Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-20-2002, 08:24 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question New baby gift ideas

My friend is having a baby in a month or so. She made out like a bandit at her baby shower and really doesn't need anything like clothes, bedding, furniture, etc. Any suggestions for a good gift? I thought about sending her nice printed gift certificate for one day of babysitting, or maybe some bath products for her.

Any other ideas?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 01-22-2002, 07:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Both of your ideas are great ones!
I do have to tell you that my most favorite gift I received after the birth of my last baby was supper! My best friend brought a handmade gift certificate to my baby shower entitling me to "One supper cooked and delivered to your door after you and baby come home from the hospital!" I was absolutely thrilled! I had no idea (nor did I care! LOL) what exactly she was going to bring.......but since I didn't have to cook it........you know what I mean! LOL
She called me a couple of days after I came home from the hospital to see if it was a good day for her to bring her gift over. Approximately 1 hour prior to our usual supper time, she showed up with lasagna, salad & fixins, garlic bread, a gallon of sweet tea, and a cake that said "Welcome Home, Baby!"
I was thrilled, needless to say!
I have since done this myself anytime I get invited to baby showers. It is well-remembered *and* appreciated, trust me! ;-)
Hunter (12)
Tucker (10)
Tanner (8)
Isabella (5)
Old 01-22-2002, 08:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi:

I know of a great gift (a new baby book) that you could give after the baby is born. It would have to be after, because the book is personalized to include the doctor, the hospital, the parents, and so on.

If you think you would be interested in that, send me a private message, and I'll give you the details.

Thanks,
Lisa
Old 01-22-2002, 11:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Baby Gifts

I loved to get disposable diapers and wipes. They are expendable and always useful. The items that need to be replaced constanly are money and time saving for the new mom. For me it was the things that were hard to find second hand that I appriciated. Diapers of course being one of them. You can never have to many diapers.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb New baby gift ideas

My best friend just had a baby, and one of the best gifts she got was a gift certificate for a massage. She really enjoyed it and it helped her feel so much better. Another gift could be something that the baby could enjoy when older - one of your favorite books from your childhood or a toy that can be used at 6-12 months. From past experience, the baby shower tends to focus on the first few months, and when the baby gets older, the parents have little for them. I hope this helps!
Old 01-23-2002, 09:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

NEW BABY GIFT

ONE OF THE MOST USEFUL SHOWER GIFTS I RECEIVED CAME FROM MY BROTHER, A PHARMACIST. USING A SMALL TACKLE/TOOL BOX, HE FILLED IT WITH A SMALL FIRST AID EMERGENCY GUIDE, GAUZE PADS, SYRUP OF IPECAC (IN CASE OF POISONING TO INDUCE VOMITING), INFANT THERMOMETER, NASAL SYRINGE, ADHESIVE TAPE, BAND AIDS, INFANT TYLENOL DROPS, MEDICINE SYRINGE, ANTISEPTIC WASH, ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT, DIAPER RASH OINTMENT, TWEEZERS, SMALL MAGNIFYING GLASS, COLD PACKS, ETC., ETC. HE CHOSE A BOX THAT COULD BE LOCKED AND INCLUDED A SMALL COMBINATION PADLOCK (YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO SEARCH FOR A KEY). HE WOULD CHECK AND UPDATE THE CONTENTS AS THEY APPROACHED THEIR EXPIRATION DATES. TWENTY YEARS LATER, I'M STILL USING THE SAME BOX AS MY FAMILY'S FIRST AID KIT. YOU CAN VARY THE CONTENTS AS YOU CHOOSE, BUT I WOULD ALWAYS INCLUDE THE FIRST AID GUIDE AND THE SYRUP OF IPECAC!!
Old 01-23-2002, 07:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I did this for a good friend: I took a large pretty basket and filled it with baby bath, baby lotion, wipes, etc. She used the basket to store her diapers and later the baby's toys.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

I have 3 ideas for you and I use all of these at different time.
1. A basket decorated filled with the odd items (ex.. nail clippers, comb, brush, pacifers holder, etc...) I also usually add something for mom (ex..candle, bubble bath, a book, etc...)

2. At walmart, kmart, etc.. go tho the picture frame sction and you can find a frame that has a matt in it for 12 pictues ( one for each school year)

3. This is my favorite. At walmart in the baby section and/or craft section they have a tin that has clay in it that is used for the hand print of the baby. This gives the parents a great keepsake.

hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2002, 02:11 AM
laura4562las

Having baby soon

What I have done in the past for friends that are expecting is to put together a gift basket of what I call the practical, but expensive gifts. The wicker laundry baskets can be purchased for about $3.00 to $5.00 dollars. I put in disposable newborn diapers, diaper rash oinment, baby bottles, powder, baby shampoo, baby body wash, a small soft baby brush and anything else I can think of. The small teething rings that can be frozen are also a good thing to have on hand. Dry baby cereal or a package of socks. One piece, snap crotch undershirts are always nice. No matter what your friend received at her shower, the things you put in your basket are the types of products that always need to be replaced because she will be using through the first couple of years of the new babies life. Plus the laundry basket comes in handy for clothes or toys.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Lightbulb

This is an idea used in our family. Take a few index cards and write out several 'gifts'. For a new Mom it could be as in the earlier post an evening meal for her and the family. There are so many things that you could put in your coupon book. All of them would depend on the time that you can offer and also how close you are to the family. An afternoon outing for the older children (to give Mom a break and extra time to regroup for the additional responsibilities and maybe an extra nap!); vacuuming and dusting; do a load or two of laundry; or some ironing. If she has school children and they need cookies or cupcakes for their class; a coupon for that would be helpful. So many things that would add a little extra time for Mom. We also use this method for other gift giving times. Wedding showers, Valentines, Mothers Day, Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas, etc. It is so personal and Sooooo appreciated. And what better way to show your love, creativity and fruglaity?