Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Felicia I loved Mitch Albom 's book, but I enjoy him as an author. I love books about quirky southern characters & towns & Fannie delivered as usual. I ordered them from the library since as new releases they are expensive & I am the only one here who reads both authors. I love my kindle & Fire but you can't beat the librarys price. I started ordering the new Clive Cussler for my dh & found it so easy I just keep doing it

Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Cau, those books sound interesting. I have some Fannie Flagg books that I want to read.

I finished The Bride's House by Sandra Dallas for my fourth book for November. It's 1880, and for Nealie Bent, the Bride's House seems as if it is being built for her and Will Spaulding, the man she is convinced she will marry. But Nealie finds herself in the Bride's House pregnant and married to another. For Pearl, growing up in the Bride's House is akin to being raised in a mausoleum. Her father has fashioned the house into a shrine to the woman he loved. Susan is the latest in the line of strong women in the Bride's House. She's proud of the women who came before her, but the Bride's House hides secrets that will force her to question what she wants and who she loves.

There was a lot of romance, jealousy and disappointments in these girl's lives - three generations in the same family, starting during the mining days in Colorado. A little too much romance for my taste but the story was interesting enough for me to finish the book.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:00 AM

I read Doctor Sleep and Joyland both by Stephen King and have started a 5th one also by Stephen King, Carrie.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am a little late posting with the holiday, but here are the two books I read this month both by a Charles.

"A Beautiful Blue Death" by Charles Finch
From Amazon:
On any given day in London, all Charles Lenox, Victorian gentleman and armchair explorer, wants to do is relax in his private study with a cup of tea, a roaring fire and a good book. But when his lifelong friend Lady Jane asks for his help, Lenox cannot resist another chance to unravel a mystery, even if it means trudging through the snow to her townhouse next door.

One of Jane’s former servants, Prudence Smith, is dead – an apparent suicide. But Lenox suspects something far more sinister: murder, by a rare and deadly poison. The house where the girl worked is full of suspects, and though Prudence dabbled with the hearts of more than a few men, Lenox is baffled by an elusive lack of motive in the girl’s death.

"An Unmarked Grave" by Charles Todd
This book was part of a series and was my favorite of the two I read. It has a historical setting in a time period I find fascinating.
From Amazon:
In the spring of 1918, the Spanish flu epidemic spreads, killing millions of soldiers and civilians across the globe. Overwhelmed by the constant flow of wounded soldiers coming from the French front, battlefield nurse Bess Crawford must now contend with hundreds of influenza patients as well.

However, war and disease are not the only killers to strike. Bess discovers, concealed among the dead waiting for burial, the body of a murdered officer—a man who not only served in her father's former regiment but was also a family friend.

Before she can report the terrible news, Bess falls ill, the latest victim of the flu. By the time she recovers, the officer has been buried, and the only other person who saw the body has hanged himself. Or did he?

Apricot -- I am a hug Sandra Dallas fan. I haven't read a book of hers I haven't loved.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Everyone's books sound interesting.

Joy, my mother was born in 1918 and that book sounds interesting so I am going to look for it.

I've read a few of Sandra Dallas' books and have enjoyed most of them but there was one with a title something like Quilt Patches I think that I could not get into and did not finish. It was of letters that a sister had written to another sister during a war.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:32 AM
Nine Year Member

well I ended up reading two nonfiction books by richard preston...one is about smallpox "eradication" and I put that in quotes because there are still pockets of freezer stores of some strains 'out there'

The Demon in the Freezer by Richard Preston

The other book was about ABSL4 research on a variety of human pathogens, for instance ebola. Each chapter a different pathogen but all tied together.

Panic in Level 4 by Richard Preston.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sharon I am reading Doctor Sleep right now! I also read Joyland last month.

Felicia

Closed Thread