Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-28-2002, 08:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Your bedroom

What color and style is your bedroom decorated in?
Do you and your spouse have similiar styles in which you like the bedroom to look (rather than say, floral versus more masculine.)
trainlady
Old 10-29-2002, 06:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

When I married my husband he had purchased a masculine looking paisley comforter, shams, pillow and dust ruffle for quite alot of money so I've had to get used to that.

Four years ago we painted the builder beige walls a light peach color that blended well with the comforter set. (It's base color is a reddish brown with touches of greens and golds). We changed the carpet to a dark brown. The windows are still undone--we have WalMart green mini blinds in them. The furniture was my husbands. It is probably 25 years old and in need of some reconditioning. It is a dark walnut stain. We have a dresser, mirror, headboard and two night stands. We've have hanging on the walls two relatively nice pictures and a framed hankie of my grandmothers. Those actually have a touch of blue in them and I guess because they hang on the peach color wall they look okay in there.

Now, if I could just keep the room clean it would look really nice!
Old 10-29-2002, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am getting ready to re-do my bedroom. I am painting the walls LIGHT gray and featherdusting them with black. My dresser is dark brown. I am getting a black wrought iron 4-poster bed frame. My bedskirt, valance, & mini-blinds are all black. I am not sure about the carpet color yet...may do tile w/area rugs.

Remember:
Wherever you go, there you are!
Old 11-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hubby couldn't care less what the decor is, he never has. We have a black four poster with white gauze draping over the top bars (you know the look I'm talking about?), and more gauze as a valence on the windows, over mini-blinds. The dressers are a set of art deco style furniture I bought from a friend who inherited a houseful of furniture she had no room for, and i refinished it and LOVE it. Walls are a color that belies description. It's not light brown and it's not mauver and it'[s not pinky and it's not dusty rose, it's sort of the color of mid-range foundation/make-up! I found a Q-tip holder in this color about 12 years ago and said THIS is the color I want in my bedroom. Current linens are a green and peach stripe with green accents. My sister-in-law, every time she goes through a life-change, buys new linens, so we inherit her old stuff, LOL! Thankfully, the colors have always worked.

Most of the rest of my house is in sage green with black and smoky rose accents, so this segues very nicely. This is the only room in the house that isn't faux-painted or glazed or marbleized or other custom paint-treatment. I figured the fabric was creative enough.

No flowers in my house, never ever ever. No florals and no country.

Rani
Old 11-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Our bedroom

When we moved 2 years ago, I had already purchased a new comforter and some of the curtains to match. We painted the walls with a tan that has a touch of peach to match a lighter color in the comforter. Then we put up a thin strip of molding about 5 feet up from the floor and painted it a lighter off-white color. We put border just above the molding (the border is the same pattern as the comforter).

Shortly after, I realized that I really didn't have any place to hang pictures - the border & trip was just high enough that I'd end up putting a hole in it! But, I found these cute museum style hangers made of wrought iron bars in Pottery Barn's catalog - you hang the bars up near the ceiling & then it has bars that hang down with clips on them. You set you pictures / art / etc between the clips. We have a ton of black & white photo's of our daughter that we hung. It turned out great and really looks different.

Our bathroom has the same paint/trim/border. The print is feminine (it's floral), but the colors are muted enough to be sort of masculine.

At our previous house, we had ribbons & roses - in blues & pinks. I was on bed-rest for 3 1/2 months when I was pregnant and was tired of it - 3 1/2 years later we moved and I was SO happy to have a reason to re-do the bedroom!

Lisa
Old 11-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Kasparkat,
WOW, who would have ever thought, choosing a bedroom wall color from a bottle of makeup foundation!!!
You Go Girl!!! A Very creative type you must be!!! I am impressed!!!
Peace,train
Old 11-03-2002, 02:44 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

One of life's surprising lessons on this subject!

Hi Everyone;

I just couldn't resist sharing this story with those of you who are still struggling to find that perfect style for your bedroom that will accomodate both your feminine side and DH's masculine side.

DH and I have been married 22 years now. Since the day we set up our very first apartment he was very adament about our bedroom not having one single floral design. He wanted solids or stripes. I adore florals, paisley's, plaids and everything dainty but trying to be a good wife I did my best to abide by his wishes. For 11 years I'd had enough solids and stripes to last a lifetime.

We were in a dept store looking for new linens and a bedspread when I came across this wonderful "floral" quilted set, on clearance, that I just fell in love with. I wanted this set so badly and I kept explaining to DH that we just couldn't beat this price for the quality.

In the midst of making my plea for this set I heard a strangers voice summoning my DH. This gentleman, in his late 80's, was tapping DH on his shoulder and said "Son, I have but one question to ask you as I see your little wife trying so hard to let you know how much she loves these bed coverings." My DH was surpised but out of much respect for our elderly he told this gentleman that he would try his best to answer him. The elderly gentleman continued, "Son, would you rather sleep and live with a man or would you rather sleep and live with a woman?" DH was now certain that this had to be a joke so he immediately replied, "Sir, I am married and have chosen to sleep and spend the rest of my life with a woman, my wife." The wise elderly gentleman then leaned over and so calmly told DH, "Well, I was worried cause I could see that you have a problem with your home or bedding looking femine which made me think that maybe you'd prefer to live with a man. But, since you seemed pretty certain about your choice to live with a woman, then why not let your little wife decorate her home to reflect that person with whom you chose to sleep and spend the rest of your life with. I just lost my wife of 64 years and I'd give anything just to see her femine touches around the home." The old gentleman thanked my husband for listening, shook his hand and every so quietly shuffled away.

Without a single word DH grabbed that bedding set as though it was his favorite and got to the nearest cashier.

As I initially stated, we've been married 22 years now and I've spent the last 11 enjoying my femine touches throughout our home. If he sees something really pretty and femine that he knows I'd love he even surprises me with it. I am the only female in this household. I have 3 sons and he has relayed this story time and time again to the boys.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

a woman's touch

Hi all,
Thanks for that post EJaginLa. I only wish my husband read these posts.
Ciao for now,
Irene
ps........I am also the only female in the house, I have 3 sons. I have been married 15 years.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My bedroom walls are a dark tan with a lighter cream colored carpet. The waterbed headboard is neither real dark or real light. I chose a bedspread and valance with an animal print. It has a lot of green in it. The brown loveseat has two animal print pillows. A coupld of yds of animal print fabric cover a small upholstered chair. And a few pieces of "African" art, candles and things for decoration are scattered throughout. A giant poster of a tiger is on one wall, with masks on another. Lots of green plants complete the room. I'd like to buy some large lidded wicker type baskets to use as storage and place on top of the bridge/headboard mirror. I thought this was a good way to compromise... not really feminine or masculine. And it brightens up an otherwise dull looking room.
Christine
Old 11-03-2002, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband was so used to all white walls that he really dissapproved of colour until I painted our daughter's room. He was so taken with it he made no objection when I decided to paint our room. I chose a dark purple and had intended to lightened it with a wash but once it was on the walls I fell in love with the colour.

The bed throw I dyed to match and I have a yellow swag for the window. However after it took hubby a year to get the curtain pole up I misplaced the rings!!

I've had added a few decorations in purple and gold and am going to stencil a design in gold and silver.

The bed is a dark pine King size in a simple Shaker-like style.

The whole room is quite strong with a gothic influence and I find it very relaxing. I think hubby is quite surprised that he likes it so much himself.