Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Such a sad thing, How can children learn from old books out of print, does that mean the library must relay on new books as donations, and cannot accept older books.

I agree this was not thought out, I could cry knowing that our future leaders will are already having to fight a battle.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Assistant Moderator

The way I understand it, the law on the books is fluid. Meaning it is there but they don't plan on inforcing the law. The law on used toys, clothing has been lifted. Someone didn't think far enough ahead on this. I have called Washington with my views. I encourage you to do the same. Our officals need to know how we feel.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have emailed CPSC. I tried calling but they were already closed.

Again I encourage everyone to call the number in the article and ask questions.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Her is a link to an article in the ALA weekly online newsletter I get.

http://www.ala.org/ala/alonline/curr...2009/cpsia.cfm

Having a large organization with lobbying power included in this issue never hurts.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Assistant Moderator

I recieved a email.... not that is answers much.

Hello,<o:p></o:p>
The law generally applies to products intended for children under 12. Definition to a children’s products (link provided below):<o:p></o:p>
Children’s PRODUCT.--The term children's products means a consumer product designed or intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger. In determining whether a consumer product is primarily intended for a child 12 years of age or younger, the following factors shall be considered: <o:p></o:p>
(A) A statement by a manufacturer about the intended use of such product, including a label on such product if such statement is reasonable. <o:p></o:p>
(B) Whether the product is represented in its packaging, display, promotion, or advertising as appropriate for use by children 12 years of age or younger. <o:p></o:p>
(C) Whether the product is commonly recognized by consumers as being intended for use by a child 12 years of age or younger. <o:p></o:p>
(D) The Age Determination Guidelines issued by the Commission staff in September 2002, and any successor to such guidelines.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
We have attached additional links which may be helpful to you.<o:p></o:p>
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/legislation.html#summaries <o:p></o:p>
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/faq.html<o:p></o:p>
While Church donations, yard/garage sales are not affected by the new legislation, the commission advises to remain safety cautious and pay special attention to certain product categories. Among these are recalled children’s products, particularly cribs and play yards; children’s products that may contain lead, such as children’s jewelry and painted wooden or metal toys; flimsily made toys that are easily breakable into small parts; toys that lack the required age warnings; and dolls and stuffed toys that have buttons, eyes, noses or other small parts that are not securely fastened and could present a choking hazard for young children.<o:p></o:p>
To receive free recall and safety information via e-mail, please the enclosed link.<o:p></o:p>
https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx <o:p></o:p>
For further question, please use this link to submit your inquiry.<o:p></o:p>
http://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/newleg.aspx <o:p></o:p>
Thank you,<o:p></o:p>
mg<o:p></o:p>
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Totally Absurd! Another governmental issue of over active Paranoia.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here's another thought, if all these libraries and stores start throwing out books etc. People will be dumpster diving like there is no tomorrow.

If that happens the Government (who is the entity to blame in the first place, not the stores etc.) will not have accomplished what it set out to do.

This stupid law is just another way to control the people by targeting the children. If you can further dumb down society with control tactics, like getting rid of books for the 12 and under crowd, then where will the voice of the future be.

Just My Thoughts!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Assistant Moderator

I did call but with the time change I doubt they call me back today. I will call them Mondy bright and early
Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I hope they leave the books alone. I live for the library book sale. Nothing I like better than an old book. This is such a confusing issue all the way around.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

quilligan, I hear you about the book sale. I also enjoy a good book sale and love old books. This law will make things a bit difficult for us writers as well, especially if we want to publish a children's book.