Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 04-04-2003, 04:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Asperger Syndrome

I've recently discovered that my 7-year-old son has Asperger Syndrome. He is extremely good with math and was reading at age 4, and he has a near-photographic memory. He has some trouble communicating with other kids, especially when he doesn't know them. He just doesn't know how to go about making a friend. He is always obsessed with one interest (right now it's the board game of Life), and tends to be a little clumsy. He also wants to adhere strictly to a routine.

Does anyone else have a child like mine?

Janey
Old 04-04-2003, 06:13 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Is he an only child?

Never heard of Asperger Syndrome. Sounds like my son when he was that age. An only child. Sounds normal to me. I wouldn't worry unless he's a violent child.

I'm an only child and for years it was hard for me to make friends, only in adulthood it became easier, but not much.

Does he win at Life game? Maybe he's just obsessed until he wins?

I'd like to know more about AS, never heard that term.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:11 AM
New Neighbor

Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

my son is ADHD-and he sounds just like yours. he gets fixated on many things, too-one at a time, and i just let him go. he gets fixated on subjects, tho-last summer, for example-he watched the weather channel constantly, talked about it when he wasn't watching it-he knew more about meterology than most adults-but couldn't talk to someone his own age about ANYTHING. thats one of the reasons i sent him back to public school-so that he could make friends and learn to be social.......some days it works and some days it doesn't.

i don't have any advice-i just understand.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have a new neighbor who has a nine year old son with Asperger's Syndrome--it is a form of autism isn't it. I really don't know anything about it, I just know it exists. Good luck to you. My neighbor has her son in public school and I think he does okay.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my family has been touched by Asperger Syndrome

My 15 year old son was diagnosed with AS 7 years ago. I could write a book and then some.

It does help to ally with some support, parent to parent and other types as well. It's been a real learning experience for us, trying at times andother times has brought out various strengths.

For my son, the perseveration/obsessions have tempered a bit to real impatience when wanting to know something or do something. It's been very difficult for him to develop peer realtionships.

It is likely that I empathize with what you are going thru. How are things going, at this point ?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:31 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Like I said I never heard of Asperger's but got this in a mailer today. I usually post on the homeschool thread for review of website...so I thought I'd post here too...

RESOURCES: PRINTABLES Use Visual Strategies http://www.usevisualstrategies.com/pixtl.htm I found a site that shows a face with different emotions ,like a smile for happy etc..you can even print off a book made up in your words and use the picture that describes the emotion. [MOD: The images presented are designed as tools for improving communication with "persons with Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorders, or others with communication or behavior challenges". For the record, the only emotion pictures I could find are "angry", "upset", and "crying"). . .though the "no hitting the table" and "relax" cards might be stretched to fit the bill. Most of the rest are of objects or actions one might find in a classroom or assisted living facility. --mdb]
Old 04-24-2003, 09:37 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=2575

Here is another thread that also has some discussions about asperger's too
Old 04-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have met a lady in town (her daughter is in my dgd's kindergarten class) whose son has Asperger Syndrome. She's out of town until next week but I'm going to introduce her to Family Corner when she returns. I've already told her aobut this thread so I hope she'll touch base and maybe you can all exchange info.
Isn't this site just wonderfuL?

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 09-30-2003, 12:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I work with Aspergers and Autistic kids everyday. I am a therapist for in home therapy program. I am by no means an expert but I do have a good deal of experience with this subject. If I can offer any kind of help, please just ask.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bump!
A good friend has just had her daughter diagnosed with Aspergers and I am looking for info!