Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 09-03-2002, 02:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thrush

My friend's 2 month old baby has been having problems with thrush. They used Nyastatin the first time, but last week, they painted the inside of her mouth with genetian violet. It worked overnight! Lokks awful, but really worked.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:24 AM
sharon campbell

Hi! You didn't mention if your baby has been on antibiotics, but they kill off the good bacteria as well as the bad, and if you don't replace the good bacteria, with plain yogurt or acidophilus you will have a take-over by oportunistic organisms, like yeast. The only real way to get rid of yeast problems is to either kill the yeast with Nystatin or gentian violet or something else, and then replace the good bacteria with the acidophilus and/or yogurt; or to be patient with just the yogurt over a much longer time.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My daughter was diagnosed with thrush about a week after she was born. She was put on Nystatin and we just couldn't get rid of it. Finally after three months, it went away. What I thought really helped was wiping out her mouth after each feeding and also before giving her the medication. I was breastfeeding and had to be very diligent about wiping myself off as well after each feeding. But it finally did go away. Gentian violet is a homeopathic remedy, but it stains everything. It's the last resort doctors will suggest.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have 7 kids and only 2 of them experienced thrush. After doing the nystantin thing with the first (it didn't work) my doctor used the gentian violet. As I was breast feeding at the time, I also had to have my nipples painted (very funny looking). The thrush cleared right up. With the second one, not only was I breast feeding, but he also took a bottle and a pacifier. In addition to both of us being painted, I had to boil all of his bottle nipples and pacifiers in a vinegar and water mixture. Hope you find something that does work for you.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thrush which is a basic yeast is recurrent but not difficult to whip. Never use a pacifer or nipple that cannot be boiled for an excess of 5 minutes and still throw them away bi-monthly. Feed yogurt daily or go to your health food store and purchase acidophilus (it is the milk bacteria that prevents yeast growth) which comes in children's chewable and liquid doses. It is said that we are not to use the gensin violet that our parents and their parents used for hundreds of years but I still do and feel it is only shunned for profit to the drug industry. It will completly clear it up overnight by using a q-tip with the smallest amount that you can get on it swabbed in the mouth. Be sure to dress the child in clothes that can be thrown away because the minute drop combined with the childs salvia will produce enough purple to paint your house, but as I said it will clear it up overnight.