FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Books for Cooks (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/books-cooks/)
-   -   New Cookbooks? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/books-cooks/31520-new-cookbooks.html)

cat lover 01-30-2014 08:25 AM

New Cookbooks?

Does anyone have a new cookbook that they have gotten and would highly recommend? Or have you purchased one that you would tell someone don't waste your money on?

crochet2 01-30-2014 10:31 AM

I have several that are diet/diabetes/low sodium,etc friendly. Two that come to mind immediately are by Marlene Koch: Eat What You Love, and Eat More of What You Love. Every recipe is easy to follow, contains ingredients that you don't have to buy at specialty stores. I bought the first from QVC, and then the second from half.ebay.com.

She has a new one just released within the last 2 weeks through QVC called Eat What You Love Everyday.

Each of these books list the salt, fat and calorie content of each recipe and Marlene has re-worked each recipe so that you get a generous portion, not 1/2 cup, like some do.

Norma

cat lover 01-30-2014 03:06 PM

Sounds like a good one because I love ones that give you the nutritional information, thanks for sharing!

cau 02-02-2014 11:05 AM

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I recently bought What's for Dinner by The people on the Chew. I liked it not so much for the recipes , which were good, but for the ideas they promote. That it is always bettter to cook at home[/FONT

:vday::heartbbbb

crochet2 02-02-2014 03:07 PM

Good evening all!!

Cau, I believe that once you know exactly what is going into the food you are eating because you are putting it in, that it automatically becomes healthier.

I also have two more from Taste of Home that also have great nutritional information and highlight when a recipe if low-fat or low sodium and even does the diabetic exchanges:

Guilt Free Cooking, and Comfort Food Diet Cookbook. Both have over 300 recipes and none are repeated between the two books.

Take care all!! Norma

cau 02-03-2014 02:20 PM

Norma thanks I will check them out. I do love to read cookbooks

crochet2 10-09-2014 09:57 AM

Good afternoon all!!

I think we need to revisit this a little.

I got the cookbook "Eat What You Love Everyday" just a couple of months ago, and just one of the recipes on there is worth the price of the book. I bought it at half.ebay.com.

The recipe is for the jalapeno popper zucchini boats. I shared this on another thread here. One of these is just 80 calories, and tastes delicious.

I don't normally get excited about a cookbook, much as I love them, but this set from Marlene Koch is really good.

Being diabetic with high bp and high cholesterol, deciding on food items that don't mess with all those conditions at the same time can be a little difficult.

Also, it is about that time of the year to dig out the cookie recipes. Do you have a favorite cookbook that you always use on the holidays? If so, which cookbook, and why?

Have a great afternoon all!! Norma

Pag36 10-09-2014 10:08 AM

I did not know you were
diabetic Norma. Please take care of you. Anything with hot
peppers in it I can not have.
As to the cookies I have an old cookbook 1st hubby gave
me eons ago. It is a Betty Crocker one I THINK. At that time
I wanted an Applesauce cookie recipe so he went looking and
found this one. It also has my Carrot cookie recipe in it too
as well as others. I rarely make anything but drop cookies
hands will not let me roll out anymore .

cau 10-09-2014 05:48 PM

PAtti you do better than I do. I am a lazy baker & make almost all cookies into bar cookies. I get tired of the in & out.

Norma I love cookbooks & cooking magazines. I don't usually follow them to a tee but use them to get ideas

cat lover 10-10-2014 01:40 AM

I have several cookie recipes I really enjoy making, but always go through books and files to make a few different ones. Also sometimes look for recipes using ingredients I have on hand!