Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Children's Health Ask other parents for their advice and learn from their experiences!

Old 07-27-2004, 12:24 PM

Can You Help This Member- Child with Lactose Intolerance

got a question:
Is there anywhere or anyone with info on becoming lactose intolerant?

my son was OK with milk and for the past couple of weeks everytime he has dairy he gets sick...any advice or help..can someone just become intolerant?

thanks...

bensmom526

nancy

*I have posted this here in hope that someone with children can help our new member Nancy.

Thanks ladies.

Anna
Old 07-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It would be important to know more about the kind of sick that the child gets... Also the age of the child.

Also be sure the source of the milk is safe.. heat pasturized, stored colder than 40* F., and not left out at room temperature for extended periods of time.

Lactose intolerance is something that occurs because a child is born lacking the enzyme (lactase) in their gut that is responsible for breaking down the sugars in milk. (lactose).

This lack of lactase enzyme causes bloating and abdominal discomfort, and sometimes cramping and diarrhea when dairy is consumed. The more dairy a person consumes, the more intolerance symptoms will present.

It is a condition that can manifest itself in degrees. A little bit of milk sugar, can be OK.. too much.. not so good.

As we age, we all loose our ability to digest milk sugar. So we all become "lactose intolerant" over time...

Many younger children ( under 2-3 years of age) will more likely have a milk allergy; or an intolerance to milk proteins. These kids will present with cramping, nausea, vommiting, diarrhea and can even develop a fever and become very sick when given milk.

If repeatedly exposed to the allergen, they can develop a true autoimmune reaponse to the substance.. this can be very dangerous. and can lead to potentially life threatening allergic reactions, though very rare.

If there is any question as to the cause of the child's reaction, please contact your pediatritian or the emergency department if you don't have a pediatritian. This is something that you shouldn't guessabout, but should know the cause of...

I hope this is of some help.. Perhps with some more information, I could direct you to some good resources.

Val
Old 07-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Nancy...I know you're out of town right now but I wanted to post my milk intolerance experience here also...

My first ds has not had one bit of trouble with milk...when we switched from formula to cow's milk at age 1 he did great and still is.

ds#2 is a different story...started him on cow's milk based formula and he was immediately extremely gassy and uncomfortable so we moved to soy formula and the problems stopped...the pediatrician recommended cow's milk at age 1 and we went ahead and tried it...within the first two bottles of milk he had diarrhea SO bad his bottom blistered within minutes of going to the bathroom...pediatrician recommended going back to soy formula for a month and then giving cow's milk another go...all during this time he was recieving yogurt and cheese with no ill effects...after a month I tried cow's milk and had the same problem so I have been giving him soy milk that is unsweetened and has the higher fat content...he loves it and he is growing well...I tried cow's milk again just a few days ago to experiment and the very next diaper within an hour of drinking it was really bad again...luckily his reaction hasn't been super severe but sound as though a true allergic reaction could be very dangerous and worth really working on with the pediatrician...

get ahold of any of us if you need help...hope all is well Nancy!

Sandra

Old 07-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Nancy...I'll do some research on the net and see what I can come up with for you...

Sandra