Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
In Need of Sports Themed and Hawaiian Luau Ideas

As requested by Hummingbird_0331........

I'm in need of ideas for DS's birthday party in July. He will be 7 yrs old. I was wanting to do sports themed things..any ideas on that too? Decorations, loot bags (things to go in it), foods? games?

ANY HELP will be appreciated...Thanks!!

Also for daughters Bday..she wants a Hawaiian (Luau) party..I'm in need of ideas for decorations, foods, lil gift bag ideas and things...fun games to play.

If anyone would have anything laying around they don't need and wouldn't mind passing them on to me I would love ya!!...lol

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Here is a link for some really good luau ideas

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...t=luau+parties

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

blushing Hey ajrsmom!!! long time no talk too.....

Check out www.orientaltrading.com they have tons of inexpensive stuff for parties...decorations, party favors and I know at one time, they had pages of luau stuff....

They send out several catalogs a year all themed for the holidays--valentines, 4th of July etc.

See--even tho I haven't posted in quite awhile....I'm still keeping tabs on ya!!

Old 06-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Nine Year Member

Hey Hummingbird_0331,

Here's some ideas for a Sports themed party;
Make a cake in a round cakepan or round metal bowl. Then decorate the cake as as baseball, basket ball, soccor ball.

Some games could be a Football toss. Swing a hoop back and forth and have the guests try to throw the ball through it.

Make a round pinata and decorate it as a sports ball and fill with candy or small toys. Blind fold the kids and let them swing to hit it.
For the pinata you need newspaper tore in strips, flour and water, and a round balloon. Blow up the balloon and tie off. Then suspend from a hanger from the ceiling. Cover the floor under it before stripping the balloon. Tear the papers into about 2" by 6" strips. Then mix flour and water to make a paste in a pie or small cake pan. Dip paper in paste and slide between fingers to even out glue then cover the balloon on all sides. About three layers should be heavy enough to hold shape. Please dry in between each layer. Then decorate in colors or style you want. you need to cut a hole on side or top to fill with treats.

For Goody bags;
You could print up some color sheets with a sports theme, erasers in the shape of sports balls, plastic whistles, pencils with the theme painted on the sides. Hot wheel cars.
Or marbles with the directions on how to play that you could print on your computer.

Hope that this helps with your son's party.
Vicky
Will have to post later with laua stuff.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Check out the site:

www.birthdaypartyideas.com

It is very good.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have had a Luau Party for my daughter's First b-day.
I bought party ware through Oriental Trading, including the dogsize grass skirt and lei to fit my daughter. We hung lanterns, we made 3D palm trees with cardboard tree trunks and large construction paper palm leaves.

For the cake I used the cake mold for a barbie doll to go inside. Decorating the dress part of course as the grass skirt and makign flowers all at the base along with chocolate mold sea shells I'd made.

Everyone was encourage to come in hawaiian attire of course. Every person was kissed on each cheek upon entering and getting a lei around their necks. The girls got flower hair combs. We did hawaiian dancing and the limbo.

The next day, I put the outfit back on my daughter and took digital pictures of her. One for each gift she was given of her with that gift. I then downloaded and made a hawaiiany thankyou incorporating the picture of her hugging their gift.

Oh yeah, the best part people liked was the invitation was coiled up and put into a plastic bottle along with a little sand and a few small seashells. Then mail them out just like that with an hawaiiany label on the outside. Check postage rate with your post office for each. The sand weight can vary so you should weight each one to varify they won't be delayed for lack of postage. Enjoy!

Brenda
Old 06-13-2005, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

baseball Party

My 2 sons are having a baseball party this summer.

I plan to cut out a round white card stock with a hand drawn baseball on the outside and have info on the inside, starting out with "Let's Play Ball..." Attaching the invite to a box of cracker jacks and handing them out. Each of my boys are limited to 4 friends since we are actually going to a minor league game and with food, etc. it can get expensive.

At our minor league park they have promo nights, different promo each night and the schedule is posted on the web. I select the night that it's the mascotts b-day. They have 25 cent hotdogs and usually get one of those plastic hard helmets upon entering the park. You could also opt to have a tail-gate party in the parking lot prior to entering to cut down on $food expense from the vendors if they don't have the food promo.

I've packed a backpack for each child attending, that I got at the dollar store. I rubber stamp their names on the backpack with white ink, so you can tell them apart after yah get their. Inside the backpack I am putting cracker jacks, big league chewing gum pouch, baby ruth choc.bars, and cracker jacks, and an autograph book I made on the computer. If you get there early enough the players sign balls/t-shirts or what ever you've got. I am requesting the kids all where their school team b-ball shirts so we all look somewhat alike. We are decorating visors I got at the dollar store. Then I am giving each child $5 to spend how they want. That includes cotton candy, etc. or souvenir stuff.

It is a sleep over since the game goes until late. So I am having the kids put their pjs in gallon ziplock bags prior to leaving and marked clearly who's is who's. Also we are laying out sleeping bags prior to leaving. They'll change in our van prior to heading for home 45 minutes away. We'll just carry them all in and put them in their bags.

As thankyous I hope to take a group shot of them with Champ, the mascot. And make a thankyou incorporating that on the computer.

The game no matter how young or old is not boring. They have contests in between innings, they play different music...da,da,da,dun,dun,ta,dun and we all scream "charge", also "take me out to the ball game. The crowd camera is always running so yah check if your getting spied on that all the time. I plan to register the boys b-day so they'll announce that and the crowd will sing. Champ fights with the other teams mascot and dances on the dug outs, etc. If yah haven't been to your states minor league games - yah gotta go!

Anyway, if you choose to focus on baseball hope this gives you ideas if not hope you still enjoy yours sports party.

Brenda
Old 06-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Nine Year Member

Hi!

I'm back. You didn't say how old your daughter was. But if you could cut some garbage bags into skirts and make some paper tissue flowers wrapped with a pipe cleaner and use them in their hair. You could get some hula music and teach them how to hula dance. Get some posterboard and cut some surfboards shapes and have your kids help decorate them. You coule make lei's out of plastic bags or artifical flowers. Depending on the ages you could cut out colored paper flower shapes and thread them on yarn with pieces of plastic straws cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces. You could rent Lilo and Stitch movie to watch. You could play some Beach Boy music during the party.
You could make your own slip and slide if you have the room. Take a peice of heavy plastic sheet and stake into the ground with some wire loops for clothes hangers and run a hose across it, have the kids bring a swimsuit or wear one to the party.
For the Cake, you could decorate the top in a beach scene, or make it shaped as a volcano with lava coming out.

You could make flip-flop or sandle shaped invitations, or a palm tree shape.

For bags you could give them hair-ties, pencils, beads and string to make necklaces, jars of body glitter, light colors of finger nail polish, or jack and ball sets, or homemade chalk.

Hope that this gives you some ideas.
Vicky
Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I did a Luau at our camp last year for all the kids. As others have said Oriental Trading has lots of things. I bought goodie bags from them and got a lot of thngs from there to put in them. Sea shells, necklaces, bracelets, mini notepads, sand dollars. I got sea shell necklaces for the boys, leis for everyone. we did the Limbo, blew bubbles to the song "Tiny Bubbles". Had a pinuata shaped lke a sandal filled with pencils, sharpeners erasers, candy, rings, etc. If you have a Dollar Tree there, they also have many items you can get. Making the grass skirts is a good idea, fasten them with velcro. I wish I would have thought of that, I could have saved a lot of money. The girls did the hula to Hawaiian music and we took their pictures by the water. Face painting is something that goes over big.