Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Breads, Muffins, & Rolls There's nothing like the aroma of fresh baked bread or rolls. Tons of muffin, roll, bread and pastry recipes can be found here.

Old 10-04-2002, 07:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Milk free mornings!

Hello all,
I am hoping ya'll can help. I love to make breakfast muffins but my 13-month old is allergic to milk. Does anyone have any recipes for milk-free muffins??
TIA!
Old 10-05-2002, 02:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I will post some recipes in this topic. I will list them as Milk Free for you

Old 10-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Just substitute vanilla soy, rice milk or almond milk for milk. I do it all the time for everything - pancakes, etc...It works just fine.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks guys; and Shawn those apple-cinnamon muffins look yummy!

If anyone else has this problem, in Amy D's Complete Tightwad Gazette, she says you can substitute some or all the milk in muffins with fruit juice.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Milk Free Recipe

Hi all!

I have used a puree of water and zucchini as a substitute for milk in recipes. Even in homemade bread. It works great and even gives baked products a longer shelf life...not that baking stays too long in our house. Just use a blender or a food processor and while it is running, add water until you get the desired consitency. I also make batches of the puree when zucchini is plentiful and freeze it in premeasured bags. Just remember you won't be getting the calcuim etc. that milk has, but if you're milk free, you probably know that already.

Gotta do another load of laundry.

Good bye eh.

Kim
Old 10-12-2002, 10:09 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have never liked dairy products, and now my son is the same.

We use soy milk, rice milk or almond milk.

Jen

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 10-14-2002, 05:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Milk Allergy

Hello:

My daughter is allergic to all dairy products and it has been quite an undertaking trying to find things that she can eat. Over the years I have tried many things to substitute for milk and the only thing I have found that works and tastes like milk is a product called "vitamite" It can be found pre-made in the dairy case along side the lactose free milks. It also comes in a powder that is mixed with water, usually found with the other powdered milks. I never buy the powder any more since finding the pre-made. It tastes just like milk so it is great on cereals and with cookies. I use it to bake and have never had a problem. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Vitamite

I was scrolling throught the posts regarding milk free cooking and noticed a post regarding Vitamite. Vitamite is advertised as dairy free, but does contain derivatives from milk products if you read the label. My son was anaphylactic to milk, and had a reaction to Viatmite. I've posted the ingredients below:
Ingredients: WATER, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED CANOLA OIL, POTASSIUM CASEINATE ( A MILK DERIVATIVE), ISOLATED SOY PROTEIN, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, CALCIUM D-PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D3, RIBOFLAVIN, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE MONOITRATE, ANNATTO COLOR AND VITAMIN B12.

Also, one of the best sources for milk, egg, nut or wheat free, cooking is the food allergy network. They have a newsletter that comes with recipes, and also a cook book. Their website is http://www.foodallergy.org/ many of their recipies are posted on the site as well.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

http://www.foodallergy.org/
they have great tips and recipes for allergy free cooking
Old 10-20-2002, 06:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post milk free muffins

hi i have found quite a few recipes that dont use milk. It is usually
replaced with orange juice, honey, water, or mashed fruits and or their juices.