Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member

Finished reading "Game, Set, Match" by Nana Malone" most of the story line was very good, but there were parts, I had to skip over. TMI on some of the parts.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I read 2 book recently

True Sisters by Sandra Dallas

This is historical fiction about a group of Mormon on their journey across the country to Utah. The story follow several of the women through the hardships of the journey. It is based on a true event.
From Amazon
In 1856, Mormon converts, encouraged by Brigham Young himself, and outfitted with two-wheeled handcarts, set out on foot from Iowa City to Salt Lake City, the promised land. The Martin Handcart Company, a ragtag group of weary families headed for Zion, is the last to leave on this 1,300-mile journey. Three companies that left earlier in the year have completed their trek successfully, but for the Martin Company the trip proves disastrous. True Sisters tells the story of four women from the British Isles traveling in this group. Four women whose lives will become inextricably linked as they endure unimaginable hardships, each one testing the boundaries of her faith and learning the true meaning of survival and friendship along the way.

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg
Here is a review from Amazon
Combining southern warmth with unabashed emotion and side-splitting hilarity, Fannie Flagg takes readers back to Elmwood Springs, Missouri, where the most unlikely and surprising experiences of a high-spirited octogenarian inspire a town to ponder the age-old question: Why are we here?

Life is the strangest thing. One minute, Mrs. Elner Shimfissle is up in her tree, picking figs, and the next thing she knows, she is off on an adventure she never dreamed of, running into people she never in a million years expected to meet. Meanwhile, back home, Elner’s nervous, high-strung niece Norma faints and winds up in bed with a cold rag on her head; Elner’s neighbor Verbena rushes immediately to the Bible; her truck driver friend, Luther Griggs, runs his eighteen-wheeler into a ditch–and the entire town is thrown for a loop and left wondering, “What is life all about, anyway?” Except for Tot Whooten, who owns Tot’s Tell It Like It Is Beauty Shop. Her main concern is that the end of the world might come before she can collect her social security.

In this comedy-mystery, those near and dear to Elner discover something wonderful: Heaven is actually right here, right now, with people you love, neighbors you help, friendships you keep. Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven is proof once more that Fannie Flagg “was put on this earth to write” (Southern Living), spinning tales as sweet and refreshing as iced tea on a summer day, with a little extra kick thrown in.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Joy thanks I love Fanny Flagg & will try & get from my library

Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I read The Rancher, I forgot the author . It was a western form the late 1800s, A young man from a large family( more books I'm sure) is blaming himself for his friends death. Everyone assures him it was not his fault but he is wallowing in his guilt. He finds out the friend left him a lot of land in another area. His brother tells him he thinks the death was murder & goes with him. He ends up marrying his friends old girl & helping to solve a string of violent acts. Another freebe

Old 09-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Joy, You won't believe this but I also just read True Sisters by Sandra Dallas.
I thought that I had the other book by Fannie Flag but can't find it. I do have a couple of her other books. We must have the same taste in books

Don't know if there is much more I can add to a review of True Sisters. They sure went through some rough times with walking from Iowa City to Salt Lake City and pushing little handcarts, many of the young ladies pregnant at the time and some of them giving birth on the prairies. They had more difficulties than previous groups because of leaving later in the year and getting into wintertime and snow. I like historical fiction and Sandra Dallas is one of my favorite authors.

Last edited by apricot; 09-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Joy both your books sound really good. I will have to see if I can get them on my Nook.

Charlotte
Old 09-22-2013, 09:17 AM

I have read The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.

Unusual novel for Stephen King. He took the classic fairy-tale form and turned it into a work of fiction that will keep readers of all ages interested.

A kingdom is in turmoil as the old King Roland dies and its worthy successor, Prince Peter must do battle to claim what is rightfully his. Plotting against him is the evil Flagg and his pawn, young Prince Thomas. Yet with every plan there are holes—like Thomas’s terrible secret. And the determined Prince Peter, who is planning a daring escape from his imprisonment…

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Apricot--- I read a bit of everything, but enjoy historical fiction. I have read other Sandra Dallas books and really liked them. True Sisters was actually the book my local discussion group read this month.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

The October book club theme poll has been posted. Please come vote for the theme you would like for October.

Charlotte
Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member

Started "The Husband School" by Kristine Rolofson. It takes place in small town of Willing, Montana, where there isn't enough females for the male population. A short book so I should finish by the end of the week.

Closed Thread