Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Around the Kitchen Table

Around the Kitchen Table Just want to talk about food? This is the place to sit back, grab a cup of coffee (or tea) and chat about food.

View Poll Results: How many cookbooks do you own?
1-10 9 20.00%
11-25 11 24.44%
26-50 10 22.22%
51-100 2 4.44%
more than 100! 13 28.89%
Are you kidding me? What's a cookbook? 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

New Dawn and Patti, I have several very old Betty Crocker cookbooks and Better Homes cookbooks. Some were my great-grandmothers, some my grandmothers and some my mom's. I think those are the cookbooks I use the most or refer to when I have a question.

~Mother Theresa

Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Stacey and welcome. Glad to have you join us.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Sammi it is great that you have that many of your families cook books. I have one can not think of the name of it right now but it is about the size of a novel and has a dark green cover and it was my beloved G-Moms I use it a lot. It has in the back a recipe simply called French Cake that I like to make it is a dense cake. Mama use to make it a lot guess that is why I like it.
I need to try to go to sleep got to get Steven off in the morning and then Stacie is picking me up for some gad abouting nite all who are reading this
Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have 4 "vintage" cookbooks in my collection. One was my grandmother's, one was DH's grandmother's, and 2 were given to me by friends who know I like old cookbooks. Those last 2 are the only ones that I dare open, since the first ones are pretty destroyed (covers falling off, page edges crumbling). I keep them on a special shelf and never use those first ones.

Hi, Stacy, and welcome
Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have more recipes than cookbooks, also have a recipes cd for computer, it has 1 million recipes on it. I have so many recipe file cards and such as well as the cookbooks I have. I can always find a recipe when I need it. Also I like allrecipes.com it is a great site to find recipes.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

One of my g-moms I also just admire don't dare open it. But will not throw it away or give it up in anyway.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I like allrecipes.com too. Good site.
I have cookbooks that belonged to my mom. My grandma never used a cookbook. All her recipes she learned from her mom and they were all in her head. Including Christmas cut out cookies.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook of my grandmother's - it even has recipes she clipped from cans of food to cereal boxes, stuffed everywhere! I only removed a few (duplicates). Another of my favs is the one my sister made for our Christmas present one year. She used a 3-ring binder and the plastic sheets you could put papers in. She typed up the recipes our family uses.... and then put pictures of diff family members from the past on some of the pages.... made us all cry.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LuvMyKids,
What a lovely gift to receive. My favorite recipes are those I get from people I know.

Liz
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My hubby is the cook and the cookbook collector. He has well over 200. His favorite kind are the church/community ones. He rarely follows a recipe exactly. Most of the time he will combine one or two recipes together or just read them to get ideas.

Missing my Mom...1/15/07 ~ 1/15/16
Nine years without my best friend

•*¨*•.ƸӜƷ•*¨*•