FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Bread Machine (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/bread-machine/)
-   -   flour for bread machine (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/bread-machine/9035-flour-bread-machine.html)

ldyroper 12-18-2003 09:46 AM

flour for bread machine

Do I have to use bread machine flour? or bread flour. Isnt all flour the same?? Cant I use regular flour I get from the store? Yikes, this bread machine is to costly to have to buy special stuff.

barbszy 12-18-2003 12:12 PM

Kitty, bread flour contains more gluten than regular flour. You can add gluten to regular flour....I have NO idea where to get gluten. I have not seen it in any supermarket around here.
But just for making dough and baking in the oven it's not as urgent to use the bread flour.

ldyroper 12-28-2003 04:21 AM

found wheat gluten!!!

I did find wheat gluten which is to be added 1 tsp per cup flour for the bread machine. Im so happy. I made a loaf with a box mix for the bread machine and I must have had my water to hot. The load is small. But good. Anyhow, My grocery store of all places carried the gluten. So I can use my own flour. Today is snowy and cold, so Im going to try the bread thing again.

barbszy 12-28-2003 04:29 AM

ldyroper, just out of curiosity--since I've never been able to find gluten--how is it packaged, what section did you find it in (baking/health food/refrigerated), how much do you get in the pack and what was the cost?
It might end up being better for me to get the gluten, if I ever FIND it, than storing 25-lb sacks of bread flour (it takes up 4 large containers :eek: ).
Thanks!

ldyroper 01-05-2004 09:14 AM

the wheat gluten

Well, it was right by the bread flour and bread machine mixed in my regular grocery store. It is in a tan box about the size of a cornstarch box and cost $ 1.79. Ive used it 4 times (4 tsp each time) and theres alot left still. Maybe may make 20 loaves. I have however, not been able to produce a full size loaf as of yet even using the wheat gluten. Im troubled. Ive added a little more yeast, and am about to just almost double my recipe to at least geta loaf up to the top ! I am going to buy some bread flour to see if that may make a difference.
I just keep trying.

barbszy 01-05-2004 09:25 AM

Thanks for the gluten info! I'll keep looking for it!

As far as the bread not rising high enough, be sure you are measuring all your stuff REALLY accurately, and that you have EXACTLY the right amount of salt. Also, test your yeast to make sure it is fresh. Put a little yeast and a little sugar in some WARM water and see if it bubbles.
Are you making white bread or whole wheat? Wheat bread will be shorter and denser, regardless of other stuff. Hope this helps.
Maybe you should try a different recipe?

ldyroper 01-05-2004 09:47 AM

I will test the yeast

the yeast was brand new, just boughten, expire date of 2005 I think. I do make sure I measure acuratley, and have tried 2 differant recipes for white bread. I wont even attempt anything else until I get the white bread down. Im anxious to try bread flour, just to see. The bread with flour and gluten tastes fine, its just it doesnt rise enough. If you get the gluten, try it and tell me how yours does.
I was surprised to find the wheat gluten in my grocery store and was elated when I did find it.

LJsmom 01-05-2004 11:20 AM

bread rising

I've only had trouble with rising bread when my liquids are too hot-meaning anything much over room temp.
Oh, and the one bread mix I can never get right is the Hawaiin (sp?) bread. It always turns out tiny.

Does the gluten make it taste any different?

I just loooove home baked bread, especially during the winter. Is it cheating to call it home baked if we use the bread maker???:heart:

barbszy 01-05-2004 11:34 AM

Home Baked

If you made it at home, it's HOME BAKED. It doesn't matter how many appliances you needed to get it that way~ ;)

ldyroper 01-05-2004 12:23 PM

gluten

The reason I add the gluten, is because regular flour doesnt have it and when using a bread maker, the flour needs gluten. But if you use a bread machine flour, its already got it added. I used a mix before, and didnt notice any differance in flavor.
So you make the water room temp? Thats almost cool. I thought it was supposed to be warm, just warm to your touch. Maybe thats whats wrong. Then once I had it hot, cause I couldnt measure the temp, but it still turned out the same as warm water.
Ill try coolish next. After I check and make sure my yeast it good.