Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Around the Kitchen Table Just want to talk about food? This is the place to sit back, grab a cup of coffee (or tea) and chat about food.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Nine Year Member

Sounds interesting, nice and easy. Will give it a try.

Roberta
Old 09-21-2015, 03:05 PM

I have this cookbook that I bought on Amazon.com a few years back called Depression Era Recipes. Lots of good recipes in it. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link for it, but you can google it & it will bring up the link to get it.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

SOS does bring back memories! My mom's version of this was fairly easy. We had chickens, ducks, rabbits and cows on our small farm.
Mom would use saved bacon grease add flour to make a roux, add milk (fresh from the cow) to make gravy. We chopped boiled eggs in it too. Sometimes we had left over meat in it. but usually it was just the eggs over mom's light and fluffy biscuits or rice. Dessert was fresh butter and home made jam on the biscuits!!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Assistant Moderator

Yep I sometimes think kids of today miss out on the simple joys of simple food, with no additives ... it just seems that it all goes to fancy stuff and policing of what's in lunch boxes by schools (well over here anyway). What I packed for my boys lunches in primary school would not be allowed and it was by no means junk food but not what 'they' recommend, they always had meat and veg for dinner at night. My boys are still skinny sticks with hollow legs in their 20's

Old 11-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I wish the schools would serve more foods with nutrition in them that the stuff they serve now! We LOVED pizza day because there was REAL cheese on the pizza and a LOT of it! Hearty foods to give energy and "feed the brain" and not full of empty carbs which turn into sugar and make them sleepy!

I have an OLD cookbook that has timbales recipes in it. Have made 2 kinds and they are great for using up leftovers. It's old enough to give you detailed pictures and instruction on how to cut up your chicken, duck, goose and beef or lamb. I do prefer mine cut up before I buy it! I think it was published in 1930. LOVE the old cookbooks!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Assistant Moderator

Garage sales are great for the really old recipe books.

Our schools lunch system works differently than yours we HAVE to be within guidelines of sugars and fats, I know I work in a high school canteen, whenever we have new recipes we have to calculate. We make most from scratch not allowed to serve hot chips but can do oven potato wedges. It's called the stop light system different foods are allowed for each week or month, green all the time, amber most times, red once per month.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 AM

Bilby

My goodness what wonderful things you posted. I loved the advertisement, just love to see what things sold back then and for how much. And I have saved your two recipes to try look simple and frugal. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anna