Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Carnival Birthday party ideas?

We are planning on a carnival theme party for my dd's 6th birthday at the end of May.

I'm looking ideas for games and entertainment that can be done on a budget. I'm thinking 5 or 6 games at the most. I would love to find a teenage girl who could face paint but that's up in the air at this point. What other types of entertainment/activities could we do?

Have you ever thrown a party like this? I'd love to hear what worked well and what didn't.

For the food, I'm planning on hot dogs, popcorn, cupcakes for the cake (I'm going to let them decorate them). Since it's going to be hot, I was thinking of renting a snowcone machine instead of popcorn but I'm not sure how much a machine would cost to rent. We do have a party rental place nearby so I will have to check that out.

With all of the food and little prizes for the games, do you think that goody bags are necessary?

Thanks for your help!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Do you have the space to do this?
Here's a game the kids might like.
DIME TOSS
A small area roped off will work.
Take a couple of cardboard boxes and cover them with carnivla themed fabric or paper, turn them upside down, then repeat with another 'layer' using smaller boxes.
Look for glass or plastic dishes in varying sizes, place them on the boxes, using dimes or dofferent colored ping pong balls have the kids toss them into the dishes. The smaller the dish, the bigger the prize.
The different colored ping pong balls work great for this since there is no squabbling over who got their 'dime' in what dish.

You could make cotton candy if you can locate a cotton candy machine. They do make them for kids.

Popcorn made in a popcorn cart is always fun.
Candy Apples

You could have a 'duck pond'. You need a small wading pool filled with water and some rubber duckies, using a sharpie marker put nubmers on the bottoms of the duckies. Have a star on the bottom opf one, who ever gets that duckie gets the "big" prize.

Think about some of the games at Kennywood. Since you are from PA I know you know what Kennywood is.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You can take a sturdy piece of cardboard and cut out some holes marked with points and let the kids throw little balls or something soft into the holes. A toss type game.

You can also take a fishing pole, remove the hook and tye on a paperclip or a potatoe chip clip and put up some type of wall (or let them fish through an open window, with the fish (you attaching gifts and tugging it for them to reel in their prize.

You can also get a sheet of very inexpensive wet and wear tattoes for their faces and or hands if you can't get anyone to face paint.

If you have prizes (I suggest oriental trading for these or party city (and get lots of very little cheap things in party favors aisle) then I would not give goodie bags they are already getting something. Not sure who started the goodie bag thing, but not necessary to give a gift to someone who you invite to a party. Good Luck!
Deidra
N. Carolina
Old 04-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, that sounds fun! I think that since you have prizes for the games, goody bags are not necessary--but it would be good to give each child a bag for their prizes! That winds up being the goody bag. They fill it up as they go.

Good way to find a high-school girl who can paint faces is either to call your local high school or church. The youth pastor might be able to help.

You can make a bean bag toss game with a heavy piece of cardboard/presentation board, with holes cut out and the board decorated.

Fishing game can be fun if you attach a magnet to the end of the fishing line, and use prizes that have a little metal in them.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Nine Year Member

You could make a fishing pond. Use long sticks with a string tied on with a clothes pin for the poles and throw over a fence or sheet hung over a clothes line out side or inside. And have somebody clip prizes in the clothes pins. The prizes are the fish just tug on the line to let them know they have a fish.

Ball toss game.
Use a hoola hoop tied to a rope and swing to have the kids try to get the ball through the hoop. You could give them points to add up for prizes or give a prizes for however many balls they get through the hoop.

Or line up some stuffed animals and have them throw a tennis ball at them and see how many they can hit and knock over.

Pie throwing booth.
Take some aluminum pie pans with shaving cream and toss at some one whose willing to have it thrown at them.

Or blow up balloons, tie with strings to a clothes line and cover with shaving cream and see who can shave the balloon without breaking it. They usually get covered with the shaving cream, because they cut into the balloon.

You could have a Cake Walk and use cupcakes as prizes.
The kids walk on numbers in a circle to music and when the music stops a number is called and the person on that number wins a cake.

Good luck with the party. And Face Painting is alway cool.
Vicky C.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coll
Do you have the space to do this?
Here's a game the kids might like.
DIME TOSS
A small area roped off will work.
Take a couple of cardboard boxes and cover them with carnivla themed fabric or paper, turn them upside down, then repeat with another 'layer' using smaller boxes.
Look for glass or plastic dishes in varying sizes, place them on the boxes, using dimes or dofferent colored ping pong balls have the kids toss them into the dishes. The smaller the dish, the bigger the prize.
The different colored ping pong balls work great for this since there is no squabbling over who got their 'dime' in what dish.

You could make cotton candy if you can locate a cotton candy machine. They do make them for kids.

Popcorn made in a popcorn cart is always fun.
Candy Apples

You could have a 'duck pond'. You need a small wading pool filled with water and some rubber duckies, using a sharpie marker put nubmers on the bottoms of the duckies. Have a star on the bottom opf one, who ever gets that duckie gets the "big" prize.

Think about some of the games at Kennywood. Since you are from PA I know you know what Kennywood is.
I actually miss going to Kennywood!

My daughter wants a duck pond so I'm trying to think of an alternative to buying a lot of rubber duckies. lol!

Your description of the dime toss game is great. Yes, we will have a small side yard and a small back yard once we move so this might work.

Thanks!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidra
You can take a sturdy piece of cardboard and cut out some holes marked with points and let the kids throw little balls or something soft into the holes. A toss type game.

You can also get a sheet of very inexpensive wet and wear tattoes for their faces and or hands if you can't get anyone to face paint.
We are going to have some sort of toss game.

I think that we will go with tattoos insteads of face paiting--that should be easier all of the way around. Maybe on their hands or arms instead of their faces. I can ask my son if he would like to be in charge of this.

I'm also thinking of asking some of his buddies if they would like to help out working some of games. (They're 11 yr. olds. I figure that I can bribe them with something to get them to help. lol!)

Thanks so much!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
Tami, that sounds fun! I think that since you have prizes for the games, goody bags are not necessary--but it would be good to give each child a bag for their prizes! That winds up being the goody bag. They fill it up as they go.

Fishing game can be fun if you attach a magnet to the end of the fishing line, and use prizes that have a little metal in them.
I was thinking of buying plastic popcorn buckets to put their prizes in, depending on how many say that they are going to attend. Then again, there's no handles on them and they wouldn't be able to lay them down to play the games without everything falling out--I'm talking myself right out of them!

I wonder if I can find small white paper bags with handles on them that I could decorate to look like popcorn containers?

Do you have any other suggestions for bags?

I was thinking of playing a fish game with magnetic fish and then giving out prizes but your idea of fishing for the prizes are even better. It would take one whole step out of the equation. I'm going for this one!

Thanks, Barb!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRae
You could make a fishing pond. Use long sticks with a string tied on with a clothes pin for the poles and throw over a fence or sheet hung over a clothes line out side or inside. And have somebody clip prizes in the clothes pins. The prizes are the fish just tug on the line to let them know they have a fish.

Ball toss game.
Use a hoola hoop tied to a rope and swing to have the kids try to get the ball through the hoop. You could give them points to add up for prizes or give a prizes for however many balls they get through the hoop.

Or line up some stuffed animals and have them throw a tennis ball at them and see how many they can hit and knock over.

Pie throwing booth.
Take some aluminum pie pans with shaving cream and toss at some one whose willing to have it thrown at them.

Or blow up balloons, tie with strings to a clothes line and cover with shaving cream and see who can shave the balloon without breaking it. They usually get covered with the shaving cream, because they cut into the balloon.

You could have a Cake Walk and use cupcakes as prizes.
The kids walk on numbers in a circle to music and when the music stops a number is called and the person on that number wins a cake.

Good luck with the party. And Face Painting is alway cool.
Vicky C.
We actually have a short fence that we could use for fishing. I like this!

I've been trying to think of a tree to hang a hula hoop in but I don't think that we have one. I have a tree right next to our house but I could see it now....a football right into a window! Not happening. lol!!

No shaving cream -- especially if I get 4-5 11 yr. old boys to help out. Can you just picture that!!

Thanks so much!!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom
We actually have a short fence that we could use for fishing. I like this!

I've been trying to think of a tree to hang a hula hoop in but I don't think that we have one. I have a tree right next to our house but I could see it now....a football right into a window! Not happening. lol!!

No shaving cream -- especially if I get 4-5 11 yr. old boys to help out. Can you just picture that!!

Thanks so much!!!
You don't need to hang the hoola hoop from a tree...just get a volunteer to hold one either straight out or like a basket ball hoop...they just need to make sure they keep it even for everyone...

Water bottle bowling is also fun!!

baggypants