Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Dave Ramsey?

Anyone doing or have done the Dave Ramsey Total money Makeover? I am wanting to do it just need to get DH onboard.

TX Chef Fran
Old 12-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks for reminding me!! I read the book, from the library, a couple of months ago, but then got busy with Christmas and kind-of forgot about it. I'd like to get going on it. I'll have to get the book again, and get started on that emergency fund.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Not even to baby step one.

I am not even there yet. We have to be current with all bills first and that in itself is a feat.

My problem is if we have $100 my husband thinks we need to spend $120 so we are always behind and always paying many stupid taxes like late penalties, over limit fees, fees, fees, fees, etc.

Any ideas to get him on board?

I also have the Financial Peace University tapes I borrowed from a friend. I am working on those now.

TX Chef Fran
Old 12-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It's tough when you're not both on the same page. Maybe you'll have to deal with situations as they come up. Like saying "we really need to use this $$ to pay this bill, or we'll have a big late fee."

Do you have one income? or two? Who takes care of the bills? DH & I both have incomes, but I take care of the bills. So I have to make sure to keep him aware of what's going on. Like, I'll ask him when he gets paid next because I have to get the Visa pmt. out. If course, I know when he gets paid next, but that way, when he gets his money, he knows I already have it earmarked.

But I always make sure he and I have a little cash allowance out of each paycheck, that we can spend any way we want. That really helps - even if it's only $5.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My husband thinks he has it all under control meaning he only pays bills that they can take something away from. Car, apartment, etc. credit cards he doesn't pay at all. Gets them then lets them go into collections now he is mad because no one will give him one! mm wonder why? lol

Last summer he got a $1000 one and maxed it in one weekend then NEVER made one payment.

TX Chef Fran
Old 12-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow! Sounds like you're going to have quite a challenge getting him on-board. Does he realize that by defaulting on unsecured loans, he will probably have to pay higher interest on secured loans? Also other pmts., like insurance could raise your rates if your credit report looks bad? Hopefully, one of these days it will "click" for him.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've read Dave Ramsey's books a couple of times & my son took a class for high school students. It does work - the emergency fund is the best foundation. I found we didn't use it frivilously & it really helped.

My hubby enjoyed hearing Dave's radio programs. Lots of the people calling in are guys who are trying to explain why they couldn't possibley do the program so it's a real learning experience that can change some guys way of thinking.

We fall off the wagon occasionally, but do get back on. It makes you feel less guilty about when you do spend money if you have it earmarked already.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Dave Ramsey is awesome!!

This is one money budgeting system that I will totally endorse!!! We'd heard all about it for a couple yrs and had even planned on taking the FPU classes but never did. THen we switched churches and shortly after, they offered the Financial Peace University course so we signed up!! That was the best $90 we've ever spent!!! We now have our emergency fund set up, which we haven't touched plus we also have a savings now that we didn't have b4. We're still using the envelope system book that came with the kit and still do the monthly budgeting sheets. I'm the one in our marriage that has a hard time budgeting but this system has totally helped me with that. Since we've started this system, we don't have the stress or worrying that we had b4 and it has also made us look closer had where we spend our $. Now we hestitate b4 we buy something b/c we know we have a certain $ amount in that envelope so we have to decide if this item/event is worth it or not. Txchef_fran, read the book!!! If you have any ?'s, just give me a holler and I'll do my best to help. I don't know if you have just the book or what on FPU, but if you do let me know and I'll see if I can scan some of the worksheets and email them to you. Another thing that is really cool is that once you buy the kit, then if you want to go back again later and take the course again, it's free!! Our friends that gave the course have been through it 3x!! Each time they focused on a different phase of the system. I guarantee this is $ well spent!!!!

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 01-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

P.s......

oh, his book Total Money Makeover is really good, too. He also has the Financial Peace University for kids and for teens. I'm getting ready to do the one for the teens with our church's youth group this spring. Wish I had known this stuff when I was that age!!!!

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 01-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

GOOD NEWS. You may have seen on other threads that my DH has dedcided our marriage IS worth working for and agreed to counseling. we are still splitting for now and he even agreed to do DAVE'S program alone. SOOO if we both are doing it then when we do get back together we will have twice the debt paid off, twice the emergency fund and twice the savings. I hope he keeps his promise as this will change alot for us.

TX Chef Fran