Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-27-2002, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

graceygrammy,

Yes, visits are important especially if the one you're visiting is alert enough to know you're there. Even the other ones need someone to come pay attention to them on a personal basis. I have seen so many in nursing homes who never see one person come visit them that it is sad. Even if they don't respond verbally, it would do them some good to have someone come fix their hair-put a ribbon in it, clean and cut their nails, bring a pretty new housecoat, a sweater, a lap robe, new slippers, southing hand lotion,--and put some on their arms and hands for their very dry skin. Some people had family who came in and did everything for their mother or father from bathing, to all of the things I mentioned, plus feeding to see that they did get their food. It is a state I am not anxious to find myself in one day.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

janet--

Your mom sounds real hep. I can just picture her!

I am 79, and my mother passed away two years ago at 99 and a half. A sister of hers was 95 and a half. My father was 93. I don't think about age, and don't remember ever spending much time thinking about it. It never bothers me. If you live long enough you're going to grow old. I have been a "laugher" most of my life, and especially since I have been at this end of it. I just don't dwell on things for long. I have done a lot of changing in my attitude about some things, don't do things the way I always insisted on doing them, but still hang on to some basics I was raised with. Life is going fst now. I can't believe how fast a week goes by, or a month. Here we are up to August almost, and before you know it Christmas will be back. Also, I have found I am not afraid of death. It just plain doesn't bother me. We're all going to have a turn. On the other hand, my dh is a worry-wart over such silly nonsense, he drives me up a tree. Everything with him is "If this", or, "If that" --Phooey!!

Old 07-27-2002, 07:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

gifts for the elderly

I have been priviledged in my life to have had 3 pairs of great grandparents and 2 pair of grandparents.

What they have all like is when we come to visit and do things that they like to do. Some liked playing cards or board games, some liked taking walks outside. Some like going out to eat.

Find out what the person really likes and give them your time.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Blondie!

Well you sound like a really hep lady too! You are lucky to have such good age genes too! I would of never guessed your age...I'll be 50 and my days and weeks fly by fast too! I heard when you get older this is true..so I must be old too!!!

Wow, how old is your daughter??? Haven't seen her on any posts...she must be vacationing?

Take Care,

janet
Old 07-27-2002, 07:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here's one that I love

I just did this for my grandmother's upcoming 80th birthday and truly love the idea (given from a close friend) because when people get older they are SOOO difficult to buy for!

I contacted my state senator and put in a request for the US flag to be flown at the nation's capitol in her honor. She will receive an authentic letter from them stating that the flag was flown at the US capitol in her honor and signed by them. They will also mail the flag to you. It is VERY inexpensive and is so easy to do. I just think this will really mean alot to her

Good luck!
Lonya
Old 07-27-2002, 07:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle I forgot something else sweet

One other wonderful thing I did for my grandparent's 65th anniversary was compiled some old photographs and had them transferred slideshow on a VCR tape with nice background music.
This brought back wonderful memories for everyone that watched them and it was inexpensive too. I took them to a video store that did this on the side instead of going to a big professional business and save 3x what I would have spent there and the video was fabulous!!!
Lonya
Old 07-28-2002, 06:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Hi janet,

I think my daughter may be spending the week-end with her other daughter. I haven't heard from her since very early yesterday morning. She will be 57 on Nov. 13th. Her older brother will be 58 on Oct. 17th, and the two younger boys were 51 last June 1st, and the last will be 49 the 29th of this month.--Tomorrow.

I feel the same as I always have, but don't have the amount of stamina I had before I got my pacemaker. I "ran" all the time before. Iwas working in a nearby nursing home, and at work one afternoon began to get short of breath, very dizzy, and had ringing in my ears. I had a nurse take my blood pressure, and when she finished, asked me if it always was high. I was shocked, as it always was normal, or on the low side. She told me it was 160/90, and I almost dropped.
I KNEW something was wrong, and going to a cardiologist for a year didn't seem to make any improvement even after tests he put me through. Things stayed the same. One day, whle driving on a big expressway I felt "funny", and decide to get off, and go home. I was going 65 miles an hour, over a bridge with a river belw loaded wih alligators, and prayed I didn't black out, and hit anyone, or go in the drink. I got off at the first exit, sat on the roadside for about 10 minutes, and headed for home about 12-14 miles away. It took me six more stops
to get home, by which time I ws hysterical. My dh called the dr'. but he was off that day, so went to see his partner that afternoon.--HE did an EKG, and put me in the hospital immediately. I had a pacemaker the next morning. They found I had heartblock, or "sick sinus syndrome", and all my electrical nodes were completely blocked. There is no known cause, or cure. It basically means your "wiring" is shot--for good. So, here I are!! That dr. saved my life.

Old 07-28-2002, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: Birthday gifts for the elderly?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by janet
[B]I am looking for a good gift idea for an elderly person.(80 yr old)

Hi Janet,

I know this is a very ambitious project but one you could do for next year maybe.

I have a very large extended family including all my nephews and nieces. A few years ago my sister-in-law cut out a bunch of 10inch squares of unbleached muslim and sent them to every person in the family asking them to design a square for a quilt for my grandmother. She gave us plenty of time and included a self addressed stamped envelope to send them back. Some were elaborate patchwork, applique etc. Some were hand painted. Even the mothers of the infants in the family impressed little hand prints/feet prints onto a square. Toddlers and little ones used fabric paints etc. When all the squares came back my sister in law put them together into a beautiful quilt. My grandmother was thrilled beyond words. Good luck Roxie
Old 07-28-2002, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Roxie,
What a great idea....wish I would of posted this last year! lol My older sister is a quilter so I'll get her involved with the project! Thanks for your help!

janet
Old 07-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Blondie!

So glad you got your ticker all straightened out! What a scary thing to experience. You must have great Doctors where you live to work on this so quickly!

Start working on your family book, you don't want all these stories to get lost! You write in such an interesting way!

It could be a gift from the edlerly to the youngster in the family and passed down from generation to generation.

janet