Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-25-2002, 07:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Birthday gifts for the elderly?

I am looking for a good gift idea for an elderly person.(80 yr old)
This is for her birthday. In past birthdays I gave gift certicates for haircuts, paid electric bills, cable, etc. Any ideas?

janet
Old 07-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

How about giving her your time, maybe take her to out to eat and to a park and museum or shopping or maybe just sitting and talking all afternoon. It seem that my grandmothers {one is 79 and the other is 80} would rather have my time and attention than anything else, I think they get lonely and a whole day of your time for just them might be wonderful.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Time does sound like a good gift for her. She doesn't like to eat out so maybe I should bring her lunch? What do you think?

janet
Old 07-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bringing in food sounds wonderful. Older people always seem to like food and time.

Great idea!
Old 07-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Those all are good suggestions, but mine will be coming from someone who worked in nursing homes here in Fla. Many of them are no longer mentally alert enough to know what is going on. IF they are capable of walking, or are in a wheelchair, and you know they will eat a fairly decent meal, taking them out is fine. But, so many do not show interest in eating anymore, and I know a couple, or so, things they could use. One thing is a sweater that is warm with buttons in front. Or an afghan to put across their lap. Elderly people more often than not feel cold. Another thing is a nice housecoat that fastens in front, or warm ankle-height slippers (for those who don't get up on their feet, (avoid slippery soles), but sit in a wheelchair during the daytime. A bathrobe should be one that opens ALL the way down the front; not one with a zipper opening partially down. Most are past the point where cologne interests them, but it would be nice to give them a nice fragrance about them. Someone to see to it that their nails are cut, and cleaned, denture tablets for dentures, or to scrub them for them. A nice soothing hand cream, and if they are not able to use it themselves, put it on for them. Their skin is very dry. I can tell you a lot of these things are NOT done due to the shortage of help, but once in awhile there will be one conscientious aide who takes pride in her residents while on a shift, and the person's hair is combed and brushed nicely. A haircut, or perm also is another suggestion. These are only some of the things I can think of for now.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Blondie!

Good to hear from you, great ideas!

This lady is my Mom who still lives at home, shovels snow, runs a chainsaw, and watches her stories! You know people in the UP are tough birds! lol

You know they are so proud they never ask for help and hate to buy or receive unnecessary things.

Gee it makes it hard to get her a present.

janet
Old 07-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

janet--Your mom sounds like she's strong as a horse! --How about a trip to the beauty shop for a hair-do, or nails manicured?

The other things I suggested were things I know about from working in nursing homes, but your mom sounds a loooong way off from there!

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My Grandma's would probally turn me over their knees if I got them a lap blanket... and they probally still can. Grandma B. wouldnt even use her senior citizen card for discounts or anything else until she was 80 and she could have used it at 55. They both live alone and require no assistance, they do their own shopping and one of them still drives everywhere she goes. Janet, sounds like they would get along great with your mom.
Blondie those are great suggestions for some elderly, our church does alot of work in the nursing homes in our area and our ladies group has made lap quilts for them several times, they are very appreiciated. I think a visit regularly means more to them than anything though.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Graceygrammy,
Yes, I think they would get along great. I sure hope I got some of my Mom's genes...she is such a hard working lady and lives by herself and has for the past 10 years. Snow is a big problem here and she blows all her snow, shovels her roof, day in, day out! There are times we get snow everyday for 6 weeks and I am about ready to lose my mind...it gets to be too much! I wanted her to come and stay with us for atleast winter and she says...What the He-l would I do all day??? I would get bored! She actually likes winter better than summer. YIKES!!! I noticed our elderly only go to a nursing home when they break a hip and never recover fully or when they get confused. We have alot of elderly living alone and pushing snow..it must keep them young. Our neighbor will be 80 in August and he rides a bike up & down our hilly area everyday! He rides fast too! Man, I am such a marshmellow! LOL

janet
Old 07-27-2002, 05:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

a nice freahly made and framed family portrait so she can see you all the time..did this once long time ago and she still talks about it am in the up too and half her age and still get stuck in the drive from too lazy to shovel..ill take a lesson from her....thanks