Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sharon, I PM'd you.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 AM

All taken care of.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I read P. D. James' "Death Comes to Pemberley".
Jane Austin fans may enjoy this mystery as it is set in Elizabeth and Darcy's fictional estate of Pemberley. The story begins 6 years after their marriage as the household is preparing for the annual autumn ball. On the eve of the ball, chaos descends, Lydia Wickham, Elizabeth’s disgraced sister who, with her husband, has been barred from the estate, arrives in a hysterical state—shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. There are several twists, a trial and an ending that may or may not be all that surprising.
I enjoyed the book and it was worth reading.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM

I read Wisconsin by Dana Fuller Ross.
It is the 19th book in the Wagons West series.

Lumberjacks were drawn to Wisconsin because of the vast virgin forests. They were hard drinking, hard working men. We still have towns in northern WI that survive because of the lumber trade.

Toby Holt owns a lumber camp in WI and a lumber mill in Chicago. He is forced to deal with the underhanded acts of a competitor. His good friend Lt Henry Black is engaged to his sister Cindy. Henry is in Germany on a Washington DC assignment. He gets involved with Gisela, a Baroness who always gets what she wants.
Henry Blacks trials and tribulations over Cindy and Gisela force him to make a decision between the two.

The private lives of Toby, his family and friends provide light reading and is a quick read.
A look at the early days of lumberjacking.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Everyone's books sound interesting. I wish that I had more time to read.

I just finished At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. It is about an Episcopalian priest, Father Tim who lives in the small town of Mitford by the Blue Ridge Mountains. His secretary, Emma, is a little rough around the edges. Barnabas, a huge black dog adopts him, he ends up with the responsibility of caring for a hostile 11-year old boy, and a friendship with his new neighbor, Cynthia begins. He also learns that he has diabetes. There is some mystery with an episode with stolen jewels and another with drug dealers but basically it was a light read about his everyday life and dealing with the people's different needs and sometimes odd requests. It is the first in the Mitford series.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I read the book Haunted on Bourbon Street by Deanna Chase. It is about several ghost that haunt people in New Orleans and how the people become friends and fight the bad ghost to put him into the next world. Very interesting book. I have never read a book like that before.

Charlotte
Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 AM

All the books sound good.

Charlotte, I would like your book. My dd lived in New Orleans and I was down there to visit 4 or 5 times.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sharon I always wanted to go to New Orleans. Someday I will get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seleach View Post
All the books sound good.

Charlotte, I would like your book. My dd lived in New Orleans and I was down there to visit 4 or 5 times.

Charlotte
Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Christmas Tree Lane
By: Debbie Macomber

It is the last of the Cedar Cove Series written by Debbie Macomber.
She writes about her friends, family, and PNW town with a fictitious air and a bit of reality.

In this last story Ms. Beth Morehouse runs a Christmas Tree Farm, every year many of the Cedar Cove residents purchase their Christmas trees from Beth's farm...this year however, Beth now has a litter of puppies she must find homes for, and with the help of the local vet, she receives a little more than she expects in the giving and receiving of the season.

I re-read this story for two reasons, one because it is about a place I have lived near and in a good portion of life - and still have family in, and because it is one of the more happy touching reads in the series...it also helps that Hallmark is not showing commercials of this part of the TV Series of Cedar Cove (also filmed in the PNW - ****spoiler**** not entirely in the actual town).
I read the soft/paper form, but I know it is available on e-reader's.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 08-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Jen, That sounds like a fun and light read. How cool that it is set in a town where you've lived.

Closed Thread