Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lewcas: I too love stories that have recipes in them. I just read one today. It was a novella. I'll have to look on my kindle for the name/author.

Felicia

Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM

I finished Innocent in Death by Nora Roberts writing as J. D. Robb. This story is set 50 yrs into the future.

Lt. Eve Dallas tries to close a case at the exclusive Sarah Child Academy, where two bright 10-year-old girls discover the body of Craig Foster, a popular history teacher who proves to have been poisoned by ricin-laced cocoa. Dallas wonders if another staff member or a parent might be involved, but after the prime suspect, a promiscuous teacher who's been harassing another employee, turns up dead, the investigation takes a shocking turn. Besides a provocative puzzler, Robb provides an intense relationship update on Dallas and Roarke, her Irish power broker hubby, whose dark past—in the form of a crooked ex-girlfriend—returns to cause trouble.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-14-2013, 04:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Since Mystery & Suspense is what I love to read, this month was pretty fun.

The Hit by David Baldacci

This is the second book in the Will Robie series. The following is from Amazon---
Will Robie is a master of killing.
A highly skilled assassin, Robie is the man the U.S. government calls on to eliminate the worst of the worst-enemies of the state, monsters committed to harming untold numbers of innocent victims.
No one else can match Robie's talents as a hitman...no one, except Jessica Reel. A fellow assassin, equally professional and dangerous, Reel is every bit as lethal as Robie. And now, she's gone rogue, turning her gun sights on other members of their agency.
To stop one of their own, the government looks again to Will Robie. His mission: bring in Reel, dead or alive. Only a killer can catch another killer, they tell him.
But as Robie pursues Reel, he quickly finds that there is more to her betrayal than meets the eye. Her attacks on the agency conceal a larger threat, a threat that could send shockwaves through the U.S. government and around the world.

This is a very good book for those who like intense page turners.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My second October mystery is what I call a "cozy" mystery. This one is in a series that revolve around a needlework shop in Minnesota. Here is what Goodreads says about "Framed in Lace" by Monica Ferris
When the historic Hopkins ferry is raised from the lake, a skeleton is discovered. Unfortunately, the only evidence is a piece of lace-like fabric. But once Betsy Devonshire and the patrons of her needlecraft shop lend a hand, they're sure to stitch together the details of this mystery... "Filled with great small-town characters...A great time!"
I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys "cozy" mysteries.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM

I have read a 3rd book by Nora Roberts. Even though it doesn't qualify for an award, here is what Amazon says about it.

Morrigan's Cross

In the last days of high summer, with lightning striking blue in a black sky, the sorcerer stood on a high cliff overlooking the raging sea…

Belting out his grief into the storm, Hoyt Mac Cionaoith rails against the evil that has torn his twin brother from their family’s embrace. Her name is Lilith. Existing for thousands of years, she has lured countless men to an immortal doom with her soul-stealing kiss. But now, this woman known as vampire will stop at nothing until she rules this world—and those beyond it…

Hoyt is no match for the dark siren. But his powers come from the goddess Morrigan, and it is through her that he will get his chance at vengeance. At Morrigan’s charge, he must gather five others to form a ring of power strong enough to overcome Lilith. A circle of six: himself, the witch, the warrior, the scholar, the one of many forms, and the one he’s lost. And it is in this circle, hundreds of years in the future, where Hoyt will learn how strong his spirit—and his heart—have become…

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I had read a 3rd book too but it also doesn't qualify for an award as it is not a mystery. But it was a cute novella called The Bake Off by Susan Willis.

Synopsis: Nicola can't believe it when she is invited to appear in the regional television competition of The Bake Off.

Still reeling over her husband leaving her for a slim, pretty twenty-something, she feels her competitive side flair up when she meets her main rival - a stunning, skinny, twenty-four year old called Gemma.

Nicola is sure that the jaw-dropping gorgeous presenter, David Chambers, is flirting with her - but she has noticed he has his eye on Gemma as well.

He may be attracted to Gemma's pert figure and flirty laugh, but he can't resist Nicola's delicious cooking.

Is David as charming as he seems? Or will someone else catch her eye...?

Can Nicola beat off the rest of the competition in The Bake Off? Will she win first prize... and her man?

Felicia

Old 10-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I read "P" is for Peril by Sue Grafton. Here is what the cover says about it America's favorite P.I., the no-nonsense Kinsey Millhone, takes on risky business when she probes the mysterious disappearance of a local physician. It's a case filled with fraud, suspicious partners, and greedy wives. The real peril for Kinsey,however lies in the amorous advances of her new landlord --an irresistible Texan with a dark past.

The mysteries kept my interest enough that I wanted to finish it but there were so many people mentioned in some of the investigations that I had trouble keeping straight those who were not main characters. It was just an okay read.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I just finished Castaway Cove by JoAnn Ross. It is part of her Shelter Bay series. Here is what Amazon says Single dad Mac Culhane has traveled to some of the world’s most dangerous war zones, but now he and his young daughter have settled in Shelter Bay, where he’s become the late-night DJ for the local radio station. The last thing he expects is to connect over the airwaves with a caller....

After a painful divorce, Annie Shepherd opened up a scrapbook store in town and started volunteering with local senior citizens. Although she loves her work, dreams of the family she longs for keep her up late, listening to Mac Culhane’s voice on the radio.

When Mac and Annie finally meet in person, the attraction between them is instantaneous. But Annie isn’t ready to lay her heart on the line, and neither is Mac. Fortunately, no one in Shelter Bay is about to let a perfect match escape the magic of true love..

Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I read an Eye Spy book...unfortunately I can't recall the full title nor the author, but it was spooky and fun to read. does this count? I know what the cover looked like, so if it counts I'll go look it up, if not, well that's okay too.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sharon your book sounds like a book I would like to read. I will have to put this one on my reading list.

Charlotte

Closed Thread