Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ideas for sixteenth girl birthday!

Audrey will turn 16 on Oct.17 ,with money being tight this year I'm trying to come up with inexpense ideas for gifts & maybe something done with cupcakes for the sweet. Her birthday is on Wednesday so I was thinking maybe her favorite soda ,small candy & small gifts wrap in a basket with ballons attached sent to her school.Any other suggestions will help alot.Thanks!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You can send things to her school?? Wow, that would never fly here.

If she is into the "girly" stuff, then use coupons & sales to pick up some "pampering" items like nail polish, cosmetics, accessories, maybe a new hair brush, things like that for the basket. Maybe a card with several pairs of earrings--those are often $5 or less for 5 pairs. And maybe you could make some coupons for "mom & daughter things" you can do together in the months ahead that are low- or no-cost.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes things can be sent or taken to school with in reason, I've seen flowers that had been sent there.Of course they were left in the office to the end of school but the sutdent is call to the office where the see what they got.For the basket with small gifts I may wait til she gets home ,yes she loves finger nail pohlish ,makeup of any kind,needs new earrings & necklaces so that would work.We seen the packages made up with the ckoes & small candy & she had a fit for them so that is what I may do with one or twoo ballons attached .They don't sale her favorite drink cherry coke so thats why I thought of putting maybe a couple with candy in so kind of cheap container found at the dollar store. The basket of small gifts maybe given before she goes to school or right before she has to go to church that night for atctives. I'm sure her young womens leader will have a large cookie or cake for her as they like to make a big deal out of the 16th birthday as thats when the youth gets to start group dating & other big steps.Thanks for the input thats some items I diidn't think about.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Assistant Moderator

What about some homemade coupons? Maybe date them and spread the ideas or goodies out for a month? That is something you could do for all of your dks birthdays.

If you want to send something to school, why not a simple rose in a bud vase? You could use real or silk.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Connie all of those ideas are things that I would not of thought up.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Nell, please tell Audrey happy birthday for me!

Is she wanting a party or anything? Since she is into the martial arts, you could have fortune cookies (easy to make) and Oriental food. You could play some silly games such as who can kick the highest. Well, I don't know much about the marital arts, but you get the idea. Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

DeBora no I'm not able to do a party so thats why I was wanting to do something special that was low cost & different.Her brother is going to send her some flowers to her school maybe.I will more than likey take her out to eat. Not sure what else I'll do yet.I think some of her friends have something up thier sleeves but they haven't told me yet.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Nell, what about making some fortune cookies with happy predictions in a basket as a gift?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What aboutmaking her up a poster board or some type of picture memory board?
Take a picture from birth-now and make a lil saying about eachpicture. Find some SWEET 16 poems, quotes and post them about or even on with the pics. i made number 13's outta diff colored consturction paper and even used some crafty scissors on soe of them. I hung them up around the house with fishing string! Make your own signs too and post them about the house! and I write all the mirrors in the house! lol There are markers made for glass too-I write on the front door and windows!!
I dont know if you can make some sort of banner and signs for the front yard/porch.

I just try and make a HUGE deal of the milestone birthdays!! 16 is a pretty BIG one!!

Make her your own poem and messages written by you to her. Or really special ones to her you may find. Write her a lil message or something. You can even make her a lil special picture book of times that were important or special to you and her. They like a big deal made of them even if they dont say it!!

Can you make her a cd of all her fave songs on them?? Make her fave dinner/after school snack? Maybe fave dessert? I like to put a lil somethign on the kids beds for them to find too! I try and do a balloon or 2 tied to the bed or whatever I sit in the bed for them. My daughter is way into makeup and perfumes/sprays too (nail polish/girly stuff) so thats always neat to find too. Bath baskets are a good way to go (bubblebath, body wash, puff.....)

Good Luck!!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:09 AM
Head Moderator

Sounds like wonderful ideas! Maybe you could browse the dollar type stores and see what make-ups they have. Some of the ones around here even have ballons! You might just come across some other things that she would enjoy. And you could have her favorite dinner that night at home with the family. Tell Audrey I said I hope she has a very
Happy Birthday!