Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pedialyte?

Can a baby get too much Pedialyte? My daughter was vomiting and had diarrhea. I called the nurse hotline and they said to give her Pedialyte to keep her hydrated. The problem is they told me to give her an ounce at a time but my husband let her drink 8 ounces in one sitting. She loved the stuff.

My question is will this hurt her?

TX Chef Fran
Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I dont think that it will hurt her. I think that the reason they told you to give her an ounce at a time was to make sure she could keep it down.

If you are really worried, call the hotline again just to make sure.

Neither one of my kids would drink that stuff, we always ended up giving them Gatoraide.

I hope that she is feeling better. I hope that you are recovering too. Moms end up with the worst deal because we seem to be up with them all of the time.

I just finished going another round with my DD and a stomach virus. 3 days of what you have been going through. Now Im coming down with something. Oh, if it's not one thing, its another.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I figured as much. Now she is sleeping ALOT! I mean she slept on my way home from sitter last night then another hour when we got home. I was worried she would be wired after the late nap but she slept all night as usual. Then this morning when she woke up she normally plays while I get ready for work. She laid on a pillow and drank some water and almost fell asleep again. Then I got her to the sitter. She gave her some cereal (which she kept down) but fell asleep againaround 10am and slept until 12:30 when I called to check in. The sitter said she had been asleep since the last time we talked and I told her to wake her up. 3 hours seems excessive so I was worried. She woke her up and she was mad. I called this afternoon and she was asleep again!

Should I be worried she is sleeping so much or do you think she is sleeping away the "bug"?

TX Chef Fran
Old 04-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My daughter slept a lot when she was sick with this bug too. The doctor told me to make sure she wasnt dehydrated, to expect some extra sleeping and make sure not to over-medicate her with over-the-counter infant drops.

I wouldnt worry too much if this only lasts for a day or so...as long as she isnt dehydrated and doesnt have a fever.

I feel so bad for her. They are so little and so helpless when this happens to them. I remember the first time my daughter woke up vomiting last November. She was scared to death because she had no idea what was happening to her.

Let me know how things are coming along with her.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-23-2005, 08:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son slept a whole week. He only woke up to get a sip of something to drink. He would then throw it up and go back to sleep. I let him sleep and he got better. Now I can't get him to sleep. LOL.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Fantasyrose
Now I can't get him to sleep. LOL.

Isnt that the truth!!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 04-23-2005, 02:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

if your daughter is under 1 yr old, i would not give her gatorade. it will go right through her and may make her lose even more fluids. if you keep her on pedialyte more than a day or so, she will lose weight. i hope she's doing better by now.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son was put on pedialyte around his first birthday. He was having allergic reactions daily and given that we did not know to what, they restricted everything and then we slowly started to give him foods one by one again. He was given pedialyte to help him get through this time when we were not able to give him any drinks that could cause him to have an allergic reaction. He drank tons of pedialyte, and it never seemed to hurt him.

In years since then, we were told not to give Gatorade. If your kids don't like the flavoured Pedialyte, try getting the plain pedialyte and mixing in a small amount of their favourite juice. My son liked it mixed with Apple Juice while my daughter liked it flavoured with Orange Juice.

Good luck and I hope your little one is feeling better now!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just to clear things up, we gave her Gatorade after she was checked by her doctor and he said that she could have anything to drink as long as she could keep it down. At the time, nothing was working and he didnt want her to get dehydrated.

They dont recommend Gatorade for a kids drink because of the salt content but in her case it was ok. I would always suggest asking your doctor before giving it to your children.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I agree with Tami that the reason they suggested to give your DD such a small amount is because a larger amount might make her vomit. I don't think children are restricted on the amount they can have.

If she is sleeping alot, that might be normal. Even if she doesn't have a virus, the fact she was vomiting could make anyone exhausted. Unless she goes 2-3 days of sleeping alot, I wouldn't worry about it. After a few days and she is still sleeping alot, I would call the doctor.