Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 09-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My ds is 5 & I held him while he had bottles as a baby. I too add extra water to juice & he usually only has one serving a day. He used to drink a lot of milk each day. I'm not sure, but I don't think that is too bad for the teeth. Althought I hear too much will give you diahrea. He also drinks water pretty well. I drink mostly coffee & water, so he sees that & wants the water also. We usually only have sodas when we are away from home such as eating with friends or at restaraunts or on vacation. It is considered a treat, which is what it really should be. I am developing my own theory that that is one of our biggest nutritional problems in America. What use to be & should be considered an occasional treat is now the mainstay of our nutrition. I don't have a problem with the sodas, but I struggle with the "bad" foods. That's another topic.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi and I failed and drank some soda the other day! But since I have read the post on it being a "treat" I do not feel that bad now. So, thanks you MKS...I shall say that I had a "treat" and to tell you the truth, now that I have had about a glass of it, I can feel my teeth feeling funny. Like there's a film over it of something...this happens to me whenever I don't drink soda for a while and then take a "treat" of it again. I know that part of getting over a habit is not only realizing it is bad for you ansd stopping, but also not craving it anymore. And that is what I need to overcome...the craving feeling although my brain tells me and I know that it's not good for me....or is it my taste buds that is craving....I got to get the reigns over this old flesh of mine!!

lovedmom

Old 09-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have been really bad about this lately... I have been drinking diet soda, but since it has aspartame it is better for a diet but worse for your body in general. I do try to drink diet rite more than other brands because it is made with Splenda which is a lot healthier. So, yeah, I have been doing better but not gotten rid of the soda, I just can't do it!

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have managed to cut down on the juice in the house. We only have pop as a treat. But.... my kids love chocolate milk! We make our our chocolate syrup with half the sugar. I still think they use too much. I will be checking on that in the next few days. They do drink larger glasses of milk but I think a tablespoon of chocolate in the milk is enough. Wish me luck!
Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

One TBSP doesn't sound like too much chocolate syrup, but how often they drink it could be.
Also I wanted to mention I heard a news story recently about a new study that linked sugared soft drink consumption with diabetes (sp?) in women. Another reason for diet sodas to be the lesser of two evils. They did not find diet sodas to be contributing to the development of diabetes.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:36 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My kids love chocolate milk too!

My ds always asks for milk anyway, and my daughter got a chance to choose a drink from the store when we were doing errands and guess what she chose, to which I replied, we can make that at home (we have the nestle chocolate syrup) but i let her have it since i did say she can choose and it was a far better choice than fruit juice drinks with lots of sugar.

speaking of too much sugar, guess what i am eating right now?

Pimento ice cream and apple pie, with some slithers of 'symphony' chocolate (the kind that has little toffee chips in it).mmmmmm....and a big bottle of water to wash it all down!

shhhh, don't tell the kids! haaahhaaa!

LovedMom

Old 09-10-2004, 04:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My dentist told me that even drinking fresh fruit juice is bad for the teeth if you don't brush afterwards. My children have watered down drinks (always have had) and are so used to it that they cannot drink the drinks in restaurants etc unless I ask the staff to dilute it more than usual. They also drink lots of plain water.
As for those addicted to coke etc. Over here we have machines for making pop at home (Soda-Stream) they put gas into the water and then you add the coke (or other flavour) concentrate to it. What you could do is make your own coke but over a few weeks add a little bit less of the concentrate each time until you are having a very weakened mixture. Done over time you won't notice the difference so much.
When we go to macdonnalds etc I half fill the kids cups with the plain gassed water and then buy just one coke and divide it between their cups so that it is diluted enough. They are still getting a fizzy drink but not all the sugar and additives.
Mal from the UK
Old 09-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pinkie Winky Great mumtomany!

Awesome! That is great that you can make your own soda fizz! It is the fizz and the sweetness that I like from soda so I can understand having more control on how much is too much is good. As for the kids, they are okay with water, especially when they have been deprived of sweet drinks and they just need to quench their thirst. I can also tell that I have done alright when my toddler can accept a water bottle in the car, during drives, without so much as a complaint, nor asks for "juis".

You wanna hear something cute? my ds (toddler) asks for a spoon and calls it "poons".

~LovedMom~

Old 08-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow!

this is a ways back i say...
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I drink 1 glass of diet pop.The only times my 3 angels get pop is if we are out at a fast food restrant.We drink kool aid here but that is dilutered.I have heard that about the juice too and I am wondering if I should keep making more juice.My 3 angels don't really care for cholcate milk so I am luckily in that regrard but they consume other dairy products.
Mish