Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-02-2015, 05:51 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

May 2015 Book Club

This month we will be

Read a book from an author you have never read before.

Please post the title and author of the book you read. Also a small description of the book.

Thanks for being part of May's Book Club

Charlotte
Old 05-02-2015, 06:41 AM

I just finished Home Again by Kristin Hannah.

At the center of Home Again is Madelaine.. a brilliant cardiologist, loving mother, tender friend & a woman full of self boubt. It is also the story of her confused & angry daughter, Lina, & 2 very different men Madelaine loves: Francis, a priest searching for his faith and Angel, a talented but cynical man with a broken heart. When tragedy suddenly brings them all together, they must learn to forgive the betrayals of the past & find the courage to love again.

I have to admit, at one part of the story, I cried hard. It was a really good story & one that I'd recommend.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just started the new Rob Lowe book. And I've never read him before. I'll post again later when I'm done with the title and review.

Felicia

Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member

Felicia is that Rob Lowe the actor?

I finished One Wish by Robyn Carr looks like it is 7th in a series but was very good as a stand alone book. Was about an Olympic figure skater's life AFTER she leaves skating to find herself and true love while reconciling with her Mother who she hasn't talked to in 5 years.

Roberta
Old 05-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

RobertaD: Yes, Rob Lowe the actor. I believe it is the 2nd book he has written but it's the first I have read.

Felicia

Old 05-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Nine Year Member

I didn't realize that he had written a book. His grandparents lived in the town to my north and owned the Spot Restaurant when he was a boy. There are pictures of him as a boy with his Grandparents and George Bush (Sr I think) when he had stopped in on the campaign trail on the walls.

Roberta
Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

RobertaD : I just read last night about his grandparents and the restaurant called The Spot!

Love Life by Rob Lowe: Here is what Amazon says... On the heels of his New York Times bestselling Stories I Only Tell My Friends, Rob Lowe is back with an entertaining collection that “invites readers into his world with easy charm and disarming frankness” (Kirkus Reviews).

After the incredible response to his acclaimed bestseller, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, Rob Lowe was convinced to mine his experiences for even more stories. The result is Love Life, a memoir about men and women, actors and producers, art and commerce, fathers and sons, movies and TV, addiction and recovery, sex and love. Among the adventures he describes in these pages are:

His visit, as a young man, to Hugh Hefner’s Playboy Mansion, where the nave actor made a surprising discovery in the hot tub.
The time, as a boy growing up in Malibu, he discovered a vibrator belonging to his best friend’s mother.
What it’s like to be the star and producer of a flop TV show.
How an actor prepares, for Californification, Parks and Recreation, and numerous other roles.
His hilarious account of coaching a kid’s basketball team dominated by helicopter parents.
How his great, great, great, great, great grandfather may have inspired everything from his love of The West Wing to his taste in classic American architecture.
His first visit to college, with his son, who is going to receive the education his father never got.
The time a major movie star stole his girlfriend.

I'm only 3/4's the way through but it's a good book. I like his perspective on life and his willingness to be so open and honest about his life.

Felicia

Old 05-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member

I just finished reading "That Runaway Summer" by Darlene Gardner.

It's about a young lady named Jill Jacobi, whose on the run with her younger brother, Indigo Springs is the perfect place to hide. So no matter how powerfully attracted she is to the kind veterinarian, Dan McGuire is a risk she can't afford to take.
Except every instinct is telling her he's a man she can count on. And Dan seems so sure that they'd be right together. It's tempting to lose herself in her own growing feelings for this tender, handsome man. If she could only trust him with her secret....

Lies brought her here. Will lies keep them apart?

An easy read and was so interesting that I had to keep reading instead of going on the computer today.

Vicky
Old 05-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I finished Love Life by Rob Lowe last night. I didn't know what to expect since I hadn't read his first book but it was written with humor, honesty and class. It's a fast read, well for me anyways, and pretty interesting. He's actually quite thought provoking. It made me admire him when I was never a huge Rob Lowe fan to begin with.

Felicia

Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 AM
Nine Year Member

I took a clue from you Felicia and read the first Rob Lowe book, Stories I Only Tell My Friends.

He is truly humble and impressive and honest and like you, it was a one day read.

The book talks about his family origins, career, and thoughts of it all, and gives some basic information into breaking into Hollywood. I found it fascinating and especially of interest as he lives in Santa Barbara, a place my daughter calls the conservative city of California.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."