Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I read The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. Now I will have to find a book with the last name of Young for my 2nd book! If you haven't read The Shack it's as good as the claim! I enjoyed the message and thought of how life would be easier if I applied it better to my life. Check it out on Amazon!

Amazon.com: The Shack eBook: William P. Young: Books

Mackenzie Allen Phillips's youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in this midst of his great sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change his life forever.

Felicia

Old 11-08-2013, 04:08 PM

Fleeced by By Carol Higgins Clark.

Amazon says:

Regan is in New York to attend a crime conference organized by her celebrity-author mother. A friend, Thomas Pilsner -- the frenetic president of the Settlers' Club on Gramercy Park -- calls Regan, desperately pleading for help. Thomas is distraught over the sudden suspicious deaths of two members of the Settlers' Club. The men had promised to donate a cache of valuable diamonds to save the Club. But now the diamonds are gone, the men are dead, and Thomas is a mess. He fears the police will suspect he is at the heart of both mysteries, and worse yet, he'll lose his job.
Enter Regan. Who better to solve the mystery of the missing diamonds and suspicious deaths? Who better to contend with the quirky characters around the Club, such as Lydia Sevatura, the self-styled "Princess of Love," who operates a dating service, and her butler, Maldwin Feckles, who has just opened the first school of butlering in New York City?
Fleeced is a witty portrait of modern urban life.

I have started a 3rd book and will probably be reading a 4th.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Subbing
Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I read Mrs. Scrooge (A Rocky Hill Christmas) (Rocky Hill Romance by Barbara Britton . I figured Barbara is a common enough name I won’t have any trouble finding another author. I’m giving you Amazon’s view Single mother Samantha Dean doesn't have time for Christmas. Or romance, for that matter. She is weeks away from opening her own catering business, the most important part of her plan to provide her certified genius daughter Patty with all the wonderful things she deserves. Except Patty doesn't want to go to a fancy boarding school. She wants a father and when she meets bartender Murphy O'Rourke at her fourth grade Career Day presentation, she knows she's met the man of her mother's dreams! But can she convince her Mrs. Scrooge of a mom that it was time to give Christmas -- and love -- a second chance?
It was a cute Christmas story & I enjoyed it

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

This month's theme was a little challenging for me to find two books that would fit. I started to read one by Sandra Dallas and had another one by a different Sandra picked out but didn't care for the book I started enough to finish it so decided on two authors with the last name of Keller.

The first is "Helen Keller, The Story of My Life." From the book cover: For the first nineteen months of her life, Helen Keller is a normal child who laughs and plays and explores her surroundings. But a high fever robs Helen of her sight and hearing, leaving her alone in a dark, silent world. Until the day Anne Sullivan comes into her life, Helen's only means of communication are crude signs and gestures. With the help of her new teacher and friend, Helen learns to read and write. Slowly she begins to triumph over her handicaps.
I did enjoy this and it also reminded me to appreciate nature and "stop and smell the roses" because a lot of her first lessons were done outside in the wooded area around her home in Alabama.

The second book I read was "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23" by Phillip Keller. From the book jacket: "Equipped with a shepherd's experience and insight, Mr. Keller leads and prods the reader to the greenest pastures of discovery and the coolest waters of fulfillment hidden in the "Shepherd Psalm." Pleasure and enlightenment are the rewards for those willing to follow his careful leading. Special emphasis is placed on the Shepherd of this Psalm. Revealed are His person and untiring desire to care for His sheep. Each Christian reading here will be encouraged and delighted by the expressions of love that Christ extends to His followers.
I enjoyed this book and learned a lot about shepherds and the special attention sheep need to be kept safe, well fed and free from insects and disease.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

HI ladies I am back from vacation. Here is a little about the 2 books I read this month.

The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken
I have a proposition for you." Kacey should have run the minute those words left Seattle millionaire Jake Titus's mouth. It's been years since Kacey's seen her childhood friend Jake, but the minute Jake mentions his ill grandmother, Kacey is ready to do anything for the sweet old woman. And if that means pretending they're engaged for her sake-so be it.
But Kacey wasn't counting on Jake's older brother Travis still being there. She calls him "Satan" for a reason: she's never forgotten the way he teased and taunted her. Yet when they meet again, Travis's gorgeous smile is a direct hit to her heart . . . and Kacey's more confused than ever. As the days pass, only one thing starts to become alarmingly clear-she never should have accepted Jake's deal . . .

Rescue Me by Rachel Gibson
She's 33, unmarried, and stuffed into a Bubble Yum pink bridesmaid dress. And the whole town wants to fix her up with anyone with a dental plan . . .
Who's going to rescue Sadie Hollowell now?
Everyone in Lovett, Texas, knows Sadie has always been a "notional" kind of gal. She got a notion to leave town ASAP and never visit her daddy (bless his heart) again. Now she's back and got the notion to invite a good-looking, hard-muscled, total stranger to her cousin's wedding. Better a stranger than some of the losers she's dated.
Vince Haven got his muscles the hard way—as a Navy SEAL in Afghanistan. He's staying in Lovett to visit his crazy aunt—the proprietor of the local Gas and Go. Before he can get the heck back out of the small town, his aunt makes him an offer he can't refuse. Maybe he'll stick around Lovett for a while. Maybe he'll make a "go" of the Gas and Go. Maybe he'll rescue Sadie out of that pink dress!

Charlotte
Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Nine Year Member

Even though it didn't have to be two different authors, I wanted to see how two different authors approached a similar genre. I was having a hard time finding two different authors with the same name, first or last, that met my criteria for blending with the class I am taking and that also were free in price, but not from the library. I finally found two that I could download to my Kindle for free; two bioterrorism science-y books whose authors have the same first letter in their names, "A". Here is what Amazon has to say about each of the books. I started the first one last night and will report on them both when I am done, hopefully over Thanksgiving Break!

Assassins by Andy West and Ian Watson.

'Canadian historian Abigail Leclair´s discovery of an enigmatic medieval poem leads to a menacing visit from ICE, a branch of America´s Homeland Security. But how can medieval religious fanatics, the Assassins of Alamut, have any possible connection with present day terrorism? Abigail´s intense curiosity, and her refusal to be cowed, leads her to a reckless and exciting jaunt across hazardous Middle Eastern lands in company with a charismatic Syrian professor. Meanwhile, back in the 12th century, a Syrian doctor of genius is obsessed with understanding the nature of the deadly plague known today as the Black Death, the "seeds" of which he risks his life to discover amid tribal warfare deep in the forests of Ethiopia.'

Effected Intent by Alan Ross.

'Steve Pfister is a reticent polymer chemist who lives in the past, unable to let go of his military experience. His latest invention gets the attention of some high level government officials, leading to an opportunity to work on a top secret project with national security implications.

Life couldn’t be more routine for computer programmer Bill Miller, until he stumbles on information that he shouldn’t have, including a bioterrorism plot. Unable to come forward with the information, he needs to find an ally to believe him before it’s too late.'

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 11-12-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here is the 2nd book I read that is free on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble Mystery Book #1) eBook: Nicole Young: Books

and here is Amazon's description: A run-down Victorian to renovate, a past to leave behind--who has time for romance...or murder? Patricia Amble, Tish to her friends, has gotten her life together. She's renovating an old, rambling Victorian house in a small town outside of Detroit, and the fixer-upper should net her a big profit when she resells. Romance is right next door, with two attractive neighbors vying for her affection. But even their persistent attentions can't dispel the sense of unease Tish feels. Voices whisper out of nowhere . . . and something odd is going on in the basement. Soon, Tish begins to question her decision to buy the old house. When a dead body turns up her own dark secrets make her a prime suspect in the current chaos. And is either of her attractive neighbors really who he says he is? What is going on just under the surface of this sleepy small town? Find out in this engaging debut of the Patricia Amble Mystery series. Nicole Young has a degree in communications and has earned several awards for speechwriting and presentation. In 2004 she won the Noble Award for the Best First Chapter from the American Christian Romance Writers. Nicole lives with her family in Michigan. This is her first novel.

I thought it was a cute read. Good first book.

Felicia

Old 11-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I do have to say that the book didn't get good reviews. And I understand why. But geesh it's her first novel........ so I get it. She'll get better, every author does! It's starts off good and kind of goes downhill from there but again, I thought it was an ok first novel and mystery.

Felicia

Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I posted a thread for the December Book Club Theme. So come on over and vote for our next months theme.

Charlotte

Closed Thread