Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 10-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Swollen Lymph nodes?

DD has swollen lymph nodes on the left side of her neck. She's had one since 10/5, the rest are new (since last night) and there are about four now. Anyone had any experience with nodes before?

I also noticed them starting on the other side of her neck too. Any advice?

I'm taking her to get a second opinion today, but just curious, and want to know if there are others that have gone through similar.

Thanks.
~Row.~
Old 10-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Forgot to mention..... DD is 5 y/o.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

2 beady-eyes,, I'm sorry to not have replied earlier...

There is no simple answer... Has she been ill? sore throats? fever? sweats? weight loss? other symptoms? How long has it beein going on?

Have you done any research, or gotten any suggestions from doctors so far?

Lymph swelling usually signifies that there is a local infection being fought in the area. If it's a neck swelling, the I'd think teeth, tonsils, ears, and sinuses.. just off the top of my head... If all that checks out, then you have to ask the harder questions.. but those have to all be asked with the help of a competent physician.

Let me know what is going on after you see the doctor.. . I hope she is feeling better.

Val
Old 10-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for replying.

We've been told she has Mono. The doctor said that it usually doesn't get younger kids like her age group, so it's odd. We're trying to keep her comfortable, and hydrated. She's just sleeping a lot, and has a fever of 103.4 (at the moment). She's complaining of sore neck, that it's stiff. And her nose is running comstantly.

The doc did a blood test on her to determine what could be causeing it, and this is what we came up with... Mono.

Anyway, thanks for replying.
If anyone has any tips for dealing with this illness, please pass them to me. I could sure use all the help I can get. Thanks.
~Row.~

P/S
Has anyone heard of the eyes swelling (almost shut) when having mono??
Old 10-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Our youngest had swollen nodes in his neck about a year ago, noticed just after he had had a bout with a cold, etc.

We were quite scared at first, since he has a first cousin, once removed who had hodgkins lymphoma at around the age of 6-7 (very rare).

The doctor told us it would go away in a few days, and it did.

On Mono: a friend's HS aged daughter has it right now, and she has every symptom possible: sore throat, fatigue, vomiting, lethargy, etc. etc. Her mother recently took her to the Mayo Clinic (a few hours from here) since she was so concerned--for a second opinion, but I haven't heard the results. I do think that she recently felt well enough to start doing some homework--which was an improvement for her.

Good luck with your little one--it's so hard to watch them be ill.

rivermom
Old 10-17-2004, 04:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

http://www.drpaul.com/library/10MAR2000.html

Here is a great link for you to read.. does it sound like your dd?? Sometimes just knowing you're not the only one who's kid is feeling/looking this way is a great comfort.. No.. you're NOT crazy. Sometimes mom needs a ((hug )) too.

Here's another link.. it gives some more info.. but I still think the article above is better
Val

http://www.vh.org/pediatric/patient/...cqqa/mono.html

Last edited by Lifestar; 10-17-2004 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for the links. That sounds EXACTLY like her.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Poor baby... (Well... thank G=d it isn't anything more serious...) But I hope she's on the mend quickly...

Sooo ..how do milkshakes sound to you ? Is it very cold in Alaska in October?

I hope she finds something nutritious and soothing to her throat..Maybe chicken soup.. In my childhood, it was of course like medicine.. lolol.. ( I'm Jewish) ..

I hope she's feeling better soon.. and I'm glad you now at least know what you're dealing with..
Take care of yourself too!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Today was the worst day of this whole mono cra- I'm telling you!!

We took her into the doc today because her temp would not go below 103 at all. He looked her over and said that there was nothing we could really do for her, just give her tylenol, and keep her covered lightly, nothing like blankets, or heavy clothes when we're home. So that's what we did.

Her temp went up to 105.8!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! I've NEVER seen ANYBODY's temp to that high in my LIFE! I called the doc and he told me to give her a sponge bath and let it evaporate and give her tylenol, and strip her down to her undies. We did, and it dropped the temp down to 101.3 about 40 minutes later. But it hasn't dropped lower than 101.3 ALL DAY! I know that sastained temps at high levels are REALLY bad, and I'm really worried that we are getting close to that point. I mean, that is terrible, how her temp will not go down.

I know that mono is serious, but this is really scarey for all of us. Her little siblings keep trying to get close to her and wake her up to see how she's doing, and I'm trying to keep them away from her, but it's getting harder. I'm wearing down. If this keeps up, I may need to have her admitted to the hospital just so I know that I can get some rest... uggh. I don't know anymore.

It helps to come here and vent a little. I'm sorry to keep bugging you all about this. I'll be hoping that I can leave a better update, more positive, next time. Thanks for your continued prayers for her and our family.

~Row.~