Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 02-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Kids and blood tests

Hi everyone. I have a question and hope someone can help me out. I am taking my son to see the doctor next week; he has been extremely tired, complains of stomachaches and his appetite is not what it used to be. I'm sure the doctor will order a blood test. My son is not quite four years old and not overly fond of needles, so short of sitting on him I don't know how we are going to accomplish this. I have heard of some kind of numbing agent used for kids to numb the area so that the needle does not hurt as much. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Am I making sense? I just wanted to know if anyone had tried it or knew where it was available. Thanks!

Jennifer
Old 02-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Nine Year Member

When my now 3 yr old was going through testing at Children's Medical Hospital they had me lay acrossed her to hold her body down while one nurse held the arm straight as the second nurse drew the blood. Nurse number one then put a bandaid on the arm and they had me pick up my daughter as soon as they were finished. When she calmed down she got to pick out two stickers to take home.

Roberta
Old 03-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Assistant Moderator

I have not heard of a numbing agent for needles, but I have one son who doesn't blink an eye at needles and the other who will run a mile at 10yrs of age. I found the best way is to talk silly things to them don't let them look at the needle and hold on tight and do it quickly. Apart from that I can't give you much help but to say good luck.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Children's blood draws

My DS is only 20 months old, but has had plenty of blood draws done. I have heard of the numbing agent, but I'm not sure they do it for blood draws. It is something similar to orajel. But, they had me sit a chair with my son and had me give him a great bear hug while one nurse held is arm and watched his feet. The hard part is first they have to find a vein to use. But my best piece of advice is to make it seem like it is no big deal. He will react to you. I know it's hard, but I'm sure it's the best interest of your child. It'll hopefully be done before you know it. And don't forget, they give stickers!

Best of luck

Old 03-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have heard of something in reference to aleviating pain during the circumcision of baby boys. There probably is something out there, but my guess it is not widely in use. What you would need to do is call the Dr's office where you will be going as soon as possible to ask them if something can be done. If not, resolve yourself to get through it as best you can. My policy is to be honest. It will hurt, but it will be over quickly. When my son got 3 shots one day, I told him afterward he could go to Walmart & pick out a toy or game. Like somone else said, you should not show your reluctance to the child. That will make it harder for him.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I agree, most of his response will come from your behavior. Also, nowdays, they use such tiny needles to draw blood, it barely hurts at all. Also, I would be honest and tell him it will hurt for just a second or two and then before he knows it, it will be over.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:00 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

needles

I know what you're talking about. They just rub it on the injection site. It was used on my daughter when she was younger, but I don't know what's called. It is out there!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,

The name of the product you are looking for is Ela cream. It has lidocaine (sp?) in it. If you call around to various pharmacies, you may be able to find it, but I would recommend starting with ones that are affiliated with whatever hospitals you have in your area. In my case, even the one in the outpatient offices building didn't have it, but the pharmacy within the hospital itself that also sells to the general public did. I asked for Emla, which apparently is no longer available (it contained Lidocaine and something else), but fortunately I was directed to this other stuff, which works wonderfully. You put it on about an hour before the blood test and cover the site with plastic wrap or something of the sort (NOT an adhesive bandage, as otherwise when you take it off after only an hour that hurts pretty badly too, so all but defeats the purpose). If you're concerned about your child getting hurt by the plastic wrap, just roll their sleeve down over the cream once you've rubbed it in. Some may go into the clothes (it's colorless), but safety is more important than 100% non-absorption. Make sure to do the entire inside of the elbow or wherever they're going to draw the blood from, so you treat the veins at both sides of the area. Starting next time my daughter has a test, I think I'm going to do both arms, in case they either like the other side's veins better or something happens with the 1 side and they need to use the other. It's no fun to be stuck twice but at least this way it won't hurt.

If your child is sensitive to the tourniquet-like thing they put above the blood test, have them do it over his/her sleeve, ask if they can do it not as firmly as usual (although this may make drawing the blood take longer), or, best-case scenario, ask if they can use a children's blood-pressure cuff instead of the tourniquet. Unfortunately, many places don't have these available, but if they do it's best from what I've heard from others. (My daughter is used to the cream on the test site, but says "Don't pinch me!" regarding the other part of the process.)

Hope this helps.

Susan