Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 06-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I should have told you that my son is 13 years old. One of his problems when he gets a cold sore is that as soon as I say "your getting a cold sore" he touches it.

I do use abreva on it and also carmex.
He starts out with one on his lip then it ALWAYS spread because he can't keep his hands off of it. He also bites at.

I do think that the next time he goes to the doctor I'm going to see what I can do about this. I have thought of Valtrex, but I hate to see my son taking medication.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The valtrex works very well. I've gotten shingles a couple of times, which is also a form of herpes simplex. It is from having chicken pox as a child and it just kind of stays in your system. Flares up usually due to stress and follows a nerve. Very painful, so I sympathize with your son.
You might want to take him in and have him checked out to see if the flare up are from stress, or just going through all the changes in his life at that age, lot of hormones raging!, and if the valtrex is something he can do. Also, if he is getting them alot, maybe a prophyalatic (sp) medicine might be useful for awhile. This would be a medication he would take daily to prevent them. Like people take for migraines. I know as a parent that taking meds are not something we want our children to do, but if it's overall result is positive it might be worth a try.
Good luck...

Lizajane
Old 06-19-2005, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sometimes eating a lot of citrus foods will trigger a cold sore.

Dab witch hazel on it, it will dry it up faster.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member

Since your son is 13, is it possible that it maybe acne? My daughter who is 18 get them around her mouth somtimes and it takes a long time to clear up. Then my son who is 13-14 has had acne and then when he goes camping with the boy scouts and comes home he usually has sores from not drinking enough fluids and starts to get dehyderated.
Vicky
Old 06-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Cold sores

Ice, Ice baby....or campho phonic....can't spell it...sorry
Old 06-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

According to my drug book, Valtrex is only for adults.

The doctors I type for usually prescribe acyclovir, brand name Zovirax for herpes simplex for teens. It is also used for acne and there are some side effects as there are with almost all medications.

If he is biting and picking at it then it will spread and take longer to heal. If you can get him to try the warm salt water rinses that would help ease the friction. Also, good oral hygiene with brushing his teeth often will help too.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

As for stress in his life, he really doesn't have any. He has been getting these probably since he was age 6. Usually he gets two or three during the winter. Now last winter was pretty good. I think he just got one.

As for the citrus fruits, my son doesn't like fruit. I have to make him eat an apple.

It's like I always tell him, he is a good pain in my behind. I'm hoping since he only got one during the winter, that he is starting to grow out of them.

I used to get them as a child. As I got older I quit having them, until about 4 years ago, then one popped up. It was a huge one, and it took me foever to get rid of it. Since then I have only had one.

My daughter gets them too. We just picked her up from a conference that she was at for the last 5 day. Guess what she had? So here I go again.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

ajrsmom, What do you mean by "taking" lysterine?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi MKS

I said that I take "L-Lysine" --its an amino acid. I take it in the pill form that can be bought over the counter. I buy it at WalMart.

Here is some info. on L-Lysine

Info is from the University of Maryland Medical Center

Lysine

Also Known As: amino acid K, L-lysine

• Overview
• Uses
• Dietary Sources
• Available Forms
• How to Take It
• Precautions
• Possible Interactions
• Supporting Research

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview

Lysine is an essential amino acid, which means that it is essential to human health but cannot be manufactured by the body. For this reason, lysine must be obtained from food. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Lysine is important for proper growth and it plays an essential role in the production of carnitine, a nutrient responsible for converting fatty acids into energy and helping to lower cholesterol. Lysine appears to help the body absorb and conserve calcium and it plays an important role in the formation of collagen, a substance important for bones and connective tissues including skin, tendon, and cartilage.

If there is too little lysine in the diet, kidney stones and other health related problems may develop including fatigue, nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, agitation, bloodshot eyes, slow growth, anemia, and reproductive disorders. It is extremely rare, however, to obtain insufficient amounts of lysine through the diet. Generally, only vegetarians who follow a macrobiotic diet and certain athletes involved in frequent vigorous exercise are at risk for lysine deficiency. For vegetarians, legumes (beans, peas and lentils) are the best sources of lysine.

Lysine is involved in the browning reaction, or carmelization, in foods such as pastries, doughnuts, cookies and cereals. In this process, lysine and sugar become linked together in a way that makes lysine difficult for the body to absorb. As a result, a diet high in cereals and baked goods, especially those that contain a lot of simple sugars, can result in low lysine intake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uses

Herpes and Shingles
L-lysine can be used to treat mouth and genital lesions caused by herpes simplex virus as well as shingles caused by herpes zoster viruses. Taking lysine supplements can speed recovery time and reduce the chance of recurrent breakouts of the herpes infection.

Osteoporosis
L-lysine helps improve the absorption of calcium from the digestive tract and prevent loss of calcium in the urine. In so doing, some researchers speculate that L-lysine may help prevent bone loss associated with osteoporosis. In addition, test tube studies suggest that L-lysine in combination with L-arginine (another amino acid) increases the activity of bone-building cells and enhances production of collagen.

Other
Certain forms of lysine and/or lysine bound to anti-inflammatory medications may help alleviate pain following an episiotomy (a procedure performed during labor that involves cutting the vaginal area to enlarge the vaginal opening and facilitate delivery). These forms of lysine may also relieve migraine headaches and painful periods. Whether L-lysine and other readily available lysine supplements also offer these benefits is not known.

Dietary Sources

Good sources of lysine are foods rich in protein including meat (specifically red meat, pork, and poultry), cheese (particularly parmesan), certain fish (such as cod and sardines), nuts, eggs, soybeans (particularly tofu, isolated soy protein, and defatted soybean flour), spirulina, and fenugreek seed.

Available Forms

Lysine is available in tablets, capsules, creams, and liquids, and is usually sold in the L-lysine form.

How to Take It

A healthcare provider can help determine whether your diet provides enough lysine. If your diet does not contain sufficient lysine, a healthcare practitioner may recommend lysine supplements as part of a complete amino acid replacement.

The daily recommended dietary allowances (RDA) of lysine are listed below:

Pediatric

Birth to 4 months: 103 mg per kilogram of body weight per day
Children 5 months to 2 years: 69 mg per kilogram of body weight per day
Children 3 to 12 years: 44 mg per kilogram of body weight per day
Adult

13 and older: 12 mg per kilogram of body weight per day
Some experts suggest that adults may need up to 30 mg per kilogram of body weight per day.

Adults with herpes simplex should follow these guidelines:

To treat symptoms: 3,000 – 9,000 mg per day in divided doses
To prevent recurrences: 500 – 1,500 mg per day

Precautions

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable healthcare provider.

Lysine supplements are considered safe and nontoxic. However, one animal study found that chicks fed with L-lysine developed elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels. For this reason, individuals with cardiovascular disease and those with elevated cholesterol and/or triglyceride levels should consult a healthcare practitioner before taking lysine supplements.

Possible Interactions

There are no reports in the scientific literature to suggest that lysine interacts with any conventional medications.

I take this as soon as I feel a tingle on my lip and it really seems to speed up the time that it lasts.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I get terrible cold sores when my stress levels are high and sometimes when there are extreme changes in the weather. My dentist prescribed a cream (the dr can prescribe it too) that I use as soon as I feel the "itch". I dab the cream every chance I get until it crusts over. Then I switch to Neosporin with pain relief. It helps with the pain and to heal faster. It takes 7-10 days for my cold sores to completely heal.