Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

barbszy... exactly... very easy to make.. this is a big loaf. You can cut in half after it's baked and cooled and freeze.....it freezes well..but we don't ever have any to freeze! *s*

You will need an instant read thermometer, the bread has to bake to 190 degrees. I am giving you instructions using a bread machine to knead dough, a mixer and by hand.

You can use a bread machine to knead this bread IF you can reprogram it after the first mixing and kneading to do it again.

You can make this in a Stand mixer, and you can mix by hand.

I use King Arthur flour. I have NEVER had a failure with any of the King Arthur flours.....

Early in the day......make the starter

(Place in your dough bucket or large bowl)
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
8 ounces water
2 teaspoons SAF Perfect Rise yeast

Mix and cover....let rise for 45 minutes. ( I place mine in the microwave because no one will bother it, and there are no drafts.)

Bread Dough:
3 1/2 cups ( 15 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs plus one egg yolk, beaten together

Add all of this to the bowl or dough bucket with the yeast starter.

If using a bread machine, set machine on dough... after it finishes mixing and kneading, reset to mix and knead again.

If using a stand mixer with dough hook/s, let knead for 30 min.
( if using a kitchen aid, that's on #2)

If kneading by hand, knead until the dough is shiny and smooth like silk. That may take 20+ minutes, depending on your technique.

Once the dough is mixed and kneaded the appropriate time:

Remove the dough bucket, and place in microwave to let dough rise for 1 1/2 hrs.

If using a mixer, place dough in a lightly oiled large bowl, let rise 1 1/2 hours, covered and out of a draft. You can place in microwave ....

By hand.....place dough in a lightly oiled large bowl, let rise 1 1/2 hours, covered and out of a draft. You can place in microwave ....

Once the dough has risen the appropriate time, remove from container, and knead by hand to expel the gasses. Cut into 3 equal pieces, roll by hand, using back and forth motion to make a rope about 18 inches long...you can also do a 4 strand braid if you wish... either way it'll work

On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, line the ropes up, pinch one end, and braid the bread dough. Tuck the ends under.

Now to make the egg wash:
Beat one egg with 1 Tablespoon of water..set aside

Cover shaped dough carefully, using jars or cans to keep the towel off the braid, with a towel. Let rise 1 hour to 1 hour 15 min. Or Place in a cold oven to rise, no cover needed.

Once the bread has risen, Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds if you wish.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven.....middle rack, 20 min. Then check.
Using your thermometer by inserting in the middle of the bread, if it measures 190 degrees it's done. If not, cover lightly with foil
so it won't burn, and bake in 5 min increments until the internal temperature is 190....

Depending on your oven, it may require an additional 10 -15 min, but you need to check it to avoid it burning.
Remove from baking sheet and let cool on a cookie rack....at least a half hour before slicing.

Makes great toast and great French toast, and fantastic as is.

This bread freezes well. Just let it thoroughly defrost in the plastic bag before removing.

I think I covered it all.....any questions ...just let me know.... *s*
This is a very easy bread to make. It just looks complicated...*g*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 02-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member

White Mountain Bread

Jeannie~~~ Your white mountain bread looks beautiful. When you put the dough in the pan do you put the seam at the bottom. Never saw a loaf rise so high over the top of the pan. Think the wheat gluten really does the trick. Let us know how you like the bread with flaxseed. Thanks for the photos.
_________
Sueanne
Old 02-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sueanne.. ummm.. bread with flaxseed? umm...

Yes, seam side down in the pan.... *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 02-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That was ME with the flaxseed, Jeannie. I put it in my "Outback Steakhouse" clone bread last night. It came out great. The flavor went really well with the bread, a honey wheat. Everyone said it was really good.

Jeannie, I'll have to wait on the challah until I can do it by hand. No way will all that flour fit in my little bitty bread machine! I love doing bread by hand but it takes more time, plus cleanup....so it's actually a luxury for me to be able to do it that way.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbszy..ummm....if your machine will make a 2 lb loaf it can knead the dough.. *s* Ok then, let me know how you like it when you get to it... *s*

Old 02-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

UMM Jeannie

Thanks for that recipe, I am going to try it when this new loaf I just make is gone. And it does sound easy.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jeannie, my machine only does 1 1/2 lb. I know it won't take more than 3 1/2 cups of flour.

Made the White Mountain bread with our dinner tonight. Delicious!
Old 02-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

barbszy.. I'm so glad you enjoy it... *s* Maybe a new bread machine for Mother's Day.... the new Zo is soooo nice! I have picture of it on the refrigerator for a hint! LOL It can handle kneading for my purposes...the Zojirushi X20.... *s*

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=205876

I checked around and the price is the same no matter where....
it's also known as the Supreme...

Old 02-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jeannie, yes, that would be cool....but I *really* can't justify a new "kneading" machine I do have a nice Rival stand mixer I could knead the dough in. Again, as in doing this by hand, it leaves more of a mess than I have a good chance at cleaning up just now. Maybe in a few more months when Mr. Wacky Toddler calms down some.
I'm just happy that I can do bread at all, that I have a bread machine to do the work for me so I can enjoy the homemade bread. Otherwise I'd never get the chance to have it, with my family's schedule being what it is.
The bread machine I have now was FREE. I've had it 8 years. A friend replaced hers when it needed a repair, and said if I wanted to have it repaired I could keep it. My BIL offered to try to fix it, and found that it only needed a $1 fuse!
Old 02-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeannie
Sueanne.. ummm.. bread with flaxseed? umm...

Yes, seam side down in the pan.... *s*
Jeannie ~~~~ Mom has been reading the posts sitting next to me got sidetracted thought you were using it.

Barbszy~~~ Good idea using flaxseed have you posted your clone recipe yet?
_________
Sueanne