FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Breakfast Foods (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/breakfast-foods/)
-   -   Looking for cereal bar recipes that dont contain rice crispies (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/breakfast-foods/7275-looking-cereal-bar-recipes-dont-contain-rice-crispies.html)

ajrsmom 06-05-2003 01:05 PM

Looking for cereal bar recipes that dont contain rice crispies

Does anybody have recipes for cereal bars that contain different cereals other than rice crispies? My son is begging me to buy the cereal bars that are advertised on tv but I refuse to pay an outrageous price for them. He doesnt like rice crispy cereal so those are out.
Ive done a search for some recipes but most contain p-nut butter and hes not crazy about that either--will eat sometimes though.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tami :daisy:

pegasus 06-07-2003 11:31 AM

I like to use cornflakes if I don't have rice crispies. Other cereals such as crispix also work well, even if you have to crush them slightly. Be daring and experiment. :)
The following recipe is not quite a cereal bar, but my family love it in their packed lunches.

Muesli Slice
125g butter or margarine
cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cups coconut
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup sultanas
cup wholemeal self-raising flour
Combine butter, honey and sugar in a pan, stir over low heat, without boiling, until butter has melted and sugar is dissolved. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl, mix well. Press mixture into a greased 19cm x 29cm baking tin. Bake at 180 degrees centigrade (350f) for about 20 minutes. Cool in pan before cutting into slices.

momofjems 06-07-2003 11:53 AM

I have used rice puffs instead of rice crispies. I think they are softer. You can use cheerios. Try putting m and m's in them.
MMMMM........ all this talk makes me want some. I think I head for town soon and go get ingredients to make some. ^^

:daisy: Elaine :daisy:

OmommyO 06-07-2003 11:54 AM

I make rice krispie treats with all kinds of cereals. Fruit loops, cocoa pebbles, cinnamon cereal, cocoa puffs, corn flakes...any kind. Just use the basic rice krispie recipe and add the other cereal instead. Sometimes the cereal amount needs to be adjusted. Hope that helps!

musicmom1 06-07-2003 12:19 PM

You could make your own granola bars as well using oatmeal and corn syurp, raisins, nuts, cinnamon if you wish. Please PM me if you need the recipe...I have to look it up!

Petunia 06-07-2003 12:34 PM

Hi,
You can also use popcorn in place of cereal. Any hardy cereal will work well.
Petunia

MNNorsk 06-07-2003 01:16 PM

:) There was a very good one on the Cheerios box, and I'm sure if you go to bettycrocker.com and search their recipes you will find it. Good luck!:-D

jns131 06-07-2003 06:05 PM

Other Cereal

I see by the posts that I have been beaten to the punch here. I love cornflakes with marshmallows. I make wreaths with them. A little green tint in the marshmallow and red hots for the holly. A little sticky, but fun. Cheerios, fruit loops, corn chex, name it it can be used with marshmallows. The possibilities are endless.
Good luck choosing. :daisy:

bbkimberly 06-08-2003 12:30 AM

I got online somewhere (can't remember where) a recipe for a knockoff of the nutrigrain bars.......my kids (and a few friends of mine) love it:) if you are interested email me and i will give you the recipe^^
Email address removed by moderator, please ONLY PM with your email address; never publish it publicly.

musicmom1 06-08-2003 03:53 AM

Ok, Here is one recipe... I was wrong about the corn syurp...it was Honey!
1/2 c Honey
1 t. Vanilla
3/4 cup melted margarine

4 c. regular oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. coconut
M&M's, chocolate chips, candy, as desired

Mix dry ingredients together and place in decorative baggy. Attach the following label: Add 3/4 c. melted margarine, 1/2 c. honey, and 1 t. vanilla. Spread onto sprayed baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Cut into bars.

You can always keep it on a baking sheet, add 1/2 cup more of oatmeal and the chop it up for a trail mix.
My little ones like to help with this. You can mix and match lots of things....like dried fruit, other cereal, etc.!

Hope this helps!