Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

June Book Club

The theme this month will be

Book with a pet as a main character or that has a type of pet in the title.

Let us know here what you are reading and a little about the book when you have finished it.

Charlotte
Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 AM

subbing

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I am going to read Conversations with Skip by Donna Mabry

Charlotte
Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 AM

I am reading The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell.
This is a cat who solves mysteries.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

'Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World'
by Vicki Myron (main author) & Bret Witter
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I just finished reading a cat who ..book, namely The Cat Who Could Read Backwards, I believe it was the first by Lillian Jackson Braun. This involves a newspaper reporter, an art critic, several artists of various and questionable talents and tastes with some murder mystery in the mix. The cat is a Siamese named Kao K'o Kung (after a 13th century artist) or Koko for short and at first owned by the art critic, later on adopted by the news reporter who learns to read the cat's body language to help him solve the murder mysteries.

I have read several other Cat Who murder mystery books by this same author but this one seemed to have quite a few big words in the beginning that I had to look up in the dictionary, then it got better. Sharon, I think that I read the one you're reading about 3 years ago and liked it.

Jen, I read the book about Dewey last year and really enjoyed it.

All the books everyone is reading sound good.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 AM

I have finished The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell by Lillian Jackson Braun.

Pickax residents are looking forward to celebrating the 150th anniversary of their town's founding. Everyone is involved in making preparations for parades and performances.
Newspaper columnist James Qwilleran must find time to entertain out of town aspiring architect Harvey Ledfield. Harvey wants to make sketches of Qwill's house which used to be a barn.
Strange things happen. While at Qwill's, siamese cat Koko leaps from the balcony on top of Harvey's head while he was drawing. The next day Koko gives his death cry. Soon people are wondering why they have not seen Harvey's Aunt and Uncle since Harvey arrived.
A knitter with psychic powers predicts murder and a woman from Calif travels to Pickax to give him a message. It's up to Koko to help Qwill put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Apricot, I think it's funny that we have read a book by the same author at the same time.

Last night I read a 2nd book about cats.
The Cat Who Loved Christmas and Other Short Stories. Each story is written by a different author.

Pumpkins Gift by Patricia Chapin.
Jen and Robert moved from the South to Boston. Jen missed her family and she was still upset after her 2nd miscarriage and did not want to try again. Robert did and they argued a lot. She decided to leave Robert and go back home. She went to a phone booth to call her mom when it started thundering and raining. A little orange ball of fur showed up at her feet.
She saw a nearby house had an open door. She went there and it was the kittens home. She and Laura sat down and over tea Jen told her story. Laura gave the kitten to Jen. Pumpkin was a lot of company for Jen and her home didn't feel so lonely. Things got a lot better for Jen and she decided to stay in Boston. In a few months Jen had a secret and she told Pumpkin not to tell Robert. A heart warming story for sure.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sharon, Thanks for the award. Yes, that is interesting that we both read a book by the same author.

Your other book sounds good too.

Now I'm debating between two books, one about a dog and another about a cat by a different author.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 PM

Since I have 2 pet books read for this month, I started another 1000 page paperback titled Sarum. It is a historical novel about Great Britain. How the island was formed and events that took place from the dinosaur age to 1986. All the history is true and time it took place is correct. The people are of course all fictional.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-08-2013, 05:57 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sharon sounds like an interesting book.

Charlotte

Closed Thread