Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 08-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Kids and Soda!

We already know it's not good! Too much of anything can be sickly! So what is your choice of an alternative "energy" drink? Recently checked this website www.atozkidstuff.com and they have an e -postcard on interesting facts about cola. Here's an excerpt of what I found below!

>>Now this just FREAKS me out:

There was a competition in Delhi University: "Who can drink the most Coke?". The winner drank 8 bottles and died on the spot because he had too much carbon dioxide in the blood and not enough oxygen. YIKES!

If you put a broken tooth in a bottle of Pepsi, in 10 days it will fully dissolve!

And We Drink This Stuff?

*lovedmom puts away her pepsi bottle quietly*LOL

Last edited by LovedMom; 09-01-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yup, I have seen firsthand what it can do to your teeth, and the most depressing thing in the world is a 2 year old who has to have all of his teeth pulled because his parents let him have a sippy cup with soda in it. But here is the really scary part, folks... juice is just as bad!!!! I IMPLORE you, please, please do not let your child go to bed with ANYTHING other than water in their bottle!!!! Even milk can rot their teeth if it sits in their mouth overnight. Ever heard of baby bottle mouth? Not pretty!

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WoW!

Thanks Tasha! I have heard of the baby bottle mouth! My son doesn't use the bottle but he does ask for milk late in the night when he wakes up or in the wee mornings. There have been times I just give him water even though he asked for milk! When I do that he gives a fit! However, I would rather that than anything else...like rotten teeth!

Sad about that soda in the sipper cup....and i do not give my kids juice, as i used to, from the frozen concentrates, but what we do use is a syrup concentrate so we can dilute the mix and we add vitamin c (powder form)in the pitcher. Recently though I have wanted to do something else. I used to juice carrots and my daughter and i loved the juice! However, I no longer have a juicer!Bummers.*thinking of other possible "energy drinks"

lovedmom

Old 09-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yeah, that is hard. I just plain don't give Emmy juice anymore, I figure she gets enough when she is at her grandparent's house or at other places. Too bad about the juicer, because mixing fruit and vegetable juices makes such yummy sweet juice with way less sugar. Do you have a food processor or blender? You could make smoothies or strain the juice from there. Also, health food stores offer healthier juice options. Sorry, I think I always sound preachy on the juice thing, but it is such a sad thing! If I see a kid with a sippy or bottle with soda in it, I wanna smack the parents! But then I have to remember that not everybody knows... it is just so horrific!

Old 09-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I never made it a habit with either one of my kids to give them a bottle in bed with them.

When I gave my son juice ( and now my DD too) in a sipper cup, I've always cut the juice by 1/2 or more with water.

Im trying to break my DH from drinking so much diet Pepsi! Now that a challenge!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh pleeesh! How can they not know?!

Tasha I truly understand how u feel! I have seen many children that just sadden me when they have their teeths all rotten out before they reach 3 years old! I just tell myself to be ever more diligent with my children!
Yes, I do have a blender/mixer and do alot of slush drinks and such. Maybe I can try some bananas or something...orange slices...got any good recipes?
Thanks....
lovedmom

Old 09-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by ajrsmom

Im trying to break my DH from drinking so much diet Pepsi! Now that a challenge!!
Yeah, did I neglect to mention that dh and I are both completely addicted to soda? I have switched to diet to help a little, and along with at least getting rid of the sugar, I also don't enjoy it as much and so I can avoid it some.

The watering down the juice thing is a smart idea, that is what I used to do when I gave Emmy juice.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dilutting is the key!

We dilute almost everything we know is too sugary sweeet! That is the only way we can allow our kids to drink it. They are truly used to this that when they are allowed more than that with relatives they cannot drink much. I am glad that their teeth are healthy and strong. My next step is to come up with suggestions for them when they are with relatives. But I will keep an eye and an ear open for my children when there are gatherings and things seem to be so socially acceptable for everyone!

Funny how I grew up drinking sweet coconut juice and eating the soft meat that that was delicious natural sweetness and here I am stuck on soda! However, I am getting off of it! Lord, help me all the way!

My dh and I are both on this soda strike! He sometimes gets free sodas from his delivery work, etc..what is it with trying to quit something that more opportunities to screw up comes along. But what he does is just bring one small bottle as a 'just in case' and guess who ends up salivating for it! Mua! Nowadays, I can go about a day or two without real cravings for soda! However, after that I begin making slushes for me so that I can get some sugar! Otherwise I will definitely want to go get some soda!

So dilution, limitation and elimination!

lovedmom

Old 09-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yup, my daughter thinks that a tiny dribble of chocolate milk into a full glass of milk is actually the proper way to drink it, lol! But I tell her the truth that it is healthier for her that way. I have also been known to puree carrots and celery and stuff and put it in my spaghetti sauces, how else do you convince a 2 year old to eat a full serving of some of those veggies? Besides, it tastes good! Pretty much any soup that I make is guaranteed to have either spinach or seeweed (or a combo of both ) in it.

Old 09-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by tashablueyes
Yup, my daughter thinks that a tiny dribble of chocolate milk into a full glass of milk is actually the proper way to drink it, lol! But I tell her the truth that it is healthier for her that way. I have also been known to puree carrots and celery and stuff and put it in my spaghetti sauces, how else do you convince a 2 year old to eat a full serving of some of those veggies? Besides, it tastes good! Pretty much any soup that I make is guaranteed to have either spinach or seeweed (or a combo of both ) in it.
That's Great Tasha! I love the idea of pureeing the carrots and celery to add in the spaghetii sauce! I will try that. And today I made a slush with real pineapples and a bit of strawberry syrup and lots of crushed ice!

another key: puree it!!

lovedmom