Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

How many of you have and use a budget?

When I was single, I had a budget and when we first got married my husband made up one (it was unrealistic since two more people were joining the house but I couldn't get him to see that).

Over the past several years (at least 4 or 5) we've just flown by the seat of our pants without one and I hate it. But getting the time for us to sit down and do one just isn't happening. Hence, no budget!

Old 11-08-2002, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Julie,
check out this thread:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=3540

it may help you if you have some forms to help you when you do sit down. Thankfully for ME my dh is a great money manager. When we first married 21 years ago I was AWFUL with money. He has taught me so much and though I still tend to be a little more loose with money I HAVE learned to be far more careful.

Good luck!
Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 11-09-2002, 04:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Julie

We have a budget and I stick to it constantly. Every cent is accounted for, so there really isnt room to stray from the budget at this point in our lives.

My DH is now getting paid weekly, and I have a spreadsheet in my computer with our weekly expenses, incoming funds and I track where all our money is spent.

When DH lost his old job, I had to really cut things to the bone, and we stayed like this for 8 weeks until he recently found employment again. It turned out to be a good thing, because it gave me a jolt to be even more frugal again, something that is probably easy to lose sight of from time to time.

With my budget, I worked out how much I needed to put aside each week to cover regular bills like utilities, car registration, telephone etc etc, allocated a set amount for groceries (this is adjusted if necessary), and I make sure to put aside a small amount each week in savings, although it is never very much, every little bit counts.

I also save all my loose change and when the change jar is full, I take it to the bank and deposit it. It is amazing how quickly that adds up.

Any money left over from the groceries and such, is put into the savings account.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

raggedymom you sound very much like my dh. He tosses his change into a big jar at the end of a day along with occasional bills. When it gets enough accumulated he'll roll it. Normally we use this to help pay for Christmas at the end of the year but we have a new goal now. We are saving for a trip to Ireland! DH found out how much I've always wanted to go (maternal grandmother's family was from there) and he started saving the change towards a trip.

We are both fairly frugal though I tend to be a little spendthrift at times. This skill came in very handy when he was laid off last year. We just tightened the belt and lived a little leaner. We survived without missing a single bill and anyone on the outside looking in never knew unless they realized he didn't leave for work in the mornings for a long time. It was for a year in fact. We ultimately had to relocate and sell our home there but bought an even nicer home here so budgeting WORKS folks! We had no trouble getting a mortgage though he had been unemployed for a year.

I won't say learning to budget was easy for me but dh was/is patient and when you see the bank account building it's a great incentive.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I unfortunately don't have a budget and don't use one, though I really need to!!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have one, I use it, and I still seem to be short for "extra" necessities.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 06-06-2009, 02:13 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

It wasn't until we were self employed that I really understood how to make and use a budget. Now, it's a tool we can't function without. One thing that really helps us stick to it is a four-letter word - cash. LOL
Old 06-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I haven't got a budget plan and I probably could do with one, but we tend to spend the same amount each month on food etc and also have a little aside in case of emergencies

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I need to start one.. as things are gettng out of hand since John passed. I have got lost in the shuffle and need to get back on track.
Just not sure how to do that.. but will figure it out where I can.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 PM

I have one too but seems every week something we buy regularly the price jumps up another 30 cents, what's with that magical number of 30 cents in a week? We keep cutting back and cutting back and still can't seem to keep the grocery bill under $100 a week and that's for 2 people and 3 dogs. And we don't eat steaks or any expensive meats.

Anna