Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member

Historical Recipes and Practices III

Just found this book in my club library that I found very interesting. The author is Geroge Leonard Herter and Berthe E Herter. It was printed in 1973 but the recipes go back to the beginning of time.
The photos were a part of history. The book is so interesting I have not stopped reading it. Could not believe they used cinnamon on fish and steak. Has anyone read this book?
_______
Sueanne

Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Assistant Moderator

Sueanne no I've not seen the book you speak of but it's amazing the herbs and spices we don't think will work together actually do.
The trick is to experiment and I try sometimes

Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Nine Year Member

Did not know that flat fish, halibut, flounder and sole have two eyes on one side of their head. They lay on their side with their eyes looking up at the bottom of the water. Years ago they only preferred that kind of fish.
________
Sueanne

Old 09-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Assistant Moderator

I'm thinking what we call flat head is what you call flat fish.
They are a yummy fish we used to catch all the time as kids

Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sueanne I love Halibut and flat fish...we used to fish for them all the time on the west coast...miss that where I am. I remember as a kid being fascinated by the eyes being all on one side

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

That cookbook sounds very interesting Sueanne will have to see if our library has it.
I like most kinds of fish. I like Red Snapper but hard to find around here
Old 09-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

That book does sound pretty interesting.My dh loves to eat fish and my girls don't care for it at all.I used to eat fish all the time growing up.
Mish
Old 09-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Happy face

Sueanne, please post the name of the cookbook. That would be interesting to see what kind of recipes are in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueanne
Just found this book in my club library that I found very interesting. The author is Geroge Leonard Herter and Berthe E Herter. It was printed in 1973 but the recipes go back to the beginning of time.
The photos were a part of history. The book is so interesting I have not stopped reading it. Could not believe they used cinnamon on fish and steak. Has anyone read this book?
_______
Sueanne
Old 09-29-2008, 11:24 AM

Did you know there are recipes for chili that call for chocolate?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minny
Sueanne, please post the name of the cookbook. That would be interesting to see what kind of recipes are in it.
The name of the book is, "Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices".

Took out some recipe cards to start writing down the ones that appeal to me.
The book does have some graphic stories and photos in it sexual of course.
Love reading the Biographies of the people in it.
Will try and post some of the recipes later.
_______
Sueanne