May 2014 Book Club - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-03-2014, 04:18 AM
Nine Year Member

Hello,

This is my first time joining the book club. I will be reading a book called Nella Last's War. It is the diary account written by Nella from when war broke out in 1939 - 1945.

Liz
Old 05-03-2014, 04:37 AM

Welcome RaggyD and butterfly!!

You may earn 2 awards per month. After you finish reading your books. Come back and tell us about them.
Of course you can come in any time and comment on a book someone else is reading.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Subbing and debating between several choices.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:16 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thank you, ladies. I am going to the library tomorrow and pick up some books with womens names in the titles. This will be fun.

Maryann

We learn lessons in the school of suffering
that we can learn in no other way.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I lucked out , I had bought a series with womans names in the title. Her the 1st 1 I read Audrey & he Maverick by Elaine Levine
In Elaine Levine's stunning novel of the American West, a proud rancher and a determined young woman are drawn together in the lawless town of Defiance.

Virginia financier Julian McCaid has put his troubled past behind him. His plans for the future don't include Audrey Sheridan, the extraordinary frontier woman he met just once. But it's because of her that he's come to the Dakota Territory to investigate problems at his ranch. And it's all the more surprising when he discovers she isn't the innocent he believed. Now nothing but her complete surrender will purge her from his soul.

If it weren't for the children she cares for in her makeshift orphanage, Audrey would have left Defiance long ago. Now the sheriff is blackmailing her to distract the man who might derail his corrupt schemes--a man who can offer Audrey not just protection, but a passion bold enough to make them claim their place in this harsh and beautiful land

Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I finished Loving Miss Llibby by Rosemarie Naramore. It's a cute and clean Christian romance about a single lady who lives next door to a widower who has two young children. Their father is a traffic homicide investigator and is on call, working many long unplanned hours. Libby works as a medical transcriptionist from her home but due to circumstances ends up babysitting the children who end up trying to play little matchmakers and weaving some tales in trying to do this. It was a good light read.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Today I finished "The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D." It started out kinda slow but I kept reading anyway and before I knew it I was to a point where I couldn't put the book down!
I love when that happens!!

Summer vacation on Great Rock Island was supposed to be a relaxing time for Kate, who'd lost her close friend Elizabeth in an accident.
But when she inherits a trunk full of Elizabeth's journals they reveal a woman far different from the cheerful wife and mother Kate thought she knew.

The more Kate reads the more she learns the complicated truth of who her friend really was and rethinks her own choice as a wife, mother and professional.

Set in the anxious summer after the Sept 11th attacks, this story of two women- their friendships, marriages, private ambitions and fears considers the aspects of ourselves that we show and those we conceal and the repercussions of our choices.

A Great read! Train
Old 05-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

sounds good

Old 05-14-2014, 05:22 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I read Waking Kate, a story about a woman who soon will face an unforeseen change in her life. One sticky summer day as Kate is waiting for her husband to come home from his bicycle shop, she spots her distinguished neighbor returning from his last day of work after eighty-six years at Atlanta’s oldest men’s clothing store. Over a cup of butter coffee, he tells Kate a story of love and heartbreak that makes her remember her past, question her present, and wonder what the future will bring.

Charlotte
Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The book I have started reading is "Lily White" by Susan Isaacs. This book is about a woman criminal lawyer who gets caught up in the affairs of a con man. It sounds like she might inadvertently get herself on the wrong side of the law as she tries to defend this mob guy. I will let you know if its a good read or not. I'm a few chapters in now, and can't put it down. So.....

Maryann

We learn lessons in the school of suffering
that we can learn in no other way.