Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Wonderful Ideas Stitcher45!!!

Reading books onto tapes with your own voice...that is great!!!

There are some really great suggestions...heck I would LOVE some of them and I am not that elderly yet....atleast the last time I checked! lol

janet
Old 08-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

stitcher45--

What a GREAT idea!! Especially for one who is blind. (I'd like that, myself.) To have it in your voice, too, seems such a good way to do it. I'm sure your mom will love it. As it was said, she can listen to it over and over.

Hope she has a very happy birthday.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Skydiving and Bungee jumping

Hi Sue L. hmm...sky diving and bungee jumping????My mom would probably love that but did I tell you...I am a wimp!!! compared to her! She would want ME to go too!!!

I try to keep my feet on the ground! lol

What a laugh I had reading your suggestion! Thanks for starting my day off with laughter, heals the soul!!!;-)

janet
Old 08-03-2002, 05:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Colleen: Your post reminded me of the time our cousin did something like you mentioned. My mother-in-law was always so thoughtful. She sent cards to ALL family members, tho she had many, many nieces , many grandchildren, greatgrandchildren etc.
He and his wife were going to be traveling many places for their vacation, so they bought many birthday cards, addressed them, stamped them, and asked people in different places to write a short wish for her and send it. She was so surprised when she began getting so much mail from all over the United States. She couldn't believe that strangers could be so kind as to do that. Johnny was surprised that so many took the time to do that and follow thru also. She made an album with all those cards and would take it down and look thru it and many times experienced that happiness again.
People like to be remembered, so the gift or thought really isn't what matters, but the rememberance.
There have been so many thoughtful things mentioned here and it makes me realize what beautiful people we have in this world, and the love they have for others. God bless you all.
Doris
Old 08-03-2002, 06:13 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

awesome ideas!!

What I used to do for dh's nana before she passed away--I'd clean her house, top to bottom, do all her laundry, mow her lawn and weed her flower bed. I'd make her a nice lunch, eat with her and just talk. Then I would read to her--the paper, the Bible, a magazine, whatever she wanted. I gave her a tape of my son singing her favorite hymns. I also bought her a phone that had huge buttons, and would check out large-print books for her since she couldn't drive. She often told me I had more consideration for her than her kids!

I got my gram things like a warm robe that had extr-large buttons, instead of a zipper or a tie; slippers that had a tread on the bottom; I'd do her nails and set her hair. She has no eyebrows, and when she got really sick, I'd put them on for her if she was expecting company. She was always appreciative--I know she's up in Heaven laughing her head off that I told the guy that made her up for her funeral to make sure he got the brows right!
Old 08-03-2002, 06:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Wonderful ideas Mrsmaniac! Gee, this might be easy afterall!

Thanks

janet
Old 08-04-2002, 03:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lightbulb Gift that keeps giving

Maybe you could give your mum a box of greeting cards for the many occasions that arise during the year. Handmade if you are crafty, or a beautiful boxed set, or even a selection from the local shop. Include envelopes and stamps (maybe even address some of the envelopes for her!!) A nice Daybook to reord the families special occasions in is also nice.

Meg in Australia
Old 08-04-2002, 03:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

OOps! Just read a few more posts, my ideas are not so original after all!! But still might beb good!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Doris...what a wonderful idea that is also! I must keep that one in mind. Thanks for your response. hugz..Colleen
Old 08-21-2002, 03:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HI, This is my first reply so bear with me. Both my parents and my husbands parents are both gone now but I remember them always asking me to pick up some greeting cards for them for different ocassions as they found it difficult to pick them out in the greeting card stores. Why not get them a book of stamps and boxes of greeting cards. I find them in the $1.00 store and Walgreens. They have 8-12 different cards, some with just birthday, sympathy, anniversary and other boxes have a mixture
of cards in them. A couple of nice pens would also be a nice touch. Hope this helps and you can use my idea. Jodi