Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-03-2002, 01:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Esch, I am curious if you know anything about feng shui and if so, what bagua the bedroom is in? You have decorated it in the colors associated with "prosperity" and I'm curious if that was deliberate and if the room is in the prosperity bagua of the house.

For anyone to whom this is a foreign concept, imagine that you have a tic-tac-toe grid laid over the floorplan of the house, with 9 sections, like #, and generally your front door will be along the bottom, the 7th, 8th, or 9th square. Each of the 9 sections, called baguas, corresponds with an area of your life You can enhance a bagua by using the colors and items that enhance that area. For instance, purple and gold enhance Prosperity.

Unfortunately, my prosperity bagua corresponds ith my 16-yo-son's room. But when we put new flooring down 2 years ago, we painted the subflooring purple before laying the tile. Apparently that's good enough, it doesn't have to show.

Rani
Rani
Old 11-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

EJaginLa,
What an absolutely beautiful and precious story.
Thank you for sharing.
Trainlady
Old 11-06-2002, 12:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bedroom

My husband and I have been redoing our whole house. It started with our bedroom. The walls are painted a red color. Its a deep classic rouge color. Hmm that doesnt describe it well at all. It is a very warm room even though the color is closer to dark than light. The trim is gray. The floor has carpet because we have tiled almost our whole house, just not our bedroom yet. We have to move our bed which is a California King waterbed that my husbands father built for us. It has a 6 foot head board that is glass and has 3 shelves on each side. Also it is a canopy. We bought a waveless mattress and cover for it and boy is it comfortable. Our ceiling is covered with glow in the dark stars and planets. Yep! That is the kids in us. I had put them up in one of my childrens rooms and I thought hey I like those and I want them. So our whole ceiling and even our ceiling fan has them on it. The walls have many photos. Some are of a sunset on Anna Maria Island on the gulf of mexico here in FL. Some are of me, my kids, and my husband loves KISS so there is a gold record and some pink floyd stuff. Also we collect swords so that is on one wall and we collect pins from all the Bike Weeks we have gone to and we have that in a glass case. The room definately reflects both of us and luckily we share the same interests. The bedroom door and master bath door are painted Garnet red as is all the doors and closet doors in our house. Something my husband and I came up with. We wanted all our doors and closet doors to be red. The trim in my whole house is the same gray, each room is painted different. Mostly greens (Hunter green in the living room, Sheffield green in the dining rm, a shade lighter in my master bathroom, bluish gray in my sons bedroom, midnight blue in the hallway, another reddish in my oldest daughters bedroom and blue in the kids bathroom. The den is now a bedroom and it is mostly shelves, panel and brown paint.) We tiled our living room/hallway/kids bedrooms in gray stone like tile. We tiled our dining room in a wood looking tile. My house is looking pretty good. Of course if you have the same tastes as me.....lol I love my bedroom because everything in it my husband and I picked out together. Even the design of the bed we chose together.
Felicia Fish3711
Old 11-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My bedroom is a storage closet with a bed....anything that dont have a place,,,goes in my room!!!!

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 11-08-2002, 04:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

EJaginLa,
Wow, what a lovely story. Sounds like you have a heck of a hubby, too!

I recently redecorated our bedroom and used Christopher Lowell's book "Seven Layers of Decorating"(?) as inspiration. My DH was skeptical but the book really guides you through selections of the seven important elements: 1)wall color/architectural elements, 2) flooring, 3)upholstered furniture 4)wood casegoods 5)fabric elements 6)accessories/plants & 7)lighting. I think I got them all (the book went back to the library after I got done-lol). The room came out great and we love it...I highly recommend this book to anyone that is unsure of which direction to take.

Mari
Old 11-08-2002, 06:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

DH and I just purchased our dream house the past summer. I have always loved the beds made out logs. One summer while I was at church camp with the teenagers my husband made me a bed made out of logs and carved our names and wedding date on the bed.

Our new bedroom walls are painted an eggshell color with barnwood as a chair rail all around the room. We also used barnwood to do the botton and top wall trim. In one end of the room over the fireplace we have an antique black & white picture of my husband's great grandfather and all around the this large picture are smaller black & white pictures of my grandparents, great grandparents and one of my great great grandparents. Our quilt was hand made by a friend of the family and is a scenery picture of wolves. We have used the same wolf material for the curtains and have pictures of wolves on the walls. Also I found two small bedside lamps with sculptured wolves on them. DH and I love the outdoors look and this is the bedroom we have always dreamed of.

Lynn
Old 11-11-2002, 04:05 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Our room used to be the attic, so I'm having a bit of a problem decorating it lol!! We think we've come up with something, though. Our comforter has diamonds in shades of burgundy, navy, and hunter green, with touches of beige. Our carpet is burgundy, and the walls are white. I want to match the walls to the beige in the comforter(the way the walls and ceiling are, they'll have to be all the same color). Then, on the angled part of the "Ceiling", I'm going to paint a diamond pattern in a darker color beige. Fortunately, dh and I agree on almost everything when we decorate lol! I'm not into a lot of florals, but there are touches here and there--my nod to femininity usually involves either a very soft fabric, or curvy lines(ie, we have a mirrir with a masculine iron frame, but the design is curvy, so it's feminine, too.) I also have lots of candles, but they aren't pink lol!! Even now, we get lots of compliments when people see our room--it's not quite gender-neutral, but we're both comfortable in here! I just want to get rid of these white walls--the light reflects and we go blind hehe!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Assistant Moderator

As long as the room is not overtly pink dh doesn't mind what colour our bedroom is done in. I'm probably pretty conservative, my walls pale blue with cream carpet that has caramel flecks. I have just changed from dark blue curtains to white curtains. My colour is in the bed coverings and pillows, gee does that have colour, bright and bold and easy to change when the mood takes me, that is what a sewing machine is for LOL.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Nine Year Member

I started with all white and over the years have gone to blue, tan, and a deep red floral quilt. We need the color to mask the wear and tear of a family lounging on the bed one of our gathering spaces especially on a Sunday morning. I like to read on the quilt sprawled across it sideways and dh likes to listen to his ham radio in the afternoons.

The walls in our bedroom are the only ones that we haven't painted in the 19 years we have been in the house. I would like to freshen them but haven't. And the curtains have an ivory background and now I think darker curtains might actually make the room feel brighter by their contrast with the walls and sunlight coming through the windows.

The older I get the more color I want.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 11-02-2006, 06:12 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

We still have the burgundy carpet and white walls--dh has now decided he'd like to try a faux-finish to try and hide some of the uneveness of the drywall. But everyone he's talked to says it won't work..ergo, nothing has changed. He'll just wait until someone agrees with him and then he'll do it. ~sigh~ Then there's the money issue lol!! The room is pretty big and it'll cost a fortune no matter what we do. I did upgrade our comforter to a rich chocolate brown velvet--it's a very decadent thing, but I love it. Makes me feel like a princess when I snuggle under the covers lol!