Out of town birthday party! - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-30-2002, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Out of town birthday party!

Please bear with me...very new at this. Took me forever to get this far!! Anyways, my son's first birthday is in May. Our parents all live 4 hours away. Settled on meeting half way for a Sunday BBQ, picnic sort of thing to celebrate. It was too hard to arrange everyone here and going there was also difficult. This was a good compromise as everyone seems quite excited so far...first baby. A small group (all adults!) so I'm not too worried about finding stuff to do for the day, except I'm looking for ideas if we get stuck indoors due to rain!! Not sure if the area we have picked has a covered area or not, but if anyone has some suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. Probably have to settle on a restaurant, but any ideas to spend the day prior to meal time?

Any ideas on food for the outdoors? I think we can bring the BBQ so we'll do the ribs, kabobs and that sort of thing, however I'm stuck again if we can't BBQ! They don't open facilities for a few weeks, so I won't know for sure about the BBQ until then....so I figure get my grounds covered.

Thanks!!
Old 03-31-2002, 02:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If there is a way to call them, that would be the first step. Ask them if there are grills and/or covered areas.

If not, you can always rent a canopay. THis way you can still be outside BBQ'ing and also be covered.

As for food, you can bring, chips, pretzels, potato, macaroni and cole slaw salads. There are also bugers and dogs. Don't forget the ketchup, mustard, pickles, rolls, mayo, etc. PLUS lots ot napkins, wipes, plates, cups and plastic ware.

You might have to borrow some coolers not only for the food and drink but also ice for for the drinks.

Make sure you have plenty of large garbage bags for garbage.

Bring some citronella candles (they make them now so they do not smell gross) so the bugs stay away.

I hope this helped, at least it is a start

Let me know what else you may need.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Shawn for the great ideas. Unfortunately I've had no luck getting a hold of the park...left a few messages!! Anyways, I have found out that they do have a covered area in case of rain, but any suggestions on activities to do there? Thought of board games and cards... if it's really bad outside I'm totally stuck! Maybe we'll meet in a mall and take it from there. There'll only be about 12 people max but I'm outta ideas for the rain. I do hope the sun is shinning so we can do the frizbee thing, soccer, and just laze around!! Also am pretty sure from a friend that the have charcoal BBQs there. So, food is well on it's way for the outdoors too! Thanks for the reminder of the salads that I can do ahead...like that alot!! And the canopy idea is great if the sheltered area is full, since only a small group we may be able to put something together ourselves!! Fantastic idea...never thought of a canopy!