we move out of the room by the inspector. My middle son is waiting on them with me. Most everything I can prep in advance and it "should" go smoothly.

I'm excited! and to add to the excitement everything is happening in our brand new dining room we just added on and finished. Plus my son gets to show them the rec room that we have recently redone and added his new bedroom.