Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

memory quilt

I'm sure there are pictures of the quilt. My grandmother passed away but my mother may have some. I don't have a scanner (my friend does) If I find them I will send them. Thanks for your interest. Roxie
Old 08-02-2002, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gifts for Elderly

How about a good, warm homecooked meal that you bring over and eat with her, along with a small birthday cake(or maybe cupcakes with candles. Sometimes, older people get real tired if they are out and about for a long period of time. You might even get her a good book to read in addition.

Sue L.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gifts for the Elderly

Now that I have read all about the person you want to give the gift to, I think maybe you should take her skydiving or bungy jumping.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My Nana is a bit older (91) but still active. I asked her what gift over the years has been her favorite. Twice a year I give her an assortment of greeting cards, some pretty stationary (that has lines) and a few books of stamps. Nana loves to write, but is no longer able to drive. By giving her the things above, she can send a card or letter without having to ask someone take her to the store. Nana is also on a fixed income, so an assortment of Birthday and Anniversary cards is always high on her list. I don't just buy the boxed kind of cards, I take the time to pick ones that sound like something my Nana would send.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Hi Sue L, & ajrussell,

Welcome, and hope you enjoy this site. Lots of fun and interesting people here.

I read your suggestions for a birhday gift, and think all are very good ideas. I do wonder, though about sky-diving!! The thought of an elderly person doing that makes me laugh, although I have seen in our paper more than once that it has happened.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gift giving idea for elderly

Hi! You might consider getting together items like all-occasion
cards, holiday cards, stamps, stationery, etc....perhaps assorted
gift wraps, ribbon, tape. ... things that can be used to give to
others. People on fixed incomes some times have a hard time
making ends meet during holidays and special occasions because
the above items can be costly. What about a gift certificate
to her favorite store....dept., grocery, etc. Just some thoughts.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:20 PM
Friend of the Family

Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

If your mom enjoys just being with you, how about a afternoon spa or facial for the two of you, maybe a manicure. Even a trip to a Mall with a big ice cream cone and a visit. Material things are nice but the time you spend with them will be treasured the most. It doesn't always cost a lot and the benefits are remarkable for everyone involved!
Old 08-02-2002, 04:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I read in a magazine one day..(wish I could remember which one it was...), but I thought it was a good idea. Someone's elderly parents' birthday was coming up and the daughter sent out letters to all of her parents friends telling them when the birthday was and to just send a card or note. (the parent was well enough to have a party) The parent was totally surprised as everyday they'd go to the mailbox and there would be a bunch of cards. I thought that was nice and am contemplating something like that for my dad's 80th birthday!
Old 08-02-2002, 04:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Colleen,

Welcome to the boards, and forum. You are on the way to meeting some very interesting, and friendly people.

Your birthday idea is a good one. I had forgotten how much it means to the elderly to receive written correspondence of some kind. I'm sure it will work for you.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

If your elderly person is not close to their family you could make a tape and have all the members of your family say something personal to the person. I know this is something that my Mother gets a great deal of enjoyment from because she can listen to it over and over.

Something else that I have done for Mother is to read a book onto tape. She is blind and enjoys her books on tape that she gets from the blind commision. She says it is nice to hear the books read in my voice. I usually pick books that are not too long and the room you record it in needs to be very quiet. Try to do it when you won't have interuptions. (hard to do sometimes when you have a young family at home hehehe)

Boy there are some great ideas that have been shared on here. I am going to write them down so can remember them when I need an idea.

Have a great week end

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.