Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Gift exhange with friends

I need some advice on this situation.

It is just DH and me and we don't have any close family that we exchange gifts with for birthdays and Christmas. We are friends with a family that lives in the same city and doesn't have family near by that they exchange gifts with either. They started a tradition of 'suprizing' us near our birthdays and Christmas by stopping by and bringing gifts. We usually open the birthday gifts while they are here and catch up on each other's news. At Christmas we just visit and keep the gifts to open on Christmas day. This worked well at first when neither of us had a lot of money and we would usually get a nice colored T-shirt or sweater and then several small but useful things from the dollar store.

For Christmas we would maybe give a gift certificate to a restaurant and then a small individual gift to each of them, such as candy or a candle, etc. Last year I gave their 17-year-old son a CD holder but don't think I could think of anything different for this year besides candy. Even gift certificates cost a lot now.

Both of the adults have better paying jobs than we do now and the last couple of years both DH and I have felt that they have spent too much money on the gifts they have given us and also we have too much 'stuff' already. We do enjoy the visits since it is the only time we see them now with our busy schedules. After this year I woud like to either stop exchanging gifts with them or set a dollar amount on one gift. (The lady's birthday is on New Years and I have already bought a gift to give her then.) Have any of you told friends that you wanted to stop exchanging gifts? How did they take it?

Sorry this is so long.

Last edited by apricot; 07-29-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
If you really consider them to be good friends, I would take the honest approach and say that you would like to stop exchanging gifts and just enjoy their company.

Do you all get together for dinner? Instead of spending money on gifts, maybe you could do a theme party for birthdays and then a special dinner for Christmas--or make it a casual tree-trimming & Christmas carol type get together. I would love to do something like this with my neighbors for Christmas.

If they still chose to bring gifts, just accept them graciously.

Just an idea........

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom
Do you all get together for dinner? Instead of spending money on gifts, maybe you could do a theme party for birthdays and then a special dinner for Christmas--or make it a casual tree-trimming & Christmas carol type get together. I would love to do something like this with my neighbors for Christmas.

If they still chose to bring gifts, just accept them graciously. .

When their kids were younger we used to get together for dinner and/or dessert and play a board game almost every Friday, but we all have full-time jobs and busy schedules now, so can't do that any more. I have thought about inviting them for dinner or dessert around Christmas and birthdays, but the lady is a diabetic now so I feel very limited in what type of food that I can serve that would still be good for "company." I try to eat healthy myself but it seems kind of boring to serve to other people. The man's birthday is in October, so I may just give one small gift and set the tone then. I know they will want to do something for my 50th next year, which would be okay but after that I want to suggest stopping the gift exchanges and maybe just getting together for dinner or something.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by apricot; 07-30-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Laura, We actually went thru this a few years ago with 2 couples we are friendly with, and I just said 'whatever you guys were gonna spend on gifts for us this year, why dont you use the money towards the kids,(meaning their kids) instead. I just told them we were cutting back on giving gifts to friends(except maybe home made cookys etc., which I still do) We have our 2 gd's and dd, not to mention my parents and my db and family, and thats enough for me, it was just starting to be way too much, and there is enough stress on the holidays without the added burden of what to give friends. My dh gets a few gift cards for gas stations for just a few really good friends, only because thru out the year they help him with certain jobs, but thats about it.Also pick up a couple of "megabucks tickets to put in with Xmas cards. Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If they still want to do something suggest a charity you could all donate too. That way you can give what you want & still know your helping someone else.cau

Old 08-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sandie,
They started giving us gift cards, along with lots of gifts too, which we felt was too much. We don't have kids ourselves so don't have a lot of family to give to but it gets more difficult to try to get something different and reasonably priced for them every year. They have given us lots of nice things but some of them we don't even use. They probably feel the same about some of things we've given them, even though I try to give things that are practical and can be eaten or used up. BTW, what are megabucks?

Cau,
Their daughter got married last year but their 18-year-old son still lives with them. There are no grandchild yet. I need to give the charity idea some thought and see if I can come up with one that we would both feel comfortable with

Thanks to both of you for the ideas.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

LOL, sorry I assumed every state has Megabucks, they are the weekly Lottery tickets you pay $1 apiece for, you may have them and they are called something else,now that I think about it, maybe not all states do this. They have all kinds at the grocery store and conveinance stores. Last year we put 5 tickets in a card for a neighbor,and he ended up winning $50!! so you never no!!I never have any luck, once in awhile dh will break even and just buy a few more tickets, me, Im too cheap to keep buying them, all I do is waste a dollar every time I buy one,lol. Another thing you could do is make up a fruit basket, you can do that very reasonable, every time I see a nice basket at the flea market I always pick it up, and I know it will come in handy for something,also another thing I did last year was buy a crate of "tangerines"(the wooden crate) added a big bow , and also added cheese and cracker, and candy, I did a few of them and they were just in case we got something from someone we didnt buy for,(for us its usually neighbors that do this) If you just really dont want to exchange at all, its probably better to just outright say it. It bothered me a little the first year we cut down, but everyone else was relieved too, it was just that no one wanted to say anything. There is alot of inexpensive "basket ideas, even if you want to do them. I have alot of ideas if you need any. One is an Italian one, I did, with spaghetti sauce,breadstix,pasta,(put it in a clear cellohane and tie with a bow to look pretty, you can get cheap colanders in $$ stores, and spaghetti tongs, potholders, etc., just have fun with it ,Im so DONE stressing over holidays, it used to take me 2 weeks to recover, because I wanted everything to be perfect, and I like it much better the way we do it now. The only ones that I tend to spoil are my 2 gd's and dd. My dd's Bday is 2 days after Xmas, so that was always another added stress when she was growing up,lol.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sandie,

I was just now able to get to this thread. For some reason every time I tried earlier it kept opening the page over and over again. Anyway, now I remember there was a big controversy over starting megabucks in California and whether they were legal or not. Our friends are not the type that would like megabucks or lottery tickets. The basket idea sounds nice but I'm afraid it would get "too big" since I have kind of done that without the basket in the past. I'm thinking of giving them movie tickets for Christmas this year and then her birthday is on New Years and I've already bought a homemade gift for that, so I guess we will exchange one more year.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Funny you mentioned having trouble getting to the thread, since FC changed over to this new look, it seems to take forever for any page to open, and it only does this hereto me, no where else??Movie tickets are agood idea, or for about the same price as movie tickets, get a dvd or video, and add some microwave popcorn and thearter type candy to it, Ive done that a few times for friends, alot of people (us included) would rather watch a movie at home, they should feel lucky that you are putting so much thought into this!!I just rmembered in the dollar store I picked up plastic popcorn containers, that look like the boxes you get popcorn in, at the movies.

Now you have me thinking who we are and arent giving to this year,LOL!!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:46 PM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great information . Thanks for the share .