Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-02-2015, 03:21 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

January 2015 Book Club

Welcome to 2015. Hope 2014 was a good year to you. This months book club theme is

Read any book of your choose

Charlotte
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Subbing.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just started reading The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton. Here is a blurb from amazon:
On a brisk autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives in Amsterdam to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt. But her new home, while splendorous, is not welcoming. Johannes is kind yet distant, always locked in his study or at his warehouse office—leaving Nella alone with his sister, the sharp-tongued and forbidding Marin.
But Nella’s world changes when Johannes presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. To furnish her gift, Nella engages the services of a miniaturist—an elusive and enigmatic artist whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in eerie and unexpected ways . . .
Johannes’ gift helps Nella to pierce the closed world of the Brandt household. But as she uncovers its unusual secrets, she begins to understand—and fear—the escalating dangers that await them all. In this repressively pious society where gold is worshipped second only to God, to be different is a threat to the moral fabric of society, and not even a man as rich as Johannes is safe. Only one person seems to see the fate that awaits them. Is the miniaturist the key to their salvation . . . or the architect of their destruction?

Felicia

Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

subbing

Old 01-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Nine Year Member

Wow Felicia, sounds exciting!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member

I started reading Alaska by James Michener last month, but am less than halfway through. It is a massive book! James Michener is one of my all-time favorite authors, and most of his books are very long. Anyway, I am wondering if I can claim this book for my January book club selection, assuming I can finish it with everything else going on! If not, I will select something else for this month. Please advise.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ellen: It's a really good book so far!!

Laura: I have several books by James Michener and they are long!! I haven't read Alaska yet but I will! It's looking at me on the bookshelf saying pick me, pick me! Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

Felicia

Old 01-03-2015, 09:32 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Lila
by Marilynne Robinson

Lila, homeless and alone after years of roaming the countryside, steps inside a small-town Iowa church—the only available shelter from the rain—and ignites a romance and a debate that will reshape her life. She becomes the wife of a minister, John Ames, and begins a new existence while trying to make sense of the life that preceded her newfound security.
Neglected as a toddler, Lila was rescued by Doll, a canny young drifter, and brought up by her in a hardscrabble childhood. Together they crafted a life on the run, living hand to mouth with nothing but their sisterly bond and a ragged blade to protect them. Despite bouts of petty violence and moments of desperation, their shared life was laced with moments of joy and love. When Lila arrives in Gilead, she struggles to reconcile the life of her makeshift family and their days of hardship with the gentle Christian worldview of her husband which paradoxically judges those she loves

Charlotte
Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 AM

subbing

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson