Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sponge Cake ( genoise) with Rich Chocolate Buttercream

Sponge Cake

Makes 2 - 9 inch layer cakes
or. 1- 9 or 10 inch springform cake
( I made the springform and cut the cake after it cooled and frosted it)

1 1/2 cups SIFTED cake flour ( Swan's Down or SoftaSilk)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
9 extra large eggs, separated while still cold
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) Unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Have everything at room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and butter a 9 or 10 inch springform pan or 2 - 9 inch layer cake pans. then line with parchment paper or waxed paper.

In a large clean bowl, using clean and dry beaters, beat the egg whites and cream of tarter together on high until frothy. Gradually add 1/4 cup of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form, ( the whites should stand up in stiff peaks but not dry) Set aside or move to another bowl if you need the mixer bowl ( I have 2 mixers so this is not a problem for me )

Sift the flour baking powder and salt together into a med sized bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the electric mixer on high for 5 minutes. Then with the mixer still running, gradually add 3/4 cup of sugar and continue beating for another 5 minutes until very thick and light yellow ribbons form in the bowl. Scrape the bowl 2-3 times. Beat in the vanilla and lemon extracts.

SIFT the flour mixture over the batter and stir fold until no white flecks appear. Then blend in the melted butter ( the batter may look a little separated at first but just keep stirring untl the butter is no longer floating on top.)

STIR in one cup of the beaten egg whites to lighten the batter, then gently fold in the remaining whites. ( don't worry if a few white specks remain)

Either pour into the springform pan, or divide evenly between the two layer pans.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven just until the center of the cake springs back when lightly touched, about 40 minutes for the springform pan, and only 25 minutes for the layer cake pans.

Let the cake cool on a wire rack for 15 min. before removing from the pan. THen stand the cake top side up on a rack to cool completely. This freezes extremely well.

RICH CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM

2 OUNCES unsweetened chocolate
2 OUNCES semisweet chocolate
1 cup of butter, softened
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup of whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Melt the chocolate in a bowl, in the microwave, about 45 seconds, then stir until melted. Let cool a bit.

Beat the butter on medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the chocolate, powdered sugar, and remaining ingredients. Beat to spreading consistency. Makes about 3 3/4 cups.. just enough to frost the sponge cake.

Note: you can add some instant coffee crystals dissolved in a tablespoon of hot water to the frosting mix to make a mocha frosting.

Cut the cake in half ....frost the center, top with the remaining cake, frost the sides and top.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-17-2003, 03:59 PM
BoggsZ

Oh that sounds so good I'v got to try it have a ? is that two of the round cake pans that you make it in.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Karen.... 2 - 9 inch layer cake pans... or one 9 0r 10 inch springform pan

I made mine in a springform.. this is a very high cake.. make sure your pans are deep..... *s* We loved it.. and so did the company... *s*

I'm going to try the Lemon Coconut next...

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-17-2003, 04:27 PM
BoggsZ

Thanks would you happen to have a recipe for a homemade choc cake something like a Devils food cake ?
Old 05-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You betcha.... I love this cake.. you make it in a 9 x 13 pan if you like... you can frost it or not.. your choice......

It is so easy and a very very good cake. It's my most requested chocolate cake... the cinnamon gives it a wonderful twist, it seems to entensify the chocolate.

13x9x2 pan
35-40 min

2- 9inch or 3- 8inch pans
30-35 min

1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.. Optional ( I use it)
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable or corn oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Grease and flour pan
( You can use Baker's Joy and save yourself a lot of work)

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl

2. Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT water. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.

3. Remove from mixer, and stir in boiling water.
The batter will be thin.

Pour into prepared pan, and bake until a toothpick or tester comes out clean.

Cool 10 min on a rack, then remove.

Cool completely before frosting.

I use powdered sugar and bake in large pan.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1 LB 10x sugar 1/8 teaspoon salt
1 stick soft butter 1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 tablespoons milk

Cream 1/3 of the sugar with butter and salt.
Blend extract, 2 Tablespoons milk and remaining sugar into the mixture.
Gradually stir in the remaining milk until desired consistency is reached.

Old 05-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Nine Year Member

Jeannie~~~ Thanks for the recipes. I have printed them both out. Love to try the chocolate cake first. Hate using cake mixes even though they are good with all the stuff they add in it.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sueanne.. the chocolate one is 'a piece of cake" to make.. *laughing* It's really good... especially easy if you make it in a 9x13...... *s* I don't even frost it.. just dust it with confectioner's sugar.

The only mix I've ever used that you couldn't tell it was a mix was Betty Crocker's Pineapple Cake Mix.. with Whipped Fluffy white frosting. The others all have a 'chemical ' taste to me.

Old 05-18-2003, 03:47 AM
BoggsZ

Thank you so much Jeannie for the recipe Ill try it this week and let ya know how thay like it thanks again.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sure thing, Karen.. *s*

Old 05-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member

Chocolate Cake

Jeannie~~~Made the chocolate cake today it was delicious. Did not even use a mixer it was so easy. Next time I make it will cut the recipe in half and make a smaller cake. The taste with the cocoa & cinnamon made it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
________
Sueanne