Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Welcome Debbie!

I have finished The Talisman by Stephen King & Peter Straub.

Fantasy and reality collide in this tale as "The Talisman" chronicles the journey of a 12 yr old boy attempting to save his dying mother. After meeting an eccentric old man in an amusement park, Jack Sawyer becomes aware of an alien realm called the Territories. Jack must trek across America from New Hampshire to California. Alone and with only the clothes he is wearing. He must face the evil creatures of the Territories and of this world, to retrieve a valuable prize that can save his mother's life as well as her twinner, the Queen of the Territories. .

Jack is able to 'flip' from one world to the other, and the novel spends time in each. Items from one world, as well as people, have their counterparts in the other world as well, but in different forms. What is a house in one world could well be a hut or a castle or a tent in another. His clothes change to fit the place he is in. Magic is far stronger in the 'other' world, technology stronger in 'ours', but each exist in both.

One of the characters encountered by Jack during his time in the other world (aka The Territories) is Wolf, a member of a race of non-evil werewolves, and this is one of the most instantly engaging and lovable characters you can ever meet.

A story that holds your interest and you keep wondering what is going to happen next.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The book that I am reading, is a short Love story - by Debra Salonen, it is a different type of Love story, and it is written from the view of the main character Captain Jack. He's quite a bit colorful, and has had a bit of a hard life, that is until one particular person, Delia shows him what he had been missing out on all these years.
'A Hundred Years or More' is available for e-readers (through a jungle named online retailer).
I am quite enthralled with this book, and barely wanted to part from it to share!.
If you're like me, as you read along, you could see / hear the different voices as you follow along with the characters.

Happy Reading
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 02-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Nine Year Member

well I am still "trudging through" though it is a delightful trudging on my Winter book for January...but I've finished my book for February already! It's a new book titled Runaway Man by David Handler...

Benji Golden works with his mother and best friend (previously pole dancer and lap dancers! and the book is very definitely PG 15 not R or X rated!) as a private investigator. He is asked to find a college boy so the boy can get his inheritance. The boy turns up dead five minutes before Benji gets to his door. A trail of bodies ensues. What I liked about the book was it was a short humorous murder mystery written frankly funny and in the end Benji is ...well you'll just have to read it to find out!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I read two really good books this month that many of you might enjoy. I will provide an Amazon description for both.

"Goodnight June" by Sarah Jio (this book won't be released until May -- a got an advanced copy)
Goodnight Moon is an adored childhood classic, but its real origins are lost to history. In Goodnight June, Sarah Jio offers a suspenseful and heartfelt take on how the “great green room” might have come to be.

June Andersen is professionally successful, but her personal life is marred by unhappiness. Unexpectedly, she is called to settle her great-aunt Ruby’s estate and determine the fate of Bluebird Books, the children’s bookstore Ruby founded in the 1940s. Amidst the store’s papers, June stumbles upon letters between her great-aunt and the late Margaret Wise Brown—and steps into the pages of American literature.
Sarah Jio has written several books books and all of them are good. If you haven't read a book by her-- try it.

"The All Girl Filling Station Reunion" by Fanny Flagg
Mrs. Sookie Poole of Point Clear, Alabama, has just married off the last of her daughters and is looking forward to relaxing and perhaps traveling with her husband, Earle. The only thing left to contend with is her mother, the formidable Lenore Simmons Krackenberry. Lenore may be a lot of fun for other people, but is, for the most part, an overbearing presence for her daughter. Then one day, quite by accident, Sookie discovers a secret about her mother’s past that knocks her for a loop and suddenly calls into question everything she ever thought she knew about herself, her family, and her future.

Sookie begins a search for answers that takes her to California, the Midwest, and back in time, to the 1940s, when an irrepressible woman named Fritzi takes on the job of running her family’s filling station. Soon truck drivers are changing their routes to fill up at the All-Girl Filling Station. Then, Fritzi sees an opportunity for an even more groundbreaking adventure. As Sookie learns about the adventures of the girls at the All-Girl Filling Station, she finds herself with new inspiration for her own life.

Fabulous, fun-filled, spanning decades and generations, and centered on a little-known aspect of America’s twentieth-century story, The All-Girl Filling Station’s Last Reunion is another irresistible novel by the remarkable Fannie Flagg.

This was a great book. I listened to the audio book version read by the author. A Fanny Flagg book read by the author herself is truly a fun experience.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:04 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello ladies sorry I haven't been around much this month. I will work on posting a March poll shortly.

This month I finished the 4th Harry Potter book The Goblet of Fire.

Charlotte
Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Joy I loved The All Girls Filling Station, I find I have enjoyed all of her books.

I just finished Sleeping with the Enemy by Laurie Brenton, here is how Amazon described it
Book Two in the Jackson Falls Series

They met at her brother's wedding, and the handsome stranger swept her off her feet.

The initial attraction was easy. The trust? That was a little harder.

Hard experience has taught Rose MacKenzie Kenneally that men can't be trusted. But when gorgeous high school English teacher Jesse Lindstrom sweeps her off her feet at her brother's wedding, Rose temporarily forgets that she's given up on men forever. Eight weeks later, the unthinkable happens when this thirty-six-year-old divorced mother of two teenagers realizes she's pregnant by a man she barely knows.

When Jesse proposes marriage, Rose digs in her heels. She cherishes her hard-won freedom, and no man, no matter how infuriatingly sexy or nice, is going to take that away from her. But her teenagers are running wild in the city. Her ex, Eddie the snake, is too busy with his new trophy wife to be bothered with something as trivial as fatherhood. Luke and Devon need the stabilizing influence of a man like Jesse Lindstrom. So she accepts Jesse's proposal with a few conditions of her own.

Jesse wants a real marriage, but Rose is determined to resist his charm. The harder she resists, the harder he pushes, and indifference becomes increasingly difficult. But Rose carries a dark secret, one she's kept hidden for twenty years, a secret that could destroy their shaky marriage. When Jesse faces a serious accusation, Rose is forced to confront her demons head-on. Is Jesse Lindstrom the one man she can trust? Or will she discover that she's sleeping with the enemy?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have some Fannie Flag books that I want to read.

I just finished Rachel's Prayer by Leisha Kelly. From the cover: War threatened to pull them apart. Hope bound them together. Nothing has been the same for Samuel and Julia since the attack on Pear Harbor in 1941. All around them young men are enlisting for the service, leaving the safety of the rural community that has sheltered the Wortham family since the Great Depression. Now their own beloved son Robert has gone to fight for his country, along with three of the Hammond boys (close neighbors). Julia's heart aches for the boys while Robert's girlfriend, Rachel Gray, offers a prayer that changes the lives of all who hear it. Those left behind struggle to find their place and God's plan amidst the chaos of war. As the letters from Robert and the Hammond boys slow to a stop, can those at home find God's peace?

At first I thought this was written for young teens but after the third chapter I really got into it and couldn't put it down. I got it at the library for $1 and discovered it is part of a series but can also be a stand alone story as well. I enjoyed it and would like to read more by Leisha Kelly.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:42 PM

I have finished Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

This is what Amazon has to say.

Twenty years ago, a boy named Jack Sawyer traveled to a parallel universe called the Territories to save his mother and her Territories “Twinner” from an agonizing death that would have brought cataclysm to the other world. Now Jack is a retired Los Angeles homicide detective living in the nearly nonexistent hamlet of Tamarack, Wisconsin. He has no recollection of his adventures in the Territories, and was compelled to leave the police force when an odd, happenstance event threatened to awaken those memories.

When a series of gruesome murders occur in western Wisconsin that are reminiscent of those committed several decades ago by a madman named Albert Fish, the killer is dubbed “the Fishman,” and Jack’s buddy, the local chief of police, begs Jack to help the inexperienced force find him. But are these new killings merely the work of a disturbed individual, or has a mysterious and malignant force been unleashed in this quiet town? What causes Jack’s inexplicable waking dreams—if that is what they are—of robins’ eggs and red feathers? It’s almost as if someone is trying to tell him something. As this cryptic message becomes increasingly impossible to ignore, Jack is drawn back to the Territories and to his own hidden past, where he may find the soul-strength to enter a terrifying house at the end of a deserted tract of forest, there to encounter the obscene and ferocious evils sheltered within it.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I posted a poll for March's theme. Stop on over to vote.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/m...heme-poll.html

Charlotte
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just finished reading Quiet River by Natasha Salnikova,
I thought it was pretty good, (it is a thriller) but it was a little on the predictable side for me, until 1 twist at the end. Here is a summary of the book

Quiet River

by Natasha A. Salnikova (Goodreads Author)
3.54 of 5 stars 3.54 · rating details · 50 ratings · 15 reviews
Quiet River is a small town and people are friendly. But evil lives in quiet water, don't you know?

Lisa and Matt Collins spend a weekend in the town of Quiet River, Washington, where their son Evan meets a woman who says he looks like her son. She gives him cookies. The hotel clerk, an older woman, also gives him cookies, explaining to his mother that they came from the hotel's kitchen. Lisa ignores the clerk's strange behavior and forgets about her. The family goes back home to Seattle where Matt returns to his job as a magazine editor and Lisa finds out she is pregnant for the second time. Soon Matt's personal assistant dies in a car accident and he hires a new one: Kristine. One day Kristine presents Matt and Lisa with tickets to a ballet performance and that night their quiet lives change forever when they get involved in a violent store robbery and Lisa loses her unborn child.

Lisa and Matt think it is their worst nightmare, but how little did they know. They have to return to Quiet River to learn what the darkest dark is and what face it can wear.

Psychological Thriller - 94,000 words(less)

Closed Thread