Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I re-read one of my favorite books "Angel Unaware" by Dale Evans Rogers. It is the story of Dale and Roy Rogers' Down's Syndrome daughter, Robin. They were told in those days to put her in an institution, but chose to keep her in their home through out her short life. It is beautifully written from Robin's point of view as she tells God about her life on earth with her family.
I first read this book as a young girl and re-read it often (usually in May) as it has more meaning to me as an adult.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Joy sounds like a wonderful book.

Charlotte
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I just finished Darius & Nicholas (Lonely Lords) series by Grace Burrows. An english series during Regency time. Darius is a youngerson of a bad father who hates him. He is offered a large amount of $$ to impregnate an older Earl's young wife. It is the only way the Earl can provide for her. Of course they fall in love. Nicholas marries Darius sister to save her from the father ( who has stolen all the funds to go to his children) who was selling her to an old rake. He refuses to sleep with her thinking he has produced an idiot. His byblow is retarded. He learns she is damaged by bad fevers when a small child Typical light reads but enjoyable .

Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I just finished "I Am Intelligent" by Peyton and Diane Goddard. Diane is the mother who is telling the story of her journey of her life with Peyton, her autistic daughter. As a toddler she does learn to speak a few words and smiles a lot but is slower compared to other children her age and is considered retarded by one doctor (autism was not defined at the time). Her mother spends many sleepless nights with her when she has involuntary muscle movements including hitting and throwing things. Before her teens she becomes totally mute, which the mom finds out years later started when she was abused by a relative. Much later a facilitated type of communication is invented that allows her to type one letter at a time, with guidance, and answer questions. First she is asked a simple question like what is her favorite food, which later leads to the question what do you want to say and she types "I am intelligent," which surprises the mother. She later graduates from college and becomes an advocate for all people with disabilities. Throughout the book there are poetic type verses of her feelings during the situations that her mother is describing.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:48 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have read the book "Maine" by J. Courtney Sullivan. It is about Alice Kelleher and her family.

For the Kelleher's, Maine is a place where children run in packs, showers are taken outdoors, and old Irish songs are sung around a piano. As three generations of women arrive at the family's beach house, each brings her own hopes and fears. Maggie is thirty-two and pregnant, waiting for the perfect moment to tell her imperfect boyfriend the news; Ann Marie, a Kelleher by marriage, is channeling her domestic frustration into a dollhouse obsession and an ill-advised crush; Kathleen, the black sheep, never wanted to set foot in the cottage again; and Alice, the matriarch at the center of it all, would trade every floorboard for a chance to undo the events of one night, long ago

Charlotte

Closed Thread