Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Supposedly yeast likes a water temp around 100 degrees. If you have a candy thermometer you can test the water. But I figure if it feels right to the touch, then it's close to 100, since I am around 98.6....
Water too cold OR too hot can kill yeast.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Is it cheating to call it home baked if we use the bread maker???
No it not cheating, once when we were on a wagon train ride and someone was using the rubber tires another man asked him, don't you feel bad about using the rubber tires.
the man that was using the rubber tires looked back at him and said sir, if my granddaddy could use rubber tires he would have, problem is they didn't have rubber tires back then, now they do, so it alright,
are u going to give up your car just because people back in those days didn't have cars but wagon.
well the answer was no, so the man looked back and say well Im not giving up my rubber tires either.

point is if our grandmothers could have a bread maker some of them would use that bread maker, so go ahead and use it and don't think about it as cheating but as a pure pleasure of having something our grandmothers would love to have as well.
enjoy.

For my bread flour I store it in a super size zipped lock bag, and store it in the pantry and only take out what I need. and keep it fresh but without everything being in several containers.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Its my bread maker

No wonder I dont get the big loaves. The biggest size I get is the 1.5 lb load. My MIL gets 2lb loaves. I wish Id have known that when I went to buy a breadmaker. Oh well. Ill just have to make more then. They turn out good. Ive also boughten the bread machine flour, and actually, I like the recipe using reg. flour with the added wheat gluten. tthe bread machine flour didnt make it any bigger. Thats good, Cause I have got flour for days.
Now I dont feel so bad about the size of my loaves.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Y'all...

How about a little info on flours..
Not all flours are created equal.
There are hard wheat and soft wheat flours.
Hard wheat flours, those that contain a high protein level, will produce higher and better loaves of breads.

Soft wheat flours are for cakes, pastries and yes, Biscuits!
That is why southern biscuits are so tender, they use

White Lily flour available in the south....and it's 8 percent protein.

Gold Medal is inconsistent.. it varies from 9.8 to 11 percent protein
Pillsbury runs 10.5
However, Pillsbury has been purchased by the the gold medal people so the consistency now is questionable in my opinion

North Dakota Mills Dakota Maid for bread runs 13.2
King Arthur runs 12.7

The important thing here is consistency. That's why these mills prices for flour is a little higher, the quality is higher.
North Dakota mills Dakota maid is $1.00 for 5 lbs....I buy it directly from the mill.
Whereas, stores will charge from $1.87 to 2.87 for King Arthur flours.

Gold medal and those store brands buy buy the cheapest price they can get...thus the consistency varies.

Even among commercial flours you buy in the grocery store, the QUALITY varies. Gold medal, and store brands are commercial flours that as far as I am concerned aren't worth even using.

I use King Arthur or Dakota Maid flour ( which is available mail order...and I pay 13.75 for 20 lbs, 10 bread flour, 10lbs unbleached all purpose, and the 13.75 includes shipping.

Here's the addy for North Dakota Mills...
https://www.ndmill.com/ndmill/mill/bakery.htm

if you order, it's better to call their toll free number than to order on the net.

Bread flours contain 12-14 percent protein.
Use Unbleached flour whenever possible. It's better than bleached.... It will give you a higher rise as well.

As a side note, Canadian flours are better than store brand flours in the US..... they are of much better quality.

Vital wheat gluten extends the life of the bread as well give your bread good structure and rise and actually makes breads taste better. You only need 1 Tablespoon per loaf of bread.

You must be careful with temps of the yeast. I use SAF fast rise yeast and it has given me consistently good bread, and is a little more forgiving
Measuring accurately is very important, and if using a bread machine, to add the yeast last.

So the essentials of bread baking, is flour, fresh yeast and the right temperature water, and accurate measuring. Kneading is imperative. You can use your bread machine to do the kneading, ( let it knead it twice)....and then shape the loaf, put in a prepared pan and let rise again.....then bake... easy! If you follow this formula your bread will be like this...
Attached Images

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."

Last edited by Jeannie; 01-25-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

and this is our egg bread....very easy to make.....
Attached Images

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 02-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Gosh, I wish

My bread looked like that!! That looks great. Ill keep trying!
Old 02-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

ldyroper.. here's the recipe.. it's not difficult if you follow exactly what it says... don't bake it in the bread machine, but let it do the kneading for you.....

In a bowl or container combine:
3 cups of King Arthur Unbleached all purpose flour or Dakota Maid Unbleached all -purpose flour
mixed with the following...
1/2 cup Carnation low fat powdered milk
1T sugar
1 1/4 t salt
1 T vital wheat gluten
2 teaspoons instant yeast (I use SAF Perfect Rise)
set aside

4 T corn oil

In a 2 cup measure mix 1 whole egg with enough milk to measure 2/3 of a cup, then add 1/2 cup hot water and the oil
Mix....

For Bread Machine:
In the dough bucket of your bread machine, put in all the liquid, add all the dry ingredients, and set your bread machine to "Dough" setting.......when it's finished kneading, reset your machine to have it go through the dough kneading cycle again, remove the bucket and place in the microwave (without turning it on) to rise or a draft free place...for about 60 min- 90 min.

Remove from the dough bucket, sprinkle a little flour on your board, and shape into a loaf to fit an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch greased bread pan. I then put it in my microwave to rise for 60- 90 min.
( I find the microwave a good place, I don't have to cover the dough...)

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 22-25 min, OR to internal temperature of 190 degrees. Remove from pan, place on a rack, sprinkle with a pinch or two of flour and let cool at least an hour before slicing.

MIXER:
If using a mixer, put the liquid ingredients, followed by the dry ingredients, and mix with a dough hook until smooth and satiny about 20 min, depending on your machine.

Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl and let rise as above, and proceed as above.

BY HAND:
Reserve 1/2 cup of the flour to use on your board....
put all the dry ingredients on your board, make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix and knead until smooth and satiny, this can take about 20 minutes.. then transfer to a greased bowl...and continue as above...

I have not made this bread bake in bread machine as of yet.

It goes quickly and the bread is wonderful..

You can get King Arthur Flour at:
www.kingarthurflour.com

Or Dakota Maid flour at:
https://www.ndmill.com/ndmill/mill/bakery.htm

I love Dakota Maid flour.. I have it delivered....it has a higher protein content than King Arthur... and they put the mill date right on the bag.. I got a shipment today, the flour was milled 2 weeks ago. It's very fresh!....

Old 02-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

ldyroper, I have to second Jeannie's advice. She gives GREAT directions and if you follow them I'm sure you'll get excellent results.

I have made this bread recipe quite a few times as we really like it. It always rises nicely, high and golden brown. I do not use the gluten (since I can't FIND any!! ) but I buy bread flour by the sack at Sam's Club and I haven't had any trouble with the recipe just using bread flour.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbszy.. are you ready to make the braided bread? It's soooooo easy.....*grins*

Old 02-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hey, I'll give it a shot You're talking about the Egg Bread (Challah) recipe, right?

Tonight I've got honey wheat bread going. The bread machine is mixing my dough right now. I put 1/4 cup ground flaxseed in there to make it more nutritious. Let's see if it changes the taste any. I am figuring that it should blend in nicely with this bread (half whole wheat flour, half bread flour), coffee, cocoa, honey....

Last edited by barbszy; 02-07-2004 at 10:44 AM.