Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 08-06-2004, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Exclamation National Poison Control Hotline

Did you know there was a National hotline number for information amd poisoning emergencies? I didn't...

For a POISON EMERGENCY call:

1-800-222-1222

ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES

This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For more information, visit the website of the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
http://www.1-800-222-1222.info/poisonHelp.asp
Old 08-06-2004, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I once had to call Poison control in a semi emergency...

I worked in a doctor's office.. and a patient had given us peppers from her garden. She said they were "frying peppers" I took them home to make a recipe. My dd was an infant, 8 mos old. She was napping, and I was cutting and coring peppers.

I stopped to scratch my nose, and all of a sudden, my face was ON FIRE!!!

The peppers wer HOT peppers!!

I knew right away, that as soon as the baby awoke, I wouldn't be able to touch her! There was no one I could call to come help me, and I didn't know what to do...

Sooo I called poison control.. I knew what was in the peppers was the same chemical they put in pepper spray.. and they looked it up..

Capsacian.. They advised me to coat my hands in mayonaise or axil grease, to leach the capsacian out of my skin more quickly and to wear latex gloves...

It took 2 days for the capsacian to leave my skin totally...

They were wonderful, and I'm glad there was SOMEONE to call!

Val..
Old 08-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've known about the Poison Control Center for many years (I'm an RN and used to be a Paramedic many yrs ago) but never thought I would ever need to call them for myself.....

When my oldest son as a toddler, he got into my FIL's Contact and chewed a bunch of the capsules open...I called the PCC and they were very helpful and kind. Even with all my experiance, it scared the bajeepers out of me--that was MY kid!! They talked me though everything and then called back several hours later to check on him. THEN, they called back again a few days later just to do a final check.

Thankfully, he must not have actually swallowed any of the tiny pellets inside and had no ill effects at all, but I really appreciated the PCC's help.

Don't ever hesitate to call them if there is ANY chance someone has gotten into something they shouldn't have. They are a great bunch of folks......
Old 08-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had reason the call PCC last year and it scared the you know what out of me too!

My ds who was 4 1/2 at the time saw a bottle of Orange Oil Pledge on the kitchen counter and climbed up and got it. In the span of about 3 minutes he had COMPLETLY coated the living room and dining room, hardwood floor and all (not a pretty sight!) Well that would have all been ok except I read the back on the bottle and was worried on ingestion or inhalation and the fact that my 8 month old ds was in the swing and he was COATED too!!! They were great on the phone, very reassuring of my mounting panic and gave me specific instructions and time frames to follow. I was so grateful to have one and a month later I learned they were trying to close down the call center in our area That would have been AWFUL...luckily they found special funding but I can't imagine NOT having that resource to call.

Sandra