Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 06-16-2002, 04:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Surgical Glue

Friday after school my daughter was changing her clothes and as she was coming up from taking her jeans off in the bathroom, she smashed her head on the underside of a counter. The edge was very sharp and it cut her head bad.

I rushed her to the hospital since there was so much blood (which happens in the skull area).

Well we got there and Hunter has a 1/4 gash on the top of her head. One doctor wanted to give her stitches which in turn they would have to shave her hair in a spot (NO WAY would she let them). Another doctor (a mom with young children) came over and said as long as ny dd doesn ot participate in gym for the next week, she would use surgical glue (a fancy name for crazy glue).

Well that is what they did... they glued it together. She can not get it wet until tomorrow morning and she can not partake in gym or recess. To assure this from happening, I will take her home for lunch on Mon & Tues. I will write a note to excuse her from gym on Tes and she will stay home on Wednesday. Wed is field day. They are outside ALL day playing all types of games.

I can not chance her getting hit in the head and it breaking open. Plus I do not want her to sweat and get an infection. Just think, if she had stitches they would be in for a week so I have to treat this like that (per the doc).

Her head is still very sore

Has anyone else had the unfortune to use this stuff?
Old 06-28-2002, 10:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Hi!

Yes, my DS had to get his forehead glued together too. It happened about 3 yrs ago. He was at school and tripped and hit his glasses on a table. His glasses then cut a nice half inch gash just above his right eyebrow. I was told that we had to go the E.R.

When my DB was 3 he had cut a small gash in his cheek. It took 4 or 5 people to hold him down as they tried to stitch it together!
And that was all I could think about as we waited in the E.R.

After waiting a shorter time than I expected! I explained to the Doctor what happened. They cleaned out the area and then informed me that they were going to glue him back together! I was glad that there wasn't going to be stitches, but still not sure about glue.

After the cut healed, the area was pink. But now it's alot lighter and is barely noticable.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I know what you are talking about! My dd was playing around in my house where I had very old mouldings. She was sliding across the hardwood floor and punctured a hole in her forhead approx. 1/4". I took her to the hospital and they felt that glueing it together would leave less of a mark then stiching it (she was modelling at the time). She has no scar now unless you look with a mangnifying glass and knew exactly where it was . She has never complained and the doctor assured me that it was perfectly safe. I in turn am very pleased and would recommened it to anyone.
Old 06-29-2002, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Shawn!

My son Shea, cracked his head open this spring, right on the top, & bled like a stuck pig....went to ER, & the doc used a purple superglue...said 5 years earlier, & he'd have had about 4-5 stitches. It was great! I was more afraid for him, than he was..LOL...took about 3 wks or so for it to come off totally, & even then I ended up snipping it off as it was stuck to his hair, but you can't even see a scar at all....one of the greatest things ever, & now they have liquid bandages in stores..YAY!!

Hugs...Jacquie
Old 06-29-2002, 03:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The glue in my dd hair is still there a tiny bit, but I have been trying to comb it out.

This stuff is good.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My 3.5 year old tipped her chair over at lunch and cut a 1/5 inch gash underneath her chin. Of course, the gash gaped open like the shape of a football and bled quite a bit. I had some steri-strips from my son cutting his heal on a lego a few months earlier, so we got that on it till the dr. could see us. We got in to see him in about an hour and he opted for the surgical glue, called Derma-Bond (purple stuff). It worked great!

We had to keep it dry 3-4 days, so baths, no showers and just covered it with a bandage (regular). The scar is light pink and she didn't have to get a shot to deaden the area or scream through the stitches. It was worth it, in my book. The cost for the glue was the same as the stitches, as I got the bill and questioned the charge, because I naively figured it should cost less, since he barely did anything. In fact, I took off the steri-strips and cleaned up blood while he went to get the Derma-Bond. It got applied to our deductible so we ended up paying for all of it.

Kristi