Using powdered milk for everday milk to save money? - Page 3 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Around the Kitchen Table Just want to talk about food? This is the place to sit back, grab a cup of coffee (or tea) and chat about food.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat lover
I keep powdered milk mixed up to use in my cooking and to make puddings with. When the Ds's were small I also mixed up 1/2 gallons of chocolate milk and strawberry milk (using strictly powdered milk)in the refrigeratorfor them to drink. Another thing we used to do when they were small was to mix 1/2 gallon 2% milk with 1/2 gallon mixed powdered milk to make a gallon; no one ever complained; even DH! With milk going up in price I suspect I'm going to have to come up with another way of using it for drinking now that DH can have. I paid $3.00 a gallon a couple days ago and that was on sale!
I hadn't thought about making chocolate milk. My kids love chocolate milk!

I was shocked when the skim milk in our stores went to $3.95 gal. !

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

As a child we got powdered milk free in the surplus box each month. I might be strange, or so I'm told, but I like the taste of powdered milk. To me it does not taste the same as cow's farm milk or store bought milk in a jug but I like the different flavors. I also like soy milk. I have not used the flavored soy milk(vannilla ) but I did try the choc and for me that was awful. Non of my family liked powdered milk and so I sneaked it into whatever milk they would drink. They never knew.LOL I never noticed it settling in the milk though. I did have to mix it up with warm water to make sure it all disolved, and then added cold water to make amout it called for. I mixed it half and half...Maybe a little more. I also used it in cooking and the only time they asked was when I used it in whipped potatoes. BTW,my grandma never used anything but canned milk in her whipped potatoes. You can definatly tell it is in there though, But again I liked it.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy
BTW,my grandma never used anything but canned milk in her whipped potatoes. You can definatly tell it is in there though, But again I liked it.
A few years ago in a restaurant in Maggie Valley, N C my DH loved the mashed potatoes, we all just knew they had to be fresh and not instant. WRONG! I got the cook to tell me how she made them; she used canned milk, a BIG spoon of mayonnaise and butter in them! I only make them this way now, they have a "different" taste yes, but they are soooo good! It works with instant or fresh!
Old 07-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Years ago when my four children still were home we used 28 quarts of milk a week. I drank it all the time, too. I decided to try mixing powdered milk with it to cut down on money spent. I waited until the kids were in school, did my mixing, and they never knew the difference. I had no problem with the way it mixed. I still drink milk today, but 1%.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:12 AM
Nine Year Member

Our local dairy uses glass half gallon jugs. It seems that when I took the time to boiling water sterilize them that the reconstituted milk tasted best then.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Head Moderator

That is so neat that you can get your milk in glass containers! I keep trying to use more glass instead of so much plastic; but it just doesn't store as well because it can't be stacked! I have two old haf gallons milk jugs from the 1960's that I mix the chcocolate and strawberry milk in. Just don't do that as much now that the boys are grown and gone.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just thought that I would add this tidbit.....

My son was never a white milk drinker before I started using the powdered non-fat milk. He even balked at drinking the left over milk from his cereal.

Now, he loves this milk! He even said that he will start drinking it in a glass. lol!

This last time that we mixed a batch, we added an extra 1/2 cup of water ....they noticed no difference. So the next time, I will add an extra cup. I will keep stretching it until someone says something.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

This seems a little sneaky ladies. I understand you're trying to save a buck but wow. I think I would definetly taste the difference and I do not like powdered milk. In cooking it is one thing but for cereal or drinking, there is nothing like good fresh milk.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsdad
This seems a little sneaky ladies. I understand you're trying to save a buck but wow. I think I would definetly taste the difference and I do not like powdered milk. In cooking it is one thing but for cereal or drinking, there is nothing like good fresh milk.
Welcome to Family Corner, jtsdad!

I started this thread to see if there were others out there using powdered milk. My family actually likes this milk.

My son was never a "plain milk" drinker but he loves this milk.

The idea of saving money for something that my family actually likes, is a big plus for me.

While it may not work for everyone, it is working for us!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

That's great if you're fam likes it. Wasn't trying to offend . We all know how expensive milk is these days.
I just thought it was funny that it was being slipped into the families milk to see if they would notice a difference.