Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-07-2002, 02:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Crock Pot Recipes for Breakfast

Has anyone come across many crockpot recipes for BREAKFAST meals? I have only one recipe for breakfast to do in it.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here's some websites:

http://www.justcrockpotrecipes.com/breakfas/index.shtml
http://www.crockerykitchen.com/

I've never tried breakfast recipes, but wouldn't that be handy?

Raine

Last edited by rainequilts; 10-07-2002 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

http://www.thefamilycorner.com/cgi-b...t/friendly.cgi

I found 4 recipes here. I haven't tried them yet, but sure thought it was a good idea. Hope that helps some. Goodluck.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

This is my make-the-night-before recipe for Xmas morning.

Southwestern Style Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
18 eggs
1 small can green Ortega chilis
1 lb. cooked breakfast sausage
2 1/2 C grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
1 med. onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tsp. butter
Serves 10
Grease crock with butter.
Starting with sausage, layer meat, chilis, onions, peppers and cheese, repeating the layering process until all ingredients are used and ending with a layer of cheese.
Beat eggs, then pour over mixture in the slow cooker.
Cover and turn on low.
Cook for 7-8 hours.
Serve with sour cream or fresh salsa.

Rani
Old 10-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

This is what I make the night before for Xmas morning:

Southwestern Style Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
18 eggs
1 small can green Ortega chilis
1 lb. cooked breakfast sausage
2 1/2 C grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
1 med. onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tsp. butter
Serves 10
Grease crock with butter.
Starting with sausage, layer meat, chilis, onions, peppers and cheese, repeating the layering process until all ingredients are used and ending with a layer of cheese.
Beat eggs, then pour over mixture in the slow cooker.
Cover and turn on low.
Cook for 7-8 hours.
Serve with sour cream or fresh salsa.

Rani
Old 10-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What aa great idea! I always get up early to make a special breakfast for Christmas that needs to be baked but not any more!

Raine! You always know the best sites! You're the greatest!

Thanks..............

Old 10-12-2002, 07:18 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone

I am posting this information that I received from the American Egg Board and rthe Egg Nutrition Center. The question came up as to whether or not it is safe to cook eggs in a crockpot. I personally am not that paranoid, I eat my eggs runny, BUT for safety purposes I feel the need to post the info I received.

We are so glad that consumers are being careful with eggs and using extra precautions when handling and cooking eggs. One in 20,000 eggs in the US may contain Salmonella Enteritidis (SE). One in 20,000 does not seem like a lot, however, there are billions of eggs consumed in the US each year. As long as eggs dishes reach a temperature of 160F, SE, if present, would be destroyed and eggs are safe to eat. (The temperatures are actual temperature of the food containing eggs with a thermometer - not just heat settings during cooking.) Proper refrigeration and handling are always very important before cooking.

A few other thoughts about the recipe you referred to. Could it be cooked in a casserole dish in the oven instead of a crockpot? I did not see any ingredients that needed the slow cooking. If time is an issue, would the microwave be an option? Also, the recipe requires a lot of preparation and handling. There are a lot of opportunities for contamination. Eggs are only one ingredient. Refrigeration of ingredients, hand washing, and eliminating cross contamination are all important aspects to food safety.

The Consumer Services director at the American Egg Board (AEB) may be a resource for you in the future. He name is Linda Braun and her e mail is [email protected]. The AEB website is http://www.aeb.org

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to contact us again if you have food safety or nutrition questions about eggs.

Hilary Shallo, PhD, RD
Director, Food Safety Programs
Egg Nutrition Center
1050 17th St NW, Suite 560
Washington, DC 20036
Phone (202) 833-8850
Fax (202) 463-0102
[email protected]

For additional food safety information about meat, poultry, or egg products, call the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1 (800) 535-4555; Washington, DC area, (202) 720-3333;

Thank you for writing to the American Egg Board.

We do not recommend cooking eggs in crockpots. Temperatures between 40 and 140F are considered the temperature danger zones, temperatures which bacteria can grow. Salmonella bacteria can double every 20 minutes and a single bacterium can multiply into more than a million in 6 hours. Our concern is that the length of time it takes a crockpot to thoroughly heat the dense, egg-rich mixture to at least 160F (recommended internal
temperature) may be too long. Raw eggs, egg mixtures or cooked egg dishes that have been out of refrigeration for more than 2 hours (30 minutes to 1 hour if the temperature is 85F or higher) should be discarded.

Feel free to call me if you have further questions.

Elisa Maloberti
American Egg Board
847/296-7043

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 10-13-2002, 04:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Eggs in a crock

Quote:

A few other thoughts about the recipe you referred to. Could it be cooked in a casserole dish in the oven instead of a crockpot?

We do not recommend cooking eggs in crockpots.
I wonder if you cooked the eggs separately before serving how that would be? Or go over? Also, was wondering, what about other recipes that have eggs in them that you cook in a crock, like meatloaf? I use egg in my meatloaf and cook it in the crock sometimes... wouldn't that run the same risk factor then?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just had to tell you what I do although it is a little unusual. I make rice pudding for breakfast. It is made with milk and brown rice and brown sugar. - Not far off from the typical oatmeal and milk and sugar. So I feel it is just as nutricious. (And no raw eggs!) Anyways, I've been using this recipe for the last 15 years whenever I want a treat for breakfast. It makes alot but my family of 5 seems to finish it off with one big bowl each. Here's the recipe:

Creamy Rice Pudding

1 cup rice
6 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt

If you heat the milk and cook on high it will be ready in 4 hours.
If you use cold milk and cook on low it takes about 9 hours.
When cooked add:

2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
4-6 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice and or rind (optional)
1 cup raisins

Hope you enjoy it!
JG
Old 03-23-2003, 02:20 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Western Omlet
Ingredients
1 (2 pound) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 pound diced cooked ham
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
12 eggs
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Lightly grease a 4 quart or larger slow cooker. Place 1/3 of the hash brown potatoes in a layer on the bottom. Layer 1/3 of the ham, onion, green pepper, and Cheddar cheese. Repeat layers two more times. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the contents of the slow cooker.

Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours.